Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shifter

kids seen today with their equipment

Actually good equipment can make a better player. The proof is on your feet, your skates. Remember the first time you moved up from low-end or mid-price point skates to top of the line pro model skates? Did you feel a difference in your skating? Did the pro model skates make you a better skater?

There will always be gear envy. I had it when I was a teen-ager so I know what its about. Once I could afford my own gear, I bought the best I could afford and appreciated the quality of the best gear. Whether its hockey gear or clothes or whatever, there will always be people flaunting their good fortune. Don't envy them, make them envy you.

Most of these comments just show how elitist and snobbish this sport can be.

Kids don't need high-end gear.

My brother-in-law and his 3 brothers all played hockey with hand-me-down gear and they were some of the better players. Skill has nothing to do with the gear you wear.

You can find cheap gear that fits and functions just as well as stuff that is top of the line. It may give someone an edge that is at the top of their game, but for Joe average 10 year old it's a waste of money.

Instead of buying your kid $500 skates why don't you buy two pair of $250 skates and give one to the local hockey swap so a kid who's parents can't buy him nice gear can get some cheap skates.

I saw some kid a few months ago in the rink with pretty much anything RBK, but his Easton Synergy.

I hate seeing spoiled kids like that. My equipment was never great growing up. Well, my Gretzky style Jofa was cool at the time.

I look at it this way:

It depends which piece of equipment you are talking about.

For me, my kid will have the best helmet with the best fit. This is a safety issue to me, and even in tyke select, non-contact hockey I have seen my kid clash head to head, get cross-checked from behind into the boards and so on.

Skates, even good ones are really a relatively small part of the cost of a kid playing rep hockey, so they may as well have good ones.

Sticks, this is where I think it is gotten out of hand. My kid will not be playing with $300 stick until he can buy it for himself.

The rest of the equipment to me is all about the fit, and it isn't always the best equipment that fits your kid the best. In the end, to each his own.

Talent on the ice helps you stand out a lot more than flash/expensive gear...not that it matters to me what gear people have, it just comes down to what they can afford, and what they like to use. I've got top-end gear for what, imo, matters most: helmet, skates, gloves, protective...sticks I could care less about.

Anyway, most of the best players I know skate in 5 year old, banged-up old gear. Probably because they are good players anyway, and they don't think they need to improve anything by purchasing new equipment.

Actually good equipment can make a better player. The proof is on your feet, your skates. Remember the first time you moved up from low-end or mid-price point skates to top of the line pro model skates? Did you feel a difference in your skating? Did the pro model skates make you a better skater?

If this is true,

Can you then explain to me how Mike Gartner managed to put the all-time fastest lap around a NHL rink in 1993? (13,3) That was 14 years ago, and so far no one has been close to beat that time.

Im not a better skater now, than when i was rocking Graf 603's 7 years ago..

Instead of spending all $$ on flashy equipment, the parents should put the money on skating instructors or skating classes

I can remember the difference going from CCM Mustangs Bobby Hull Pro OK'ed to CCM Super Tacks in 1971. Those Super Tacks made a difference in how well I could skate. That is what I mean as to how better skates will make you skate better. I had a foundation of skating skills then to work with. I just needed better skates to get the benefits.

The smart parents in this building are putting time and money into individual skating lessons or bringing their player to power skating sessions.

As for Mike Gartner, he was a thoroughbred.

Kids having top gear doesn't bothger me in the slightest, the only time it's ever botherd me is when you see kids smacking a brand new top of the line OPS over a goal post after they've conceeded a goal or something.

Kids having top gear doesn't bothger me in the slightest, the only time it's ever botherd me is when you see kids smacking a brand new top of the line OPS over a goal post after they've conceeded a goal or something.

Most kids do NOT need VaporXXXs to learn how to skate. Hockey shops dont mind though, since people will buy the premium equipment, but a lot of mid level skates feel just as comfortable as a top of the line skate or more so. I know the discounted Mission L7s feel better on my feet than a VaporXXX or Easton. That is just my opinion anyways..I'm not much for stiff skates even though I recently got a pair of Bauer 8090s for shits and giggles. I skated in Graf 707s for 6-7 years. With 2 kids being born in the last 3 years I cannot justify spending $500 on a skate.

