Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flashgordon

Interesting NHL Equipment Stats

joe thornton, I'd imagine. Not sure if there is anyone else.

I stand corrected on one count- good call TBLfan.

Thornton has worn Vectors the last couple of seasons

Yes and he wore the Pro Tacks last season. He's still using CCM. The only one I've seen with Nike skates is John Madden I believe on the New Jersey Devils. I'm not surprised at Nike/Bauer dominating the league but only they are so prevelant over THC skates. CCM owned the league in the sixties to almost the eighties.

The only skate I will wear is Bauer, I must admit I have never tried out graf skates, but why switch from whats works.

RBK's / CCM's both kill the top of my feet same with missions, same with Eastons.

Bauers are the only skate I can wear as they have both the proper Height and Width.

The other thing I find funny is Bauers Mid range skates actually fit me better and feel better than the higher end one ( still have to try XXX's though ) .

I also can only use Bauer Gloves/Helmets, again only brand that fits me correctly.

The 8k is nice, really nice, but sits on my head weird. the Bauer 8500 is the only helmet I have found to fit me right.

Same with their Vapour line of gloves, only gloves that wear just right for me.

The only skate I will wear is Bauer, I must admit I have never tried out graf skates, but why switch from whats works.

RBK's / CCM's both kill the top of my feet same with missions, same with Eastons.

Bauers are the only skate I can wear as they have both the proper Height and Width.

The other thing I find funny is Bauers Mid range skates actually fit me better and feel better than the higher end one ( still have to try XXX's though ) .

I also can only use Bauer Gloves/Helmets, again only brand that fits me correctly.

The 8k is nice, really nice, but sits on my head weird. the Bauer 8500 is the only helmet I have found to fit me right.

Same with their Vapour line of gloves, only gloves that wear just right for me.

What was the topic again? Oh yeah, NHL Equipment Stats, ehh....shall we add you to the stats?

What was the topic again? Oh yeah, NHL Equipment Stats, ehh....shall we add you to the stats?

Seemed rather on-topic to me.

N/B seemed to command a leading % of use from the top 50 scorers and the whole debate that was going on was on the quality of N/B hockey equipment and I in in essence simply said Bauer is the only brand of equipment thats works for me and that I have found them to have the higher quality/performance equipment.

This is a forum talking about hockey equipment and how it related to us the average player. So excuse me for engaging in said discussion your majesty.

Whose kidding who, NBH has two lines, just because they changed their name doesn't mean squat. CCM and RBK are the same company, jeeze is that so hard to understand. For stat purposes, they should not be seperated, that's all I'm saying.

Also, I don't think I ever mentioned one brand being better than another, I was just approaching the discussion from a statistics perspective. You can't cherry pic what and how brands are represented in so-called stats. At least try to be accurate.

Same company, different divisions. That seems to me like adding Cadillac's sales to Chevrolet's for sales figures.

I'll buy that but then the Supreme Line should be seperated from the Vapor line, totally different skates aren't they. Once you combine the full RBK totals which is a RBK line and a Vector line, the stats are totally changed.

Are you kidding me? The only one who that applies to is RBK - who has TWO subbrands. NBH used to, and now they have one brand.

Still going by the car argument, that's like separating Corvettes and Aveos.

That doesn't make any sense and you know it. And even if you go by your "argument," Vapor's still smoking your precious RBK as a brand. :rolleyes:

So what's the big deal if you do combine RBK/CCM, it really doesn't matter. Nike/Bauer skates still dominate the league and that's a fact. It just the fact that a lot more players prefer the fit and feel of Nike/Bauer and the way they perform.I have nothing against either brand, I've used them both and they both seem like decent skates. I just hope the competition stays strong because it means better skates in the future to look forward to.

I just hope the competition stays strong because it means better skates in the future to look forward to.

Probably the most important thing to take note of in this thread.

