Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_next_one

Face injuries

JR97: Guys wearing cages take less caution towards their surroundings.

Around here, if you play at a high level, it's always the biggest dicks with the highest sticks and highest elbows that wear a cage.

I don't remember if I ever posted on this thread, but that's the biggest bunch of bull shit I have heard in a while.

I wear a cage because I have grown fond of all of my teeth and both eyes. Since I am never going to play in the NHL (and I will venture a guess 99.99999% of will either), the small amount better I might be without it is not worth the risk. Like drinking alcohol, if you are a asshole hack with a cage, you will be without one too.

geez.. you mananged to prove him right and he didnt even have to see you play..

and quite frankly if you people are affraid of getting hurt playing a contact sport that involes a hard rubber projectile.. go find a soccer field

Around here, if you play at a high level, it's always the biggest dicks with the highest sticks and highest elbows that wear a cage.

I don't remember if I ever posted on this thread, but that's the biggest bunch of bull shit I have heard in a while.

I wear a cage because I have grown fond of all of my teeth and both eyes. Since I am never going to play in the NHL (and I will venture a guess 99.99999% of will either), the small amount better I might be without it is not worth the risk. Like drinking alcohol, if you are a asshole hack with a cage, you will be without one too.

geez.. you mananged to prove him right and he didnt even have to see you play..

and quite frankly if you people are affraid of getting hurt playing a contact sport that involes a hard rubber projectile.. go find a soccer field

How old are you Supa?

anyone have any success with those combo type visors?

From about 11-16 this was all I wore, they're not that bad, I ended up liking a cage so much more. I just always wanted what seemed the coolest so I went with the combo.

They allow air flow better than a full shield but not as good as a cage.

WickedWrister,

I think there is some truth to what 97 & Patrick said. I've played in some HS Alumni games and the guys I play with said I better wear a cage, I did. Everyone did. I caught a high stick right in the face. Usually I wear a half shield or nothing at all. That accident would've f'd me up. The guy who did it said afterward that he was sorry and that he "gets lazy out there" when everyone has a cage on. He wasn't a dick, in no way was dirty, he just got lazy. That's my personal problem with cages. This is dating myself here, but here goes... When I learned to play hockey I only wore a helmet and plastic chinstrap like mouthguard. No eye protection at all. The coaches pounded into us the importance of keeping two hands on the stick and our sticks on the ice. Nobody I grew up playing with ever got a stick up high. As I grew up the fundamentals of keeping my stick down and my head up stayed with me. I see more kids highsticking now more than ever. They're not cheap shots, they just don't know any better. As they grow up, the thought about catching someone up high doesn't concern them. Then when they get to the point of playing at a high level, or just beer league, high stick stuff happens and all of a sudden it's a big deal. I think to some degree cages take away focus. I'm not saying it takes away yours, but in general. Here's a question, if the league you play in made everyone wear only a helmet, do you think players would focus more on keeping their sticks(and shots) down? There will always be flukey plays, it's hockey, but in general I think it would work.

anyone have any success with those combo type visors?

I'm a fan of the Itech 920, but I've switched to the FX-50 as of late and couldn't be happier.

I can identify with the fact that kids don't control their sticks. I'm constantly ramming home the fact that they need to keep their sticks down. Probably a small percentage has to do with how sticks are lighter too. I've never played with a visor, so I can't properly throw in my 2 cents, but having been on the receiving end of some sticks and pucks to the face, and not having health insurance keeps the screws on my cage fastened tight.

So I'm continuing my streak of about 5 straight games getting cut in the face. I don't mind getting cut, but they turn into canker sores and I can't stand those. Today tho, the guy cross checked me right in the teeth, I was wearing someone elses mouthguard cause I didn't have one so I have a loose tooth and can't eat. Moral of the story is where your mouthguard, but still, almost no respect for another player.

took a puck and knocked out a tooth... $1600 dollars later.. It is normal again.. lol.

It was not to painful but apprantly it should have been because the dentist told me my nerve was hanging out.

terrible weekend, inline hockey championship in Brazil. Damage:

Two broken noses (one due to elbowing and the other some stupid guy running into someone's shoulder).

4 Broken teeth (two of which were mine)

2 eyebrows cuts

When you play without a facemask you're always gambling...

Here is an article that the Star Tribune in Minneapolis did on visors.

Good article. I just learned this from reading it:

Mission-Itech, owned by Wild owner Bob Naegele, is renowned for visors. Sixty-four percent of NHL players who wear visors get their protection from Mission-Itech. The company uses an anti-fogging coating.

So I'm continuing my streak of about 5 straight games getting cut in the face. I don't mind getting cut, but they turn into canker sores and I can't stand those. Today tho, the guy cross checked me right in the teeth, I was wearing someone elses mouthguard cause I didn't have one so I have a loose tooth and can't eat. Moral of the story is where your mouthguard, but still, almost no respect for another player.

I hope your buddy dosen't want his mouthguard back....

this might not count..

but i got hit in the back of the neck the other night during stick and puck. dunno why, but i was bent down getting pucks out of the net, when this idiot rips a slapper and takes a chunk outta my helmet. ouch.

this might not count..

but i got hit in the back of the neck the other night during stick and puck. dunno why, but i was bent down getting pucks out of the net, when this idiot rips a slapper and takes a chunk outta my helmet. ouch.

I'd like to break the legs of people who shoot at the net when someone is fishing out pucks. Happened to me a couple months ago, big slapshot off the clavicle, very lucky nothing was broken b/c I had no pads on at the time.

I got a full Itech shield this year after watching my buddy loose his front teeth..... I hate the thing... But have taken 2 sticks and a puck off the thing.... I play harder withit.

But I am thinking of changing to a cage.

i wear a full face visor, playing in a chippy/hack league wear alot of people dont know what there doing there seems to be alot of face injuries

Back in november 2006, I took a shaft to the mouth while wearing a visor. Fast forward to 2008, I need to get 2 dental implants and a lot of aggravation.

Cost of cage=$50.00

Cost of dental work $ 4000.

Should have kept the cage on. Hindsight is 20/20

Back in november 2006, I took a shaft to the mouth while wearing a visor. Fast forward to 2008, I need to get 2 dental implants and a lot of aggravation.

Cost of cage=$50.00

Cost of dental work $ 4000.

Should have kept the cage on. Hindsight is 20/20

Ouch...were you wearing a mouthguard as well?