Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davezilla

White puck

I'm not an expert on goalies, but it may have to do with working on anticipating where the puck will go, since they can't see it...or something to that effect.

Heh, that's nothing. The Leafs' goalie coach is famous for using transparent polycarbonate pucks. They turn a little yellow after a while, probably from all the chain-smoking, but they are nasty bitches to face.

White pucks are a cheap substitute. :D

Heh, that's nothing. The Leafs' goalie coach is famous for using transparent polycarbonate pucks. They turn a little yellow after a while, probably from all the chain-smoking, but they are nasty bitches to face.

Steve invented both the white and clear pucks, as well as the mini pucks.

Isn't he also the guy that uses/invented acrylic deflection stands and plywood screen boards too?

I think the clear pucks would be easier to see than the white ones because of reflected light.

Steve invented both the white and clear pucks, as well as the mini pucks.

I love mini pucks! Never used white before though.

Whats the advantage of a mini puck? And what about acrylic deflection stands and plywood screen boards?

Ive seen a video from a Sharks practice videos where they had a piece of plastic/metal in front of the goal and a player had to shoot it and score the rebound or something like that.

Makes you clamp down on every single little hole you have open. Them things slide right thru you if you got the smallest crack, like between your arms, etc.

Whats the advantage of a mini puck? And what about acrylic deflection stands and plywood screen boards?

Deflection boards are like a ramp...the puck changes direction when it hits it.

The screen boards don't allow the goalie to see where the puck is coming off the stick. Just like a player screening the goalie.

At a goalie camp, the coach just spray painted the pucks white. It wasn't a very through job, and didn't seem that much harder.

At the same goalie camp, they used a different goalie screen. It was basically the same thing as a plywood one, only that the edges were metal bars and had a white sheet to fill the space. It was pretty good, but you know the shots are going to go low (unless the shooter flicks it gently above the screen), and some goalies got bored and stayed down. A plywood one is definitely better, because if the shooter accidentally shot at the sheet, it would rip right through.

i worked at a goalie camp last summer and they had it all, mini pucks, white pucks, clear pucks, and mini white pucks. the instructor had the really advanced goalies stand behind the screen board and had me shoot a mini white puck at them, nearly impossible for the goalie to stop.

basically the deflection shelf "thing" was an acrylic shelf. The legs(from overhead) look like this \---/ So it can deflect horizonally but is still stable. The shelfs are at different angles and I believe there are three or four, maybe more of them. The device is 100% clear, it makes if very hard to read what angle it might deflect at, and the puck is just shot at this shelf and the goalie has to stop it.

The screen board have been made different ways, one is done with a sheet and it just hangs and you can either shoot under it or through it. The one I talked about is about the size of a rolling chalkboard. It's put in the low slot and there's about a 3' gap underneith. The shooter stands behind this and fires shots, the goalie can hear where the puck is but can't see it. Teaches you to rely on your ears and your reflexes when you can't see the puck.

They'll also put the two devices together to make it even more difficult or they'll put deflection boards on the sides of the net inbetween the screen board and the net that basically are flat and make sure the puck deflects on net.

I worked for Mitch Korn for 3 or 4 summers doing his camps. Lemme tell you, his deflection ramp, or "the fun box" as i call it, is a pretty amazing tool. The base has deflection boards for on ice deflections, and a plywood top, to act as a screen board, and then there is a clear ramp for vertical deflections as well plywood on the sides and top for more deflection options... not to mention you can just shoot right through the middle at will. As a shooter, it's about as much fun as you can have with a young hot shot camper who things he's all that... as a goalie, i'd imagine it's not quite as much fun... Mitch also uses mini-pucks, white pucks and tennis balls as training aids, as well as a "screen bag" that he puts over a goalies mask to hinder his vision slightly which helps to improve focus. Haven't seen clear pucks but it seems like the next logical step. If anyone does have a pic i'd like to check it out...

I heard McKichan is a riot.

Mitch Korn also uses those deflection stands and plywood boards.

He is ("The Corvette" is an especially good story), but he's too damned modest. I asked him about the invisipucks, and he never mentioned once that he'd invented the damn things. He even tried to suggest it was Korn's idea. The funny thing is, Keeks is actually in training to suit up for the first time in god knows how long to serve as the Leafs' occasional practise goalie. Kubina was always bugging him to do it, and now he finally gets to put all those free gear offers to use.

The screenboards are annoying, but I absolutely hate the carwash-wiper board - not only can you not see anything useful, what you can see is incredibly misleading. It's like trying to read a shot through a bloody octopus.

As for the white pucks, somebody on another board had a case of 100 they were selling in smaller lots (5 and up) a while back... can't recall all the details, but I'll see if I can dig it up. The clear pucks, however, are extremely rare - probably only available at the Strathroy Concentration Camp. :D

I've never been lucky enough to get up to the Strathroy camps, but my buddies have said it's an absolute riot. One of these years, we're going to have to put a bus together if we can get everybody back in the country at the same time.