Ok, here are the stats for sticks / gloves / pants / helmets. Again, top 50 06-07 regular season scorers, based on Getty images from pics of most recent NHL play:

Sticks:

Easton / 19 / 38%

Rbk / 8 / 16%

Warrior / 8 / 16%

Nike Bauer / 7 / 14%

CCM / 4 / 8%

Sher-Wood / 3 / 6%

TPS / 1 / 2%

Total / 50 / 100%

Gloves:

Easton / 14 / 28%

Nike Bauer / 11 / 22%

Rbk / 10 / 20%

CCM / 4 / 8%

Mission / 4 / 8%

Warrior / 2 / 4%

TPS / 2 / 4%

Sher-Wood / 1 / 2%

MIA / 1 / 2%

Eagle / 1 / 2%

Total / 50 / 100%

Pants:

Easton / 12 / 24%

Rbk / 9 / 18%

CCM / 9 / 18%

Nike Bauer / 8 / 16%

NA / 7 / 14%

Tackla / 3 / 6%

Jofa / 2 / 4%

Total / 50 / 100%

Helmets:

Nike Bauer / 21 / 42%

Rbk / 11 / 22%

CCM / 11 / 22%

Mission / 5 / 10%

Jofa / 1 / 2%

NA / 1 / 2%

Total / 50 / 100%

No surprise that Easton is the leader in sticks.

I would have thought that RBK would be higher in helmets.

Yet again, you see the 4500 often in the NHL, and there's a few 5500 and 8500 supporters.

working in retail i am shocked at the pant count. easton is such a bad fitting pant, most people are loving the vapor line in pants, and even the graf 700 series sells very well at my store.

From what i have seen, easton makes some damn good pro pants and pro gloves..

chelios still wears 652s..

sticks still puzzles me a little, just because all the manufactuers know how to make each others stick anyway.. just gotta paint over it.

Totally agree SRI the other manufacturers can only know what makes up the stick not how they use the materials etc. im pretty sure easton has patents on some of the materials it uses in their sticks.

With respect to people getting a bite of Eastons Pie. Another fact i think is forgotten with warrior is that they are essentially Innovative which had a major following with russian and eastern european players who more than likely simply made the switch. I was suprised when i saw RBK ahead of NBH because i always thought the XXXlite was a major player.

Looking to next season i reckon no change on top but i think RBK may increase their stake a lil with the hype of the 9K O-Tech. Howevere i still think Warrior and NBH will be close.

Only reason that CCM/RbK has high numbers is because of the AHL contract. When players are called up, most equipment managers have the player stay in the CCM/RbK product. Once the GM/coaching staff decide to keep the player up, then they will let the player have free reign over what he wants to use. 95+% of the time, they switch away from CCM/RbK.

SRI, very interesting post. I dig your input in this thread.

What (if any) is some of the feedback you hear from players regarding CCM/RBK sticks? Are they just not into them? Whenever I see an RBK stick, I always think 'house brand' if that makes any sense.

In my opinion, CCM makes one of the best blades, but it's a particular blade that I like, not the CCM blade design per se. It's what I call the "thick blade," the feel is wonderful and the dampening is unmatched BUT it's a little heavy. The catapult's blade looks similar to this blade but it isn't as thick.

Besides that I'm going to assume that pro players have the same gripe as we do about RBK blades, that they just suck.

Just for the hell of it, I wanted to see how the market share amongst the top 50 scorers has shifted over 3 years. Here's the results:

Skates:

Bauer - 32/64.00%

CCM - 6/12.00%

Easton - 5/10.00%

Reebok - 4/8.00%

Graf - 2/4.00%

MLX - 1/2.00%

Sticks:

Easton - 19/38.00%

Bauer - 14/28.00%

Warrior - 6/12.00%

CCM - 4/8.00%

Reebok - 3/6.00%

Sherwood - 3/6.00%

Combat - 1/2.00%

Gloves

Bauer - 19/38.00%

Easton - 13/26.00%

Warrior - 7/14.00%

Reebok - 5/10.00%

CCM - 3/6.00%

Sherwood - 2/4.00%

Winwell - 1/2.00%

Helmets

Bauer - 26/52.00%

CCM - 10/20.00%

Easton - 8/16.00%

Reebok - 5/10.00%

Jofa - 1/2.00%

Most interesting thing for me is the stick numbers, and the shift over to Bauer. Also of note, Bauer surpassed Easton for glove numbers. Anyone know how this parallels the overall league numbers?

(This is just an estimate- based on observation, not hard numbers), but Bauer dominates skates; Easton has a slight edge over Bauer in sticks (Warrior has fallen back); Easton, Bauer and Warrior should be fairly even in terms of gloves; Bauer is winning at helmets, although it should be pretty close if you combine CCM and Reebok users; and, of course, Reebok/Jofa is dominating protective even with the new shoulder pad cap rules.