Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_next_one

Face injuries

I borrowed a helmet with a small visor for one warm-up prior to a game. I ate a guy's helmet as he cut in front of me.

Busted my lip and broke my nose....now I stay with my cage no matter what.

took cross check to the mouth, fortunately I Just split my lip open, kept all my teeth!

my buddy went down to block a shot, and took a slapper right in the face from about 5 ft away.. puck missed the visor and hit him square in the jaw.. he broke many teeth and his jaw fractured. wired jaw, 2 months away from hockey and a $12K doctor bill was the end result.. he still wears a visor.

took cross check to the mouth, fortunately I Just split my lip open, kept all my teeth!

my buddy went down to block a shot, and took a slapper right in the face from about 5 ft away.. puck missed the visor and hit him square in the jaw.. he broke many teeth and his jaw fractured. wired jaw, 2 months away from hockey and a $12K doctor bill was the end result.. he still wears a visor.

That right there is why I only wear a visor in pick up games and open hockeys because I don't lay down to block many shots just passes. In real games or if the pick up game is getting a little rough I wear my other helmet with a cage.

I've not had anything too bad at all yet, took a shot to the mouth which made a few teeth loose and cut the inside of my lip and made my gums bleed a bit. Shame it was the only shift since i switched to a visor that i left my mouthguard on the bench...i never forget to put it back in now!

Was playing in a checking league and had a guy's helmet come up from below and into my face that knocked in my top four front teeth--even though had a mouthguard in. One visit to the emergency room; one round of oral surgery; probably half a dozen visits to the dentist for root canals and such; and several thousand of dollars later, I will never wear a visor again. Insurance covered only the ER visit--everything else was called "voluntary" or "cosmetic" even though I could not shut my mouth because my teeth were so out of alignment. I also ate nothing other than soup (or bread soaked in soup) for two weeks. Yuck!

I don't like the loss of peripheral vision when the puck is in my feet, but I'm back to the cage. I'm not getting paid to play this game, so why take the risk? I wore the visor for about 4 years without incident, and then bam! I'm sure that's how it happens with most guys. Think hard before you go for that visor.

As a side note, I can't comprehend how NHL'ers go without visors. Is ANY amount of money really worth the loss of an eye? And it's not like somebody will suddenly not be good enough to make an NHL roster if they add a visor.

I've never had anything major. . . One time I had to get stitches on my chin (i suspect i somehow got cut by a skate blade, but don't remember it ever happening) At the end fo the game I took my helmet/cage off and everyone pointed out teh blood gushing from my chin

My cousin took a two hander straight to his mouth last year. . . lost 3 front teeth.

I lost four teeth 2 years ago, but that was from being a stupid drunk, I wish I could say it was from hockey. .

Do you actually read the posts here, or just add 2 cents whenever?

This thread relates to VISORS...

you mention your "helmet/cage"

Better luck next time.

Damn bra take it easy. Is it that time of the month again?

I was just pointing out that even with the cage on I still got my face jacked up. Didn't realize that I must wear a visor in order to post on this topic.

anyways, I've fortunately never had an injury to my face while wearing my visor.

dude around here lost an eye while wearing a visor. lot of those combos are now around the leagues.

something about a stick got lifted when they both went ot the puck... sticks smacked and one rode up or something. clipped him under the eye. some doctors were on the ice and controlled it until EMS came, they thought all he needed was some stitches... nope, took his eye when he went to the hosptial.

I've not had anything too bad at all yet, took a shot to the mouth which made a few teeth loose and cut the inside of my lip and made my gums bleed a bit. Shame it was the only shift since i switched to a visor that i left my mouthguard on the bench...i never forget to put it back in now!

Tell you what one of those mouth guards with a leash is worth it's weight in gold. I hate leaving my mouth guard in on the bench. I've had the leash attached to my chin strap, ear loop thingy and the box lacrosse/fish eye cage I'm wearing now. I pop it out when my shift ends pop it back in either before or as I start my next shift. It has saved me a concussion or 2, chipped teeth and probably a missing 1 or 2.

Why would anyone, including "dog" the bounty hunter call someone "bra"?

I don't disagree that a person can get hurt even while wearing a cage, however, it does seem a bit redundant to even say.

I think it's common knowledge around here that one can get hurt just sitting on the bench, but that's got nothing to do with visors.

I appreciate the effort in trying to contribute. Hell, at times, I lack substance when I try to contribute too. It happens.

But can we please not refer to others in terms of femenine under garments?! BRO.

I got hurt by my own visor. I went to make a move around a dman when he stepped up to hit me. My visor caught his nose and gave it a good gash and then came down and cut my cheek.

I've taken a stick to the mouth, and luckily no damage. As well as some accidental elbows and a few ricochet pucks. I currently use the small oakley visor like Crosby. I dont like wearing cages, but the next halfer I get will be the big Oakley like Heatley. Its got a brutal look to it, but it keeps your face better protected.

