Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisg19

Shock Doctor Gravity Mouthpiece

Has anyone tried the Shock Doctor Gravity mouthpiece? It goes on the lower teeth, and seems to me would be less cumbersome than traditional mouthpieces. So if anyone has any info I would appreciate it.

Chris

I've been meaning to pick one up and try it out lately. I'll post an evaluation in the next few days if no one else has tried it out.

I picked one up a couple months ago I thought it was a pretty clever idea, I went to mold it to my mouth and the gel or whatever you want to call it on the piece that goes on the front of your teeth peeled away from the core. Whether or not i did that wrong, I chewed away at it and used it during a couple games anyway, it stayed down on my teeth but it felt just the same as a traditional mouthpiece.

I hate to hear that. I know how important a mouthgaurd is, but I just have so much trouble wearing them. I fell like I can't breathe properly. oh well, I will just have to get used to them I guess.

Thanks for the response,

Chris

I hate to hear that. I know how important a mouthgaurd is, but I just have so much trouble wearing them. I fell like I can't breathe properly. oh well, I will just have to get used to them I guess.

Thanks for the response,

Chris

Or go and get a custom one from the dentist.

Most dental mouthguards are designed to protect the teeth rather than the jaw and brain. A dental mouthguard is so thick that you'll have trouble closing your mouth fully, but your teeth won't break even with a puck hitting your mouth. It might break your jaw and give you a concussion, but your teeth will be fine.

The best you can use is a Mahercor mouthguard (Google it) and some form of facial protection since the Mahercor won't protect your teeth.

Yeah I want to check out that Mahercor mouthgaurd, but there is only one dentist listed in New Jersey, and I would need to get down there to see him. Is the guard that good? How about breathing, and talking, is it pretty unobtrusive?

Thanks for the reply,

Chris

Dental mouthgards can be extremely thin as well.

my dentist made one is extremely thin, and of course, its custom so it fits right to my teeth, i never have breathing issues as some people have complained about, overall the Dentist made route is pretty much the way to go

Thanks for the response,

Chris

I had one from the dentist and it was thin and i stil had problems using it, i ended up just using it for football where we have to have them, even those i cut it so much it just around my front 4 teeth i still find it annonying adn only will wear it when we go to the states and have to wear it whem we play other prep school

If I could ask a stupid question, are there any tricks to getting used to a mouth guard? I'd like to wear one but gag when trying. I have tried the Gravity and traditional mouthguards, just can't keep them in for very long.

Thanks!

I have used the gravity for about 6 months now. I like it a lot better than any mouth guard I have used on the upper teeth. I have no problems breathing and it always stays in place. I have even taken good hits to the chin/head and not had any symptoms of a concussion. I ware a cage, so concussions are my main concern. Some people tell me you need a brain to have a concussion, but I disagree.

I used to use a cheapo $3 one i found at sport chek, then upgraded to the shock doctor gel-max. I found the gel-max to hold on pretty well to my teeth, but it was very bulky and hard to talk/breathe with. At my new job, we were entitled to some pretty decent dental/health benefits, so i decided to pick up a dentist-made mouthguard. It cost about $150 in total, and i couldn't be happier with it. Very thin and light, good breathing ability, and im able to talk pretty well with it in. Also, my dentist told me that its actually just as good or even safer than the boil & bite mouthguards, since the dental ones stay put VERY well

If I could ask a stupid question, are there any tricks to getting used to a mouth guard? I'd like to wear one but gag when trying. I have tried the Gravity and traditional mouthguards, just can't keep them in for very long.

Thanks!

Cut them down really small, and it doesn't just have to cover your front 4 teeth cut them down so just your last one or two teeth are exposed. You could try a Junior one too its a little smaller. If you gag it may just be too long. When I was younger some kids hated the taste (which is odd because they are pretty tasteless) so they would soak them in gatorade, putting gum in it. If I remember correctly one of the kids I played pee wee with boiled his in gatorade. I just don't wear one unless I am playing in a game that has checking or its required.

Another recommendation to get one custom made at the dentist.

Mine is made by Proform, and fits to my teeth perfectly. No breathing issues and it isn't a hassle at all. Pop it in at the start of the period, take it out at the end, no hassle whatsoever.

The only little problem I had with mine is that it made my mouth really dry. My saliva was building up in and around my mouthguard, which left my mouth dry. I'm used to it now and it isn't noticeable at all. Took me about 4-5 practices to get used to.

Also, if you have sensitive teeth, it's a pain in the ass, but as with anything, time will heal that as well.

Mine is made by Proform, and fits to my teeth perfectly. No breathing issues

mine was also made by proform, and like he said, it does fit perfectly. The molding process at the dentist where they take your imprint does suck pretty bad though, the stuff is tasteless but nasty.

The only gripe i had about it is that its harder to take off since it rises alot higher into the gum area in the front than most store-bought mouthguards, but that just goes to show how well it will stay on there in case of an incident. After a while, it fits so well you wont even need to take it out for the whole game, i almost forget im wearing it compared to when i used my shock doctor.

Its my understanding that the bottom only mouth guards are primarily for people with full cages, to keep you from getting a concussion and biting your tongue, while upper ones are for people without full cages, and does all the above and also protects the top teeth. Not sure if you all just assumed that knowledge.

Man up, don't wear one.

Yeah! THAT'S RIGHT!

MAN UP!

DON'T WEAR A CUP EITHER!!!!

OR A HELMET!!!

GO WITHOUT SKATES!!!

JOUST WITH THE ZAMBONI!!!

PLAY GOALIE NAKED!!!

JUST MAN UP!!!

WTF????

How in Sam Hain were you allowed to continue posting this long?

Seriously. You should be applauded for your efforts to protect your teeth!

I find it easier to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth.

Mine is made by Proform, and fits to my teeth perfectly. No breathing issues

mine was also made by proform, and like he said, it does fit perfectly. The molding process at the dentist where they take your imprint does suck pretty bad though, the stuff is tasteless but nasty.

The only gripe i had about it is that its harder to take off since it rises alot higher into the gum area in the front than most store-bought mouthguards, but that just goes to show how well it will stay on there in case of an incident. After a while, it fits so well you wont even need to take it out for the whole game, i almost forget im wearing it compared to when i used my shock doctor.

Thats the one i have and i hate it, along with the rest of the mouth guards i just can breath with it on.

I use the Gravity and I like it quite a bit. Drinking with it in is no issue and there is only a slight issue with speech with it in place.

Now, I would not recommend it if you are not using a full face shield as it does not protect the front teeth. Also, to get it to fit and stay you will have to boil and fit the mouthpiece 4 or 5 times.

All in all I do recommend it, provided you are wearing a cage or full face shield.

Its my understanding that the bottom only mouth guards are primarily for people with full cages, to keep you from getting a concussion and biting your tongue, while upper ones are for people without full cages, and does all the above and also protects the top teeth. Not sure if you all just assumed that knowledge.

Mouthguards do nothing to prevent concussions.

Mouthguards do nothing to prevent concussions.

That depends on who you ask. Some experts believe they do, some do not. There are way too many factors involved, such as neck strength and head movement to make any factual statement either way.

The primary purpose of a mouthguard is to protect teeth and the way I see it, a lot of chipped teeth are from tooth to tooth impacts. Long story short, (too late, I know) without one, you can still chip your teeth, even in a cage.