Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mack

A message from our sponsor...

Take a class of 40 kids...you're going to have ones that are hard to deal with or break rules...whatever....

Multiply that by 100 and that's what MSH has...4000+ members. Bound to be some bad apples. The mods are doing a heck of a job to keep the peace. By all accounts, this board is very well run. You'll never eliminate all the problems.

Take a class of 40 kids...you're going to have ones that are hard to deal with or break rules...whatever....

Multiply that by 100 and that's what MSH has...4000+ members. Bound to be some bad apples. The mods are doing a heck of a job to keep the peace. By all accounts, this board is very well run. You'll never eliminate all the problems.

The passion with which the mods do their job is the biggest factor to the smoothness. Mockery and ridicule for outright stupidity by senior members helps too but only so much. The bar to entry is low and there is no true penalty for being an asshat and possibly getting banned.

...and posting things twice will go a long way to make you popular

<_<

I got an error, clicked the link that said go back, voila, double post.

Although, on my bar to entry point, if it cost $5 or $10 to register, you'd get less people doing so. BUT the quality of members would improve(See somethingawful.com as an example, the guys that created http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=NHL_Rink). You would have to leave the boards readable to the public still in order to attract new blood.

Couldn't agree more.

And I have to agree with the bad apples comment, but it wouldn't hurt to find a way to limit those bad apples. For the most part it only takes a couple/few weeks before they understand how this board is run, with the exception of a few former members that shall remain nameless.

Yeah, that's one of the problems. I honestly didn't read the rules until after I got a warning for my avatar and I only read it once. I think that people can get a basic understanding on what is allowed and what is not if they just read posts for a while. I've read a few first posts from users recently that mentioned that they were readers a while before they registered and they followed the rules in their posts and had better questions than you'd expect from a first time poster. Definitely not saying that it's a quick fix but something to consider when you guys start to get overwhelmed with playing disciplinarian.

We have members on mod approved posting that haven't had a post approved in days, yet they still keep posting the same inane bullshit. The more mature someone is, the higher the quality of their contributions, it's that simple. People don't need to be experts or know a secret handshake (you learn that later), they just need to contribute something with each post.

I've been here for nearly three years and am just now learning that there is a secret handshake. I don't know whether to be hurt or (mildly) impressed.

I've been here for nearly three years and am just now learning that there is a secret handshake. I don't know whether to be hurt or (mildly) impressed.

It involves motor oil, jumper cables, a parachute and a ham sandwich.

I think it got a write-up in Highlights for Retards, right between the colouring section and the article on "Carton or Thermos: How do you prefer your chocolate milk?"

As I mentioned earlier, I don't get as upset about repeat topics, but I just saw something that is a pet peeve. Thread titles that are way too vague, such as "What do you guys think?" or "Question". It almost seems like a sales trick, where the titles are purposefully vague to get more people to click.

the site gets mentioned every once in a while on other hockey related forums.

I just noticed it today on the main page of the Mission website... pretty, pretty good.

Yep, that's something I got done :)

NBH will do the same, once they revamp their site.

well kudos to you guys.... I saw it and was like "Oh, right on!"

Like I said in a previous post... minor issues aside, this site is amazing. Hockey isn't the easiest sport to pick up in your late 20's... the wealth of knowledge this site has to offer is unreal. Walking into a hockey shop without said knowledge can be quite intimidating... so again, congrats.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't get as upset about repeat topics, but I just saw something that is a pet peeve. Thread titles that are way too vague, such as "What do you guys think?" or "Question". It almost seems like a sales trick, where the titles are purposefully vague to get more people to click.

Vague thread titles make it impossible to search for something. I can see someone doing that once without thinking.

What really bugs me: in one of the threads you've mentioned, several people asked the Original Poster to change his title. He hasn't - and he has been on line. I find that type of stubborn arrogance infuriating.

I normally skip over those threads unless I feel like being an ass. In my time here I think I've done that once with my post being "I cannot answer your question because I refuse to read it until you change the title of your topic to something useful." Oddly enough, earlier this week I nicely explained why a post-ers title wasn't useful and another new member tried calling me out on being an ass. :angry:

on this one, yes the title is useless, but i'm more frustrated with the use of "like" in every sentence and the lack of ability to spell correclty.

haha i didn't bother reading past the title of the topic. Maybe we should boycott topics with titles like that, I seem to do it already... to a degree.

I'm a new member and try to contibute or ask something intelligent whenever I search for answer, but posts like that last one also infuriate me because it makes following the rules and searching for an answer that much harder for legit new members. Last night I tried to find an answer to my arch pain in my new grafs and found who knows how many 'are grafs better than bauer' threads.

On another note I always thought I was a square because I didn't post in 'gangsta english' & all my essay writing at school carried over to forum posts haha. I used to think that I was the only one that proofread their posts and capitalized, and used proper words such as their instead of there. Nice to know that grammar is not a lost art. My 2cents from just another newb :P