Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LkptTiger

Answering Machines/Voicemail

I'm looking for any excuse I can get to not do my school work right now, so I just started playing with my new phone and decided that it was time to change my tired old Voicemail message...

I ended-up recording this: George Costanza Message...but muted over "George" and said "Rob" instead.

Curious as to whether or not some of you guys have anything original, or if you stick with the tried-and-true "You've reached ****. I can't come to the phone right now, but if you leave your name, number and s brief message, I'll get back to you as soon as possible".

I personally like to use the tactic where it seems like you've picked up but its really taking a message so people really think they are talking to you and then it says that they can either leave another message or whatever. Its great when you have someone call you or come up to you and say "thanks dick, I was talking to your phone for a good 2 minutes then I realized it was the answering machine service."

For now though I have the usual tried and true.

Mine used to say "either I can't find my phone or I don't want to talk to you" but I changed it last time I was looking for a new job. A couple years later, it's still the same.

I personally like to use the tactic where it seems like you've picked up but its really taking a message so people really think they are talking to you and then it says that they can either leave another message or whatever. Its great when you have someone call you or come up to you and say "thanks dick, I was talking to your phone for a good 2 minutes then I realized it was the answering machine service."

How do they miss the *beep*?

My old one encouraged people to not leave a message, since I HATE listening to voicemail (especially about trivial shit). "Hey, I'm not answering right now; I'm probably either in class or at the rink. Text me - if you're lucky, I'll be in class and I'll get back to you right away, but if I'm on the ice it might be awhile, anyways." Unfortunately, too many people have found-out that I'd rather read a text than call VM, so I get a lot of VM from my douchebag friends who live to make me miserable.

Mine used to say "either I can't find my phone or I don't want to talk to you" but I changed it last time I was looking for a new job. A couple years later, it's still the same.

I should change mine. Right now it's some apathetic "hey, not here" that's probably 5 years old. Now that I'm actually getting real calls like work, repair garage, school admin. services, insurance co, etc. I should make it more professional.

Maybe after I start work at the plant in Philly this fall.

I loooooooooooooooooooooves me some visual voicemail.

iPhone I presume?

I'm still looking for a free version for my HTC touch but all the ones I've found are pay per month deals.

In my experience voice mail is pretty much dead this generation, only people I get them from anymore are my parents.

I had a good one like that.

Voicemail:

"Hello... Hey, hold on, I can't hear you."

**Music playing in background**

"Hey, turn that down."

**Music gets quieter**

"Sorry about that, what's up?"

**waits about 5 seconds**

"Oh hey, I forgot to ask you something... Can you leave a message after the beep"

I'd literally get messages from the same people saying "Dammit, you got me again" or "Wait, what? umm call me back?" haha

I loooooooooooooooooooooves me some visual voicemail.

iPhone I presume?

I'm still looking for a free version for my HTC touch but all the ones I've found are pay per month deals.

In my experience voice mail is pretty much dead this generation, only people I get them from anymore are my parents.

Voice mail dead? I wish more people left me messages. I hate turning my phone on after class and having 3-4 missed calls. Then I have to call all of them back to see WTF they wanted if I care enough.

Only thing I hate more is people using their damn phones during class, or having them go off. If you're paying $900 for this class and you're HERE, why don't you pay attention? You'll learn just as much in bed or on the ski hill.

Believe it or not, I've sent/received about 10 text messages in the last 5 years of having a phone. People think I'm all about texting when they see my smart phone with full keyboard, but it was free. I paid the $7 fee for it and I use it for calls only, despite it's 1,000 features.

"Hey its Jimmy! If you can dream it, you can do it!"

my friend instantly changed his voicemail to that once he walked out of Blades of Glory. Lets just say it got old after the first call

Mine was: This is (my initials) Inc. Thanks for calling,... and it went on from there.

I switched it to something like TBLFan's:

Me: What's up man, can you hold a sec.

5 sec later

Me: Yo, what's up...

Then they would start talking. A few people caught on. I got several messages from people thinking that I heard them and it was my answering service. It messed work up a few times. Now the voicemail is standard...

With people who have the "gotcha!" type of message, I usually get back at them;

If they're in my class-

"So yeah, that's pretty much it, they said not everyone got the email since the servers are wacky, but we're still getting quizzed on it tomorrow, good luck."

Otherwise something like-

"So if you could that would rock, I mean it's not life and death, but you'll probably end up paying a thousand dollars or so if you don't. Alright, I'm counting on you, talk to you later. Bye."

Then I don't answer when they call back.

I honestly have no clue what my outgoing message is. I think it's just me going "Please leave a message." There's no such thing as funny outgoing messages.

"So if you could that would rock, I mean it's not life and death, but you'll probably end up paying a thousand dollars or so if you don't. Alright, I'm counting on you, talk to you later. Bye."

That's hardly believable unless they really did something they thought would cost mucho bucks...

I text a lot in class... But thats because half my professors go off on stupid tangents that have nothing to do with the class. Seriously, I don't care what you did on your vacation unless its going to be on the exam.

That's hardly believable unless they really did something they thought would cost mucho bucks...

You'd be surprised.

..."So yeah, you might want to get a hold of him, he stopped me and said he saw your truck in the commuter lot and the whole back end looked smashed. He has the plates of the guy that did it. Hope everything's cool so you don't have to pay for it. Best of luck, bye"

They have no idea who it was and they've got to either trek across campus and check their car or frantically call every guy we both know. He was pissed, especially since his spare key was in our room and I moved his truck. But that was a whole different prank, utilizing his bastardly outgoing as a tool in it.

Mine used to go as follows:

Hello?

*pause*

Hellllooooooo?

What? I can't frickin' hear what you're sayin?

*bit of static-y noise caused by rubbin the speaker on the couch*

Man, bad signal here.

*extra long pause*

You still there?....Good, because I'm not, so you're gonna have to leave me a message.

This normally caused them to start screamin into the phone in an attempt to get me to hear what they were sayin. People got pissed off though, and my supervisor hated having to wait for it to end before he could leave the message. So now I just use the standard message that comes with the phone service. Less screaming, less trouble.

Why do you say that? If we presume that we're leaving a VM after we called someone that we wanted to talk with, what alternative would be better than leaving a VM?

Txt. It's much mo' easier.

Example: I find-out that one of my buddies scored some late ice-time for tonight. I call one of my teammates to let him know, but I get his voicemail; but instead of leaving a message, I hang-up and shoot him a quick text - something like "11:30 ice at Depew - I'll grab your shit when I get mine...just show-up." This way he doesn't have to call his mailbox, listen to the message, erase the message, etc., etc.

It took me 10 seconds to type and send, and will take him even less time to read, and it's all laid out right in-front of him. He knows that we're getting on the ice, he knows where, he knows when and he knows that I'm going to bring his gear with me when I stop by our rink to get my own stuff from our dressing room...all he has to do is get himself to Depew by about 11:20.

Okay, in circumstances like that, where I know the person and don't really need to talk to him, I can see how text would be better. But there other times I really need to talk with someone -- and don't know their address for texting. Leaving a descriptive VM works better then.

Okay, in circumstances like that, where I know the person and don't really need to talk to him, I can see how text would be better. But there other times I really need to talk with someone -- and don't know their address for texting. Leaving a descriptive VM works better then.

There is no address for texting, it's just the phone number, but I get what you are saying. VM can be useful in professional situations, but then again I ALWAYS prefer an e-mail to a VM or phone call.

If it is a friend/social call and I can't get a hold of someone I will just send them a text saying 'call me back' or with most of my friends I can expect them just to call me as soon as they see they have a missed call on their phone.