Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karly14

Taping the Blade

I use a round toe curve as well. I just carefully tape beyond the toe by a half inch or so and then used scissors to cut off the excess. You need to use a good pair of sharp scissors and if you cut as close to the toe as possible you can make a nearly invisible seam.

Shouldn't be hard, just tape over the toe like you are taping the rest of the stick, then cut it with scissors. If it's still difficult, obviously you need to just tape the middle.

I use a round toe curve as well. I just carefully tape beyond the toe by a half inch or so and then used scissors to cut off the excess. You need to use a good pair of sharp scissors and if you cut as close to the toe as possible you can make a nearly invisible seam.

I pretty much do the same. Flatten the edges that go off the blade as you tape so that you don't get the wrinkles as you continue. Then just scissors.

16042049mj8.jpg

16606667ou2.jpg

10mj7.jpg

If you wax it up it gets smoother. If you don't use wax a heat gun and runs rubbing the tape down will make it smoother and stay put.

Taping the toe just feels better when toe dragging. You don't get that composite on ice feeling. Also helps durability on the toe.

When I demo-ed the compro I taped it like yours(mack), just so I can see the durability on the blade. My toe drags suffered.

I usually just do a simple tape job like Mack's. But, when I use the Christian tapered blades, I find the toe chips very easily (like 1 game easy), and once that happens it's the begining of the end. So, I started taping over the toe and this seems to help.

I found that using cloth tape as opposed to friction works better. I just keep taping like the blade is the same width all the way past the toe. Then, stick the tape together and cut with scissors. Then I wax generously, which is the key, because it keeps the tape from seperating and opening up.

I'm also a fan of TBL's method. Once I cut around the toe I use a puck to "crush" the area where the tape comes together to the toe. Finish 'er off with some wax and it's go time.

I'm no toe drag guy, I do it to protect the blade.

I tape it for toe drag purposes as well. The few times I've tried without, the puck wants to slide off the toe more.

I do my blade exactly like TBLfan. Tape round and cut with scissors. With practice it doesn't even take that long.

same here, except I tape toe to heel

There's a untested myth that says that you get more spin from a heel-to-toe tape job. It makes sense but I just prefer it heel to toe, it's more natural to do.

The Speeza blade was a bitch to try to tape over the toe, you'd have to literally cut off 3" of tape at the top of the blade.

I love to toe drag the puck so I really need to tape the toe, but with the blades I prefer to use you can definitely see why I like to toe drag.

You probably already have an idea on how to tape toe, but basically just keep taping around the toe as if it was a square toe, but you pinch and seal the tape where it comes together and trim off the excess. There was a great picture of this somewhere on a toe taping thread.

haha, think it was one of my pictures. The speeza is like a triangle, I could have done it but it wasn't worth the effort.

Hey TBL, you wouldn't be interested in selling one of those Kovalchuk Pro's you got would ya :P I think I'm in love since I started using it.

my technique you dont really need to cut anything.

here is what you do first tape like the guy earlier in the thread showed you to:

16042049mj8.jpg

THEN, put a single strip of tape placed so that it goes like this over the far end of the blade. the rounded corners of your blade should make the tape want to do a 45 degree rotation when you go to the other side of the blade. Should look like this (image has a look at both sides)

69122443an9.png

then place a tape in the same fashion on the OTHER side of the blade.

Now what you do is, just tape up your blade normally, and you can stop just before the blade starts to get rounded, what it will do is cover the 45 degree pieces of tape and you won't have to go any further to the rounded part of the blade which gives you the excess.

I;ve never really paid much attention to players sticks when watching NHL games, but now that i play ice, I find myself doing this a lot more.... I ahve noticed that some players seem to tape their sticks in a way that completely covers the toe.... I assume this is for more control...toe drags etc....

Does anyone here do this?