Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JGraz15

Any updates on the sale of NBH?

interesting read, I was surfing through articles about it today, and found one where one position was that hockey membership numbers are waning at the sport interest level, thus the decline. The other position came from a shop owner saying that manufacturers, NBH in particular, are pricing themselves out of the market, with top end skates selling for $900 canadian. Skates or mortgage?

Would going back a step in materials to lessen cost, and pass along an ultimate lower cost to the consumer help revitalize interest though? Would a lower cost of entry to the sport generate enough push to get people skating and playing again?

I think it's interesting that we see a decline in sports outside of the big three, and probably in those as well, but a dramtic increase in online gaming, console gaming, obesity rates, interactive media online, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe it's a pure lack of interest because of these external factors? Whoever does pick up NBH is going to have to do something.

You make a very interesting point that I have been harping on for years. (Here I go showing my age) When I was growing there were not any video game consoles, or extraneous "couch based" entertainment. I came home from school, put on my "grub" clothes and went running, biking, causing mayhem, and generally being an active child. With the number of diversions, and passing of blame (ie a drug for everything....including being a lazy parent) there is far too many non-active influences on todays youth. I fear that the days of getting out there with your child for soccer, football, etc etc may be over. And our current capitalistic society is far too career, and self-gratification driven to care about the health and general well being of our children.

Ok.....I'll hop on off of my towering soap box now. ;)

maybe Adidas will pick them up and compete with themselves in the hockey market

It's what they did this past year in the Lacrosse market, each company emerged pretty much at the same time appealing to different styles of players Adidas seeming more traditional, RBK being the more advanced and technological.

For Example

Adidas

http://lacrosse.com/ViewProductImages.proc...amp;Image=92611

RBK

http://lacrosse.com/ViewProductImages.proc...mp;Image=229252

Would going back a step in materials to lessen cost, and pass along an ultimate lower cost to the consumer help revitalize interest though? Would a lower cost of entry to the sport generate enough push to get people skating and playing again?

Cost of entry is relative. Decent (not great) skates can be had for $80CDN with similar graphic styles as the more expensive skates. Will a pair of Supreme30 skates work at the NHL level? ... no but they're not intended to and as ability increases so can the skates. Most brands have skates to fit many budgets (real or perceived). The problem is that society has bought the whole idea that "only the latest/stiffest/flashiest will do" and nothing else could ever be as good. If a player needs a stiffer skate he will find a way to afford the higher price associated with that product. Parents placing a 8yr old in SupremeONE90's is systematic of the problem the industry faces. The industry, in one example, by painting sticks other than what they are, is a great way to push product but it also helps to further the above myth (only the latest/stiffest/flashiest will do) and widens the gap between what a player needs to play the game and what a player percieves they need to play the game.

Nike did a bad job with icehockey, they made price points go up on all products, by putting out insane amounts on marketing,team sponsor deals and at last products with lots of mistakes, look at the quality on recent Bauer Nike products like One 90 skates, Tuuck steel and a lot of there sticks

Also a bad behavior and selling products to mainly chain stores and forgetting about the pro shop who got very bad business terms from them, smaller account limit and much more money driven look at the business

Ispo, the world biggest sport retail fair, every year all hockey companies have stands near the Canada pavilion, here customers can talk to all brands, have beer with stars like Forsberg at the Easton Stand our other stars, it is a part of the game to give retailers something back, not Nike, the hide in own rooms with Vip entrance, suits and braving personell, not the way we small folks like, better to have a beer with nice Easton hockey people than a MBA from New York!

Also, there european business is really bad, they have moved there warehouse 4 times in 3 years period, all managers have been sacked 7 times for bad results in a 10 years period, and at least we make better products in Europe than this cheap China stuff, that is a big problem for them and it will not go over for bauer, there products is not so hot anymore

We have Graf skates from Switzerland, sticks from Finland and a booming textile industry in Eastern Europe who make high quality products and garments

Nike really overpaid for its hockey business, same as they do this days in the soccer business with the purchase of Umbro , European people will not take this high priced crap and you can see that on there sale figures!

Nike did a bad job with icehockey, they made price points go up on all products, by putting out insane amounts on marketing,team sponsor deals and at last products with lots of mistakes, look at the quality on recent Bauer Nike products like One 90 skates, Tuuck steel and a lot of there sticks

Also a bad behavior and selling products to mainly chain stores and forgetting about the pro shop who got very bad business terms from them, smaller account limit and much more money driven look at the business

Ispo, the world biggest sport retail fair, every year all hockey companies have stands near the Canada pavilion, here customers can talk to all brands, have beer with stars like Forsberg at the Easton Stand our other stars, it is a part of the game to give retailers something back, not Nike, the hide in own rooms with Vip entrance, suits and braving personell, not the way we small folks like, better to have a beer with nice Easton hockey people than a MBA from New York!

Also, there european business is really bad, they have moved there warehouse 4 times in 3 years period, all managers have been sacked 7 times for bad results in a 10 years period, and at least we make better products in Europe than this cheap China stuff, that is a big problem for them and it will not go over for bauer, there products is not so hot anymore

We have Graf skates from Switzerland, sticks from Finland and a booming textile industry in Eastern Europe who make high quality products and garments

Nike really overpaid for its hockey business, same as they do this days in the soccer business with the purchase of Umbro , European people will not take this high priced crap and you can see that on there sale figures!

Well, you won't have your Finnish made sticks for long, Montreal Hockey just went tits up last week.

Well, you won't have your Finnish made sticks for long, Montreal Hockey just went tits up last week.

Any links to this info? I've heard rumors, but can't find anything.

here in Finnland wwe have heard rumors over 2 years by now and when I did order a Nitro Lite last year it took 6 months for them to get it shiped to me who lives around 300-400 km from the factory. but now all the problems seems to be ok a goalie on my team ordered 4 Nitro Lite composite goalie sticks and he got them in a week

I thought Nagale(spelling?) selling the Wild to make an end-around on NBH might have been in the works. I guess NBH raised the ante a bit too high. I am also glad to hear Easton is out of the running. That would have been a supply/demand nightmare in the business for dealers.

Sorta surprised that Easton couldnt hang around longer. Figure they have to be doing pretty well in the cycling industry(helmets have a 2/3's market share) and baseball(much larger target market than hockey).

Sorta surprised that Easton couldnt hang around longer. Figure they have to be doing pretty well in the cycling industry(helmets have a 2/3's market share) and baseball(much larger target market than hockey).

Same here. I would have liked to have seen Easton take over. I like what they're product and we've had good dealings with them.

Same here. I would have liked to have seen Easton take over. I like what they're product and we've had good dealings with them.

Explain to me how that would've worked out...

"Yeah, you guys have 65% market share in the NHL but you don't know shit about skates."

Explain to me how that would've worked out...

"Yeah, you guys have 65% market share in the NHL but you don't know shit about skates."

JR,are you talking to me or vakar?

Also in regards to vakar's comment on the fact that you would have liked to see easton take over, I have to totally disagree and I know I should have been clearer in my previous post. I would like nothing more than for Easton to dissappear from the hockey industry. This is only because of our local rep who is heavily disliked by every retailer I talk to in my area. I should have been more specific in my post in saying the revenue that bell and giro helmets and easton cycling componants and baseball products bring to the corporation would lead me to think they could hang in the bidding significantly longer than mission/itech hockey.

Now, now, if you're having problems with your rep, take it up with the sales manager.

Now JR, no need to give suggestions on how to throw people under the bus. If you have a problem with a rep why not just bring it up to the rep. You would be amazed at what reps would do to avoid their sales manager getting involved

Thank you both for the suggestions. Trust me JR, I would have no problem throwing this guy under any bus I could find but the owner didnt really want to pursue it. It wasnt a huge deal. Now that Easton's booking orders are done through an excel spread sheet and sent directly to Easton, there is no way for him to pad our orders so problem solved:)

Now, now, if you're having problems with your rep, take it up with the sales manager.

Now JR, no need to give suggestions on how to throw people under the bus. If you have a problem with a rep why not just bring it up to the rep. You would be amazed at what reps would do to avoid their sales manager getting involved

Some reps deserve to be thrown under the bus, repeatedly. It's no different than any other industry.

Some reps deserve to be thrown under the bus, repeatedly. It's no different than any other industry.

Sorry, it was just a little joke between JR and I

Just last week on HNIC they were talking about a Gretzky/Lemieux investment group involved in acquisition of NBH...is that still accurate or BS?

back when somebody mentioned that Mission Itech would eventually would bail out of skates and sticks i mentioned that i have alot of trust in the people i work with. our guys are VERY serious about our direction. if you are or were not a fan of MIH...take another look!

Guys,

A bit off topic, and maybe a stupid question, but when they do sell will it go back to being just Bauer hockey or retain the Nike Bauer name? Alos what about the products will they be the same or change? I have always used Bauer poducts then to nike bauer, I was going to buy some new equipment but with the sale comming im not sure I will buy from them now. Reason being if the name changes, or equipment changes im not going to get used to a product then have to get something else later on. Plus who wants stuff that says Nike Bauer when they wont exist anymore. Any insight would be helpfull. If it does change, looks like RBK/CCM for me. Someone who hates change, I found it difficult when I came back to hockey and all the sticks were composites.

thanks,

Casey