Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mack

Batman: The Dark Knight

Do you recall the "Death of Superman" storyline from the early 90's?

In it, Doomsday is like the Hulk, devastating everything in his march toward Metropolis, including what was essentially a Justice League Lite. Superman dies while stopping Doomsday, a few Superman-ish heroes pop up to take his place, then finally he somehow reemerges, sporting longer hair to appeal to a younger audience and a black uniform (I think).

Flash forward 10-12 years. Bruce Timm was producer on "Justice League" and "Justice League Unlimited" on Cartoon Network. For a cartoon, it was outstanding. We just finished watching the DVD's of the series this week and my daughters immediately asked if we could start over. What's interesting is in the article I linked, Timm said the target audience of the series was 6-11, while my wife and I thought the series had a lot of innuendo that only adults would understand.

Anyway, adding it all together, Bruce Timm is creating a direct-to-DVD animated feature called "Superman Doomsday", due late summer/early fall. In the article, he said they are targeting an older audience. He also said there won't be other DC heroes, which is different from the original comics.

Different topic, I'm sorry for not getting back to you yet on your PM. It's been busy this week, and the next two won't be much better. I can only waste so much time on the computer before The Big D gives me the evil eye. Still, I'll try to fit in a reply.

A frigging "Batpod"? This thing looks like something from Murderball:

batpod2lx6.th.jpg

batpod1bj6.th.jpg

Joker's car, apparently stolen from Archie:

clowncarspyji7.jpg

And the new suit, which looks kind of lame with the Tron-like designs on it but he can actually move his head around, which no other Batman was able to do so I'll deal with it:

batmannewsuitva4.th.jpg

The suit isn't the worst thing ever and whatever I don't like about it is evened out by the fact he can move his head now. The Batpod though? It looks to have cannons on the side and just...wrong. I hated the Tumbler from pics before I saw the movie so I can only hope the same thing happens here. Maybe when I see it in the movie it'll be cool.

Understood. But I kinda like that the pod is recumbent. In other words, how do they make a Batcycle look special? Flames on the gas tank wouldn't cut it, so I think they had to do something more radical.

I think they're trying to keep the same vibe that his "Rides" are prototypes of military items that Fox makes for Wayne Enterprises.

Yeah, I like that everything looks "raw" in the sense that he's getting a feel for it, but apparently the little blades on his gauntlets shoot off in this movie. That's just wrong on too many levels.

As long as the suit doesn't have nipples on it, I'm ok with it. That was a disgrace to batman

As far as Robin, I think its a bit too 'campy' for this series. The only way I want to see Robin is if he dies in the same movie that he's introduced in. That would probably make the death less meaningful though, since its not a long time of getting the audience to like Robin. Maybe build Robin up the whole movie, and the least scene is where he's killed.

On the other hand, it could be interesting if they just jump ahead and instead of starting at Robin, make a Nightwing as the 'sidekick'. He would fit in a lot better. There's also Azrael as a possibility down the line

Hey mack, thanks for the superherohype link, never been to that site. Browsed around it, and even better then the Dark Knight news (and not to go off topic), but I saw two things that dropped my jaw.

1) Watchmen is finally moving along at a great pace. This is one of the greatest works ever, so I'm a bit hesitant about what the movie might be like, but still, seeing this in the theatres will be an incredible experience

2) They're making a movie out of Wanted!!! I hadn't heard anything about it, but now this one I can't wait to see. I don't think, due to the graphic nature, it'll be able to show half the stuff from the comic, but if they do this thing'll be simply amazing. And Angelina Jolie as Fox?! I don't care that Fox is African American in the comic, this is perfect!

ok, fanboy mode off :P

Oh my god no, please no Azrael. In this series I'm pretty sure we're just getting Batman. This Batman's too young to have a Robin, which is their polite way of saying 'Robin sucks.'

As for the Watchmen movie I can't wait and I'm holding off reading into them too much because I want to keep that as spoiler free as I can. The casting rumours are what gets me for that movie, but I can't wait for it.

Oh yeah, I completely agree with you on both of those accounts, that having either would be horrible. Unfortunately though, with the premise that this movie has that Batman uses a lot of military stuff that Wayne produes, I have a feeling someone with a hi-tech suit like Azrael is likely to pop up. Not that I'm saying I want him there, just I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Once production starts, I won't be reading a single thing about it. Up until then though I can't get enough.

I'd be interested in Snyder directing a 'true to the Alan Moore original' Swamp Thing as well. That could be a hell of a film.

I wouldn't mind seeing Robin in like the 3rd or 4th Film in the Bale/Nolan series; only if it's true to the comics and he's a young kid and not a almost 30 year old Chris O'Donnell. Thankfully Shia Lebouf will be like 25 at the time when those movies come out and he won't be cast, he is getting parts in a lot of the movies I can't wait to see like Transformers and Indy 4. Just too bad I don't think he's a good actor at all.

Yeah I saw that online earlier today but didn't want to Spoil it for anyone. Cillian Murphy is a good actor and I thought that he was somewhat under used in Begins. I'm glad that he'll be back for D.K.

Oh we're full on with spoilers in this thread, so post away without hesitation. At least till the actual movie's out.

I agree about being a good actor but I don't know what that villain could add. I'm thinking he gets the Count Dooku treatment early on in the movie by Joker.

It could be something like Joker breaks a few guys out of Arkham to go after Batman... Joker never was much of a fan of face to face encounters with Batman if he had his choice. Doing that could also set up villians for the next movies, by having them do cameo's in this one.

So who would you like to see as the villian(s) in Batman 3?

If all the rumors and stuff are true, Harvey Dent will become Two Face either at the end of Dark Knight or in the begining of the 3rd movie, so you gotta count him as a bad guy for #3 and since the Nolan's seem to like the 2 bad guy set up, the next "big" batman bad guy would prob be the Penguin.

I'd like to see Two-Face and Bane. They wouldn't make him the abomination that the old series did. No Schumachery in this series is awesome.

I'd like to see Two-Face and Bane. They wouldn't make him the abomination that the old series did. No Schumachery in this series is awesome.

I would love to see bane to.. I think this director could do knightfall the justice it deserves.

Technically Harvey Dent is, the man who becomes Two-Face. Not sure when he becomes Two-Face, if he actually does in this movie though.