Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sid

Is it just me

Black sticks look the best anyway. The vapor looks amazing imo, and its the most understated of any of the top of the line OPS.

I think it is just personal preferrence. A lot of different curves are used for different reasons. I have changed many times and said that I would never change again. But I like experimenting and seeing if something different helps me get the puck up quicker in tight or whether or not this type of pattern will help or inhibbit my stick handling ability.

Also I like the idea of taking the rule out of leagues with the illegal curve. The only reason a certain curves was made illegal was to stop pucks from shooting off into the crowd. Well we know that isn't really true because most of the time the puck is deflected having nothing to do with curves. Maybe we should keep the goalies from deflecting the puck over the glass when someone rips a slapshot low to the corner, and just have him watch it go in the net.

Anyway back to the point, I am with you guys, some if not all of these retail patterns suck my white ass, mainly because they aren't the right lie or there isn't enough rocker or the blade is too round, too square, Too much mid curve without any loft, etc.. etc...

Right now I would really love to use OPS all the time but there really isn't one that is right for me. I use to think the Modano was perfect, but the lie was wrong, and there wasn't enough loft for high shots in tight. Then I tried a Federov and the blade was to square and the only the toe of the blade hit the ice. Then I finally started using the Drury, hoping that it would be the perfect blend of shooting and stick handling, yet I was wrong again, because it wasn't very good for doing toe drags, something I have always worked at, but haven't perfected. Now I have a hybrid of a heel - toe - loft thing going on so I guess we will see.

Oh I almost forgot I bought a feather lite sherwood with a Crosby pattern and a 6 lie and shaved the toe off so there was some rocker to the blade so that I could take snap shots close to my left foot when I am skating down the wing. So definatley I feel you guys when blade selection and curve patterns these days seem to be outta control for some yet perfect for others.

Peace.

Then I finally started using the Drury, hoping that it would be the perfect blend of shooting and stick handling, yet I was wrong again, because it wasn't very good for doing toe drags, something I have always worked at, but haven't perfected.  Now I have a hybrid of a heel - toe - loft thing going on so I guess we will see. 

Ah, toe drags are done slightly differently with a Drury than a Shanahan style toe curve. I believe Alfredsson uses a Drury-esque curve and he can toe-drag/heel-push pretty damn well when I saw him on TV and during an open-house training camp. I think he changes his grip on the upper hand by rotating the handle 90 degrees when he does them. It's the only way I can get them to sort of work for me...

Are toe drag and curl'n drag are two different moves? :unsure:

Spraypaint is a wonderfull thing!

Indeed, I was rockin a yellow r2 blade in a red novius for about a week. Then i spray painted the blade red. I took crap for it, but I gots to look good :)

The only reason a certain curves was made illegal was to stop pucks from shooting off into the crowd.

That has nothing to do with curve regulations, how did you come up with that concept?

Funk:

I saw an Alfie XN at Perani's, it's very similar to a drury curve.

I seriously don't understand why there is an illegal curve rule. If the league is that concerned with the lack of scoring, then why put strict regulations on the sticks? Not saying that it would automatically increase scoring, but it wouldn't hurt.

I seriously don't understand why there is an illegal curve rule. If the league is that concerned with the lack of scoring, then why put strict regulations on the sticks? Not saying that it would automatically increase scoring, but it wouldn't hurt.

I'm with you in terms of the NHL rule, just not in youth hockey. The rule was put in place hwn Bobby Hull was ripping slappers past guys without helmets and goalies without masks. Now there shouldn't be a problem in the NHL.

Duckjob:

No kidding

I guess pros try different products during training camp because I've only seen Alfie use Synergys. It might also explain why there was a JJC (Hull) TFG.

I recall a slightly more squarish toe on Alfie's Synergys, rocker seemed to be a bit flatter near the toe, but photos are sometimes deceiving. Any idea what the flex was like, 90-ish maybe?

I guess pros try different products during training camp because I've only seen Alfie use Synergys. It might also explain why there was a JJC (Hull) TFG.

I recall a slightly more squarish toe on Alfie's Synergys, rocker seemed to be a bit flatter near the toe, but photos are sometimes deceiving. Any idea what the flex was like, 90-ish maybe?

It was listed as an R flex.

Every rep is trying to steal every player he can away from the other reps. That's the way the business works.

You're right, I wouldn't like that color. Call me a traditionalist, but I prefer looking down at black. I spray paint every blade that isn't black, unless its like a Synergy or a neutral color.

Same thing for me, I could not play with a blade with color. I spraypaint all my blades in black.

While we are on the topic of big curves, does anyone know if Kovachuck every got caught with a illegal curve?