A suggestion I think would help is if the people of hockey shops suggest that to parents/kids they dont need the best stick/skate. This might also lead to losing money telling them not to buy it =/

The only thing new I got my kid was helmet and a pair of CCM 52's, becasue they did not have any used in her size. If she did not have a good time, I was not out much dough. Now tat she likes it and is progressing, I get her some new stuff here and there. No One90's yet though..... on the subject of the shop pushing expensive equipment, if a guy is honest and doesn't try and sell me somehting I or my kid don't need, I will come back and buy from him again.

Unless they're forcing you to spend money to keep up, let people do what they like. If you're that much better or your kid is that much better with a lower level of equipment, be content that they're doing well with what they have. Who knows, maybe they've got some insane hookups and paid less for their high-end stuff than you paid for your stuff. Quit hating and let people be.

ive never really had high end equipment, except for my bauer 8000 pants, and it doesnt bother me too much, its not that i cant afford it, its just because i know that i dont need most of it. as i progress ill start buying more and more higher end equipment. it also doesnt bother me when i see other kids with high end equipment, unless they REALLY dont need it or they abuse it.if the parents choose to waste there money to have their kids intentionally destroy their equipment, its just stupid

There will always be gear envy. I had it when I was a teen-ager so I know what its about. Once I could afford my own gear, I bought the best I could afford and appreciated the quality of the best gear. Whether its hockey gear or clothes or whatever, there will always be people flaunting their good fortune. Don't envy them, make them envy you.

You see, we don't just move up skates like that, though. I only upgrade my skates when I feel that the lower-end pair isn't stiff enough to support my style. There is a difference here. When we talk about kids with their rediculous gear, we are talking about kids who can't utilize the power of the One90 or the agility of the XXX. These skates can make a better player better, but cannot make a bad player good. This was what I was saying, sorry if I got you confused.

If this is true,

Can you then explain to me how Mike Gartner managed to put the all-time fastest lap around a NHL rink in 1993? (13,3) That was 14 years ago, and so far no one has been close to beat that time.

Im not a better skater now, than when i was rocking Graf 603's 7 years ago..

Instead of spending all $$ on flashy equipment, the parents should put the money on skating instructors or skating classes

GREAT point. Especially the last sentence.

I think I have seen it mentioned before but when I was growing up getting "top of the line" equipment was motivation to get good grades. (I had to get 3 A's for those Ignite 1's. :D ) Just a parenting technique only hockey families would understand I guess.

Here's what I see on kids around the rinks:

-Bags that are WAY too big. 9-year-old kids don't need 38" bags! Most kids could be put in their bags with their gear and never be cramped for space. Not only that, they can't control them when carrying (or wheeling) them around the rink, they bash into everyone and everything.

-Sticks that are too long and too stiff with curves that are too big. The wrong stick can hurt your game more than the right one can help it. Johnny Squirthouse doesn't need a $150 stick, nor does he need a $99 OPS. Wood, or shaft and wood blade--something he can feel the puck with and load when shooting. And a nice, gentle mid-curve will let the kid control the puck, passes and shots, including a backhand.

-Skates that are too stiff. Again, the latest and greatest looks nice and makes a little guy the envy of the locker room for a couple weeks, but make sure you can get proper ankle flex. A boot with some give that wraps around the kid's foot when tied tightly will give as much support as a superstiff skate. Also, tie the skates tightly but don't wrap the laces around the ankle! It breaks down the boot.

Here's what bugs me the most though... protective equipment that is too big or too small! Shin pads should approach the ankle, pants should cover the kidneys and approach the top of the kneecap, shoulder pads should have the shoulders underneath the shoulder caps and they should be snug around the chest. I see way too many kids with shin pads that are 3" too small and shoulder pads that are 3 sizes too big. Neither of these pieces of equipment will properly protect!!

Hell, I'm not very good...But I buy the top of the line stuff because I can somewhat afford it, and if I buy the best stuff there is no way I can be held back by inferior equipment.

do kids like tykes and novice need the best of the best when they cant shoot a puck 99km/h?

Do you need the best equipment since you're not in the NHL?

Today I was in Perani's and I saw this guy buying his two kids, who were like 5 & 7, Vapor XXXX skates. Crazy...

I'VE SAID IT BEFORE, I'LL SAY IT AGAIN.

I buy the equipment that my 6 year old is most confident in.

It's not the LHS that is responsible for sacrificing thier profits, it's the parent's sole responsibility to ensure that thier children understand that marketing is a tool for manufacturers to build product awareness.

Personally, I skate in Graf 502s, they're extremely soft!

Nike couldn't pay me to wear One90s, in fact, they can't get most pros to wear the damn things... hence the One90S pro stock.

Can just anyone get a pair of those dressed up Bauers? NO!

I think this entire thread comes down to... drum roll please...

We're sick and tired of seeing people of all ages and skill levels buying the "best" equipment because the commercial told them to.

'Nuff said?

Today I was in Perani's and I saw this guy buying his two kids, who were like 5 & 7, Vapor XXXX skates. Crazy...

I understand your point; however, as a guy who just bought his 7 year old a pair of XXXXs last night let me try and defend the choice.

First of all, these are youth skates dressed up to look like the big boys skates. They cost half of what the junior skates cost, and less than 30% of what the senior models cost. So these kids are not running around in $700 CDN or even $400 CDN skates.

Where I bought my son's skates, they took a trade-in on his old skates, giving us a $40 credit. So these cost us net $160 CDN plus tax. Even moderate quality youth skates cost $100. So it is not that big of a difference.

Another key point, there are only a few well built youth sized skates manufactured. There is a much bigger difference between a top quality youth skate and a lower quality youth skate than there is in the junior sizes and in the senior sizes.

Finally, although he is only seven, he is on the ice 5 days per week. The cheap skates fall apart very quickly with this type of usage. Also, he can skate, I am not talking about wobbling around the rink, I mean he can do cross overs at full speed with and with out the puck, he can pivot front-to-back and back-to-front at full speed, he can do backwards cross-overs smoothly and efficiently...well you get the idea, he skates better than half of the guys on my men's beer league team.

Also, even though he is seven, hockey is an expensive sport. His house league will cost $350, his select team fees will be about $1,400 and his powerskating lessons and a christmas camp and march break camp will run about $2,000...so I am in for around $3,750...so whether I spend $100 or $160 on skates really doesn't make much of a difference.

I have no doubt his improvement to date and in the future is much more dependant upon how much he practices and on his skating lessons than it does upon which skates he has on. That being said, I do believe that one can make better progress on better equipment.

let the parents pay for it... as long as the kids dont go all showoff-ey, then I couldnt care less. Its those that start to brag and give the other kids a hard time that pisses me off.

I grew up using some big ass knee pads that were normally used for vert. I loved the fit, and used some old rollerblade shin pads and cut off the knee pads. Looked pretty wierd, but were comfortable as hell. The only thing my parents ever paid for me (hockey related) was to go halves on a pair of skates. After that, it was all about working during the school holidays to earn some cash to buy new stuff.

Unless they're forcing you to spend money to keep up, let people do what they like. If you're that much better or your kid is that much better with a lower level of equipment, be content that they're doing well with what they have...... Quit hating and let people be.

DarkStar hits the mark here regarding gear envy - although maybe not as extremely as I'd prefer.

Kids, teens, college kids (or anyone else for that matter) should, if the budget allows or the person footing the bill OK's the purchase(s), buy whatever they want no matter how expensive the item is, so long as the gear, stick, etc. does not inhibit their game

It shouldn't matter to anyone if it doesn't improve anything in their game - it's only a questionable purchase if it hinders some aspect of their game. (This seems counterproductive - but If the kid knows this, and is willing to sacrifice the performance, then that shouldn't bother anyone either). Actually, liking the way a piece of gear or stick looks should be good enough reason for that person to buy it. If a person can waste money on what some might consider wasteful purchases - more power to them. Who cares what they buy (well unless they stole the money from you!).

Unfortunately, I can participate in the waste funds and waste gear game, but it sounds like fun.

Also, gear doesn't have to be worn out to be put out to pasture -- that's where either extra closet space or Ebay can be of assistance.

The smart parents in this building are putting time and money into individual skating lessons or bringing their player to power skating sessions.

Also, it's more freewheel when a parent or individual can constantly blow money on gear AND get coaching/lessons for X. Also, part of the fun part of life is that no matter what an individual might do or might acquire, it's possible that no one will envy them.

no need for the parents to be buyin such expensive gear for there kids unless they got it really cheap somewhere, why dont they buy something for themselves, and its not like there playin real intense hockey its 3 on 3