I havent been wearing a visor long but ive had a few things happen. In tryouts I was backchecking on a guy and he cut towards me with his head down so I went to step in to him. He saw me coming at the last second and ducked but I still got a piece of him. Somehow the guys stick came around and got me just under the eye. I was lucky, I walked away from that play with a cut on the bridge of my nose, bruise under my eye and a broken visor.

The almost exact same thing happend to me last night. I dumped the puck in and chased it down and went to hit there dman again he sees me coming and ducks his stick come aroundand gets me just under the nose. I was leaking pretty good but no stiches needed, didnt miss a shift went out still bleeding next shift. I consider myself lucky again becuase alittle higher its a possible broken nose, alittle lower might have lost some teeth.

Had a puck hit my mouth. Cut right through. 15 stitches total, 10 outside and 5 inside. Year before was skating in to get the puck and goalie decided to clear it. Hos stick clipped my chin and split it open. Six stitches there.

i suppose this isn't entirely relevant, but at the same time, i don't think it's worthy of making a new thread either. i've seen a few injuries at the rink, broken bones, bad cuts, even a compound fracture (leg). but nothing as bad as during pickup last night:

about 30 seconds after we started, a guy on my team was carrying the puck, and without being touched by anyone, he caught an edge, and pretty much launched parallel to the ice, then slammed down headfirst. he looked unconscious as soon as he hit, and then slid into the boards, again headfirst. i was off the bench and going for a phone immediately - it looked really bad. as i get to it, guys start yelling that he's bleeding a lot, so i go through with asking for an ambulance. after we hung up, i ran back to the ice - it looked like his visor somehow cut his forehead above his eye, but it wasn't anything remotely life-threatening. the bad part was the head trauma - cause at that point, he started convulsing. after a moment he stopped and regained consciousness, but had no idea where he was, and couldn't see anything. he recognized one of the employees voices, and was calling her name frantically. it was very freaky - honestly, blood doesn't bother me much - but the tone of his voice was what REALLY scared me. it's really off-putting hearing a grown man sound absolutely terrified and helpless. so we tried to calm him down while the ambulance was on the way, but he was pretty hysterical. he yelled at us to get off him when nobody was even touching him...he was very disoriented and irritable. paramedics arrived and had a hard time getting him on the stretcher since he was freaking out so bad - but they managed to, and then he started throwing up. they unstrapped him and i think he managed to sit up on his own, before puking on the ice. and then they took off. heard later from an employee / friend that he was out of trauma but staying the night in the hospital for observation.

i don't think that there was anything that any of us could've really done - basic first aid wouldn't have made a difference cause he wasn't bleeding severely, and he was breathing. we weren't going to move him, but he was moving all limbs once conscious anyways. we felt like all we could do was wait and try to calm him down. nobody really felt like playing after that, and the ice was in pretty bad shape from the injury, so almost everyone bailed.

i don't want to make that sound like i'm being overly dramatic, or preachy - but first thing tomorrow, i plan on buying a cage and a neck guard, and looking for my mouth guard. i think he even had a mouth guard in, and the cage / neck guard wouldn't have made any difference for his injury...but it really freaked me out. i guess a lot of people have first hand experiences like that before deciding to wear more protection, and i think that this was mine...

getting stitches or losing teeth from a high stick is one thing, but watching and thinking somebody might die in front of you is entirely different! be safe...

oh and as far as relevant injuries despite wearing a visor go - i was forechecking in low level beer league when some d-bag decides to flip the puck up at me rather than passing the puck away. it hit the shaft of my stick and went straight up, tagging me in the lip. a few loose teeth, a bit of blood, and a creepy upper lip bruise-stache that lasted for a couple weeks was the only result.

i've been hit a couple other times but that was the worst - again, knock on wood...

A buddy of mine went in for the stick lift and got me in the mouth. I ended up with a chipped tooth and needed 5 stitches in my bottom lip. I lucked out, could have been a lot worse

Guy at our local rink got his nose broken twice using a visor, butt end of the stick went underneath, was an accident but now he wears a cage.

switched to a visor about a year ago now, split my chin open first game with it cos a spanner on the other team came into me head first. probs should have got stitches but just left it. took a very weak deflection to the teeth but jus loosened em a bit no blood. other than that no probs i love it. i think you totally forget ur wearing a visor until something crashes off it

i wear an itech hs22 aviator cut btw

I played three seasons with only a visor, and then switched back to a cage, beccause I felt I was pushing my luck. The very first game back with a cage, I took a skate to the face after falling in a scrum. I know I would have been cut pretty bad. So I am sticking with the cage from now on.

On the flip side, my buddy switched from a visor / cage combo for one game to an Oakley Visor he had laying around. The visor itself got pushed down on his face, and he ended up needing 56 stitches. One game, all because his combo thing was scratched, and he didn't have time to get a new one.

Unless you are making money to play the sport, I would not go without a cage.

Chris