Just Curious

Quite a few times. At least enough to have the team refuse any stick coming in with the same pattern.

Zayster: Its not the blade its the operator. If you can do it with a toe, but not with a heel, then the sticks doing the work. I use 1/2 inch open heels with round toes and a big rocker(Drury), and "toedragging" isn't something I have to think of doing, its second nature. Its just experience and practice. Keep workin on it.

Whip: There is a famous story about Kov. and his curve. Comrie noticed it in the young stars game, told the Oilers. Next game they called him on it, served his 2 minutes, and when he got out he got sprung on a breakaway and sniped. After, he skated past the Oil bench he asked if that one was ok. I love the cockiness.

Zayster: Its not the blade its the operator. If you can do it with a toe, but not with a heel, then the sticks doing the work. I use 1/2 inch open heels with round toes and a big rocker(Drury), and "toedragging" isn't something I have to think of doing, its second nature. Its just experience and practice. Keep workin on it.

Exactly, I have no problem doing them with my drury, or any other curve for that matter.

Whip: There is a famous story about Kov. and his curve. Comrie noticed it in the young stars game, told the Oilers. Next game they called him on it, served his 2 minutes, and when he got out he got sprung on a breakaway and sniped. After, he skated past the Oil bench he asked if that one was ok. I love the cockiness.

Hahah thats great, I remember hearing about that. Does anyone have a clip of it?

I'm not sure if this was related to that incident or not, but didn't Kovalchuk also fight Comrie at one point? I remember the clip of him fighting and scoring, I don't think they were the same game, but I think they were both in Atlanta so there is a chance.

You know, I think it's a bit odd sometimes that we as players blame our equipment for not being able to do something. I have been playing with retail Modano curves for about 3 years now, and back then I could not do toe-drags for some reason or another. I did blame my curve and tried asking some people that were good a doing toe-drags to see what curves they were using, and they varied from round toes with huge banana curves to guys using Modanos and Tkatchuk curves. I guess after trying hard enough I can do them perfectly, and it doesn't matter what curve I use, I can still do them. I can lift the puck up just as well using a Modano curve than with anything else, and my belief is that skill has more to do with getting the puck where you want it to go than what kind of curve you use. For some reason that is a strong belief of mine, and a lot of younger kids ask me what kind of curve I use because they see my slapshot getting off the ground and they can't seem to get theirs up, and appearently people tell them that their curve isn't right for slapshots and whatnot. I learned how to shoot slapshots when I was a kid with one of those red Jofa IW banana curves, and now I use a Modano which is almost flat in comparison. Sorry for the rant, anyone else agree?

completely, sometimes the mind is our strongest obstacle though, and a change of equipment will help you overcome something only to see it was never the equipment in the first place.

Good point. Maybe they need to start advertising sticks that claim 100 MPH shots everytime, that way my shot gets better... LOL

Hiub, I only learned how to take slapshots *after* I got an 85 flex Modano. :lol: I also used a Jofa IW when I first started several years ago. It was too stiff for me and I needed the bigger curve to compensate for the lack of flex, otherwise the puck was probably staying on the ice. I think if people weren't using a flex that's too stiff for them, they would find using a smaller curve isn't that bad, and possibly beneficial. I remember seeing this couple walk into a SportChek and the husband was talking about buying his wife (who was like 5'3" or so) a 95 flex Cyclone :huh: . I just find it sad when big, uninformed stores carry stuff they think will sell vs. fitting people with suitable gear, and I'm more knowledgable than the staff... <rambling... off!>

Out of all the differences in equipment, stick flex is the only thing that I truly agree can affect the way your shot is. I remember I was using 100 flex sticks when I was 12-13, ovbiously noone told me any better. Now I just recently switched from a whip flex R2 to an 87 flex XV to a 100 flex flyweight, and just now I am strong enough to use the full flex of the flyweight. LOL you see little boys with 100 flex cyclones and such and then you wonder how they don't get the puck up in the air! One of my old friends used to make his 10 yr old son that weighed about 65 lbs use his cut down broken aluminum shafts. The poor kid couldn't even get his whole hand around the fricking stick, and I tried telling him over and over again to have him change, even offering 2 old junior shafts that I had laying around that he could have used, but the cheap bastard refused to let his son play with anything else. I just don't understand sometimes...

Exactly, theres kids out there that weigh half of my 175 pound frame using stiffer sticks than me. Not to be hypocritical, but i had a 110 flex easton A/G when I was a squirt cut down about a foot with a wood blade in it. The thing was about 700 grams, but somehow i could still snipe upstairs with it. I didnt know any better :huh: