Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hidious

Gas prices

For low income folks, or those with the long commute, I'm sure it is making a real difference. It's just hard to measure what effect it might be having on these people, when the overall trend has only been an increase in consumption at the pumps. Once it reaches a certain point, more people will just switch to public transportation or even riding bikes if those means work for them.

For me, gas prices would have to be quite a bit higher to justify using public transportation, though I live in a small enough city where I can switch to riding a bike if that happens (extra exercise too).

But people don't have a choice - they have to drive.

Especially people who have a longer commute thanks to housing prices in some markets.

Exactly. I have a 60-mile commute back and forth to work. I am now moving out to Novi next month, and paying a little more in rent, but it will still offset the amount of gas I use to drive. But I'm transferring to our Brighton store which is 15 mi from my new apartment(all highway) instead of 7 mi if I worked at Novi.

For low income folks, or those with the long commute, I'm sure it is making a real difference. It's just hard to measure what effect it might be having on these people, when the overall trend has only been an increase in consumption at the pumps. Once it reaches a certain point, more people will just switch to public transportation or even riding bikes if those means work for them.

For me, gas prices would have to be quite a bit higher to justify using public transportation, though I live in a small enough city where I can switch to riding a bike if that happens (extra exercise too).

There is a real lack of public transportation in a lot of mid-size and smaller US cities. If you live in the suburbs it gets really hard to find any public transportation. I can drive 10 minutes and be downtown, but using a bus would take over an hour and require two transfers. It just isn't reasonable.

not only that but how long does that 60mi commute take everyday?? the time you'll get back has to be worth something too.

When I was managing my shop it was 35+ miles each way and around 45 minutes that I lost to start and end every day. There is no way I could afford to do that now.

Well of course...but once gas prices hit 4.50 or more, even just biking for a few months out of the year when you can would save some people a considerable amount of money. Though you do sacrifice time as well. Spending 2+ hours everyday just in commute to and from work is terrible. You don't get paid for that wasted time (usually), and on top of that you are being punished with the gas prices. Though you guys who run the businesses could at least probably get a tax deduction for the gas..

not only that but how long does that 60mi commute take everyday?? the time you'll get back has to be worth something too.

It would take me 45 minutes. 15 mi hwy/15 mi city.

A new politic as been adopted in the last canadian budget: you get a 1000$ rebate if you buy a small and low gas consuming vehicle and you pay up to 4000$ in additional taxes for big, high consuming vehicles. Not a bad idea.

its a good idea to give people 1000 bucks for buying small but just not far for charging up to 4000 dollars for big cars. what if your a farm or buisness owner that needs a big truck to haul stuff around and dont have an extra 4000 dollars lying around? i dont think its right

The system is probably more complex than +1000 small -4000 big, maybe people can apply for exemption if they prove that the large vehicle will be used for work, as opposed to someone who lives and drives alone with little cargo yet owns an enormous car.

ya but thered be to many problems with that system. theyd have to be able to prove that someone drives big cars for nothing. id say i buy lots of large goods and transport many freinds. wouldnt work out in my opinion

Yeah, proving what constitutes 'driving a big car for nothing' would be a handful, especially because people would come up with the greatest assortment of claims, from carpooling to large pets, etc...

The system is probably more complex than +1000 small -4000 big, maybe people can apply for exemption if they prove that the large vehicle will be used for work, as opposed to someone who lives and drives alone with little cargo yet owns an enormous car.

Sadly its not more complex. I know lots of people who were pissed off because they have big families and buying a suburban or a Tahoe was the best option.

I don't really see the point in that...people who purchase for fuel efficient cars will already be saving money on the fuel costs in the long term, and people who purchase the hummers and other gas chugging SUVs will be paying more.

Let's say you drive a car for 100,000 miles during its life, and gas averages $4 per gallon (assuming it will be increasing from here on out). If you drive a car that gets 25mpg, that's $16000 dollars worth of gas. If you go for the SUV that gets 13mpg, that's over $30,000 dollars worth of gas. The long term rewards of purchasing a smaller/more fuel efficient vehicle should already be enough for people to make the decision, if the price of gas really is something that bothers them. It's interesting to see how many people bitch about gas while driving around some 12mpg sports car or SUV/truck. Considering the amount of those vehicles on the roads these days, gas prices really haven't hit a high enough mark to affect most drivers.

Motorcycles are also a good alternative, and it seems that every summer now there are more and more of them around. Safety is a bit of a concern, but they will get around 3X the miles of the average car per gallon.

Motorcycles are also a good alternative, and it seems that every summer now there are more and more of them around. Safety is a bit of a concern, but they will get around 3X the miles of the average car per gallon.

I've been using that pitch with my fiance.. I'd ride my mtb bike to work a lot more but it's just to hot here in the summer.

Yeah, it should be the other way around - get a tax break for trading in your SUV and buying a fuel efficient car. Weren't they doing that here?

Ahh, yea I do remember hearing about that a while back. While the lower income people will save money with these more fuel efficient cars, it's not going to make any real difference for overall fuel consumption...not when many people are buying up hummers left and right because they "just feel safer", or because they have the money.

People in my neighborhood commonly have 2-4 SUVs per household; one for mom, one for dad, one for each of the kids who can drive. I could see buying one for the whole family, but when you've got this big tank to cart only you around all day, and each of your family members, that's a lot of gas going to waste. And surely they will be the ones complaining (yet still buying SUVs and premium gas) when prices hit 4 or 5 dollars a gallon.

I don't really see the point in that...people who purchase for fuel efficient cars will already be saving money on the fuel costs in the long term, and people who purchase the hummers and other gas chugging SUVs will be paying more.

Let's say you drive a car for 100,000 miles during its life, and gas averages $4 per gallon (assuming it will be increasing from here on out). If you drive a car that gets 25mpg, that's $16000 dollars worth of gas. If you go for the SUV that gets 13mpg, that's over $30,000 dollars worth of gas. The long term rewards of purchasing a smaller/more fuel efficient vehicle should already be enough for people to make the decision, if the price of gas really is something that bothers them. It's interesting to see how many people bitch about gas while driving around some 12mpg sports car or SUV/truck. Considering the amount of those vehicles on the roads these days, gas prices really haven't hit a high enough mark to affect most drivers.

actually the current craze in motorcycles is to bump up the cubic inches. Alot of the bikes on the road get the same milage as a five speed four cylinder. For instance my electra glide got the same milage as my saturn.

A 600cc yamaha will give you about 60mpg city. Even a 1200cc harley will still give you better mpg (30+) than a honda civic. Of course if your goal is to save money on fuel, you would buy the smaller bike. Even if you want some power though, you will be better off in most cases than a car when it comes to fuel efficiency. I've actually seen a lot more scooters around town also, if you really want to save money then that would be your best bet.

Well gas seems to be going down lately, and I figured I'd bump this. What's the lowest you've seen it for? For me, $3.39 USD is the lowest I've seen so far.