Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jat

So, heel curve lovers,

Where's the sweet spot located exactly?
Usually the point where the curve starts or is at its deepest.

I like my P31s becuase they're fairly shallow with a moderate amount of loft. I can clear a backhander off the glass and out of the zone or make a pass from my goal line to the far blue line and hit a guy on the tape. The biggest difficulty I have is keeping the puck on the ice when passing or shooting. Low isn't a problem, but fully on the ice is problematic for me.

i have to dissaggre with you there mack, i find my wrist shots to be very accutate and hard, but i dont roll the puck from heel to toe like many players, i try to keep the puck on the sweet spot of the blade (far back heel) and let em rip and it works perfectly for me

I tend to roll it from mid-blade to toe, and while that's not conductive to power, I find that a heel curve allows me to get some "loft" on the puck without changing the direction of the puck when I roll it.

The best way I could describe a heel curve, personally, is that the vast majority of the blade's "twist" is on the heel, so you get a flat, slightly upward-turned face that makes shots and passes easy to control. I approach my shots pretty flatly, and I can just put a little roll in my wrist and more or less put my shots and passes where I want without literally having to turn over the stick to the point that I'm pointing directly at the spot I've shot on my follow-through.

Guys who like toe curves would probably find a heel curve to make their shots "die," while I find that, given the mechanics of my shot, the backspin impelled upon a puck by a toe curve sends my left-handed shots off to the left, no matter how hard I try to shoot them to the right.

I feel like a heel curve makes my shot "die" as well, as it flutters and never goes where I want. I was using a Ribiero and kept going back to my Naslund. Although I stickhandle a LOT better on the Ribiero.

I took about 200 shots with a perry last night (less extreme drury) and I must say the slappers were absolute cannons, although unless I really concentrate it's going to hit the cross bar or go slightly over from outside the circles.

Was really unhappy with my snappers/wristers, but I could feel them coming around and the ice was shit/arms tired by the end so I think that was a big factor. Could handle the puck pretty well but my toe drags were way down compared to say a Heatley curve.

speaking of ribiero patterns, just switched to it and wow, it is pretty sweet. came from spezza (retail) composites and this thing is great. a little shorter blade, square toe, a little higher lie....what more could a 6'3" Dman want??? First time on the ice with it I roofed 2 pretty good tallys. I have a feeling this pattern has a future on the end of my dolo's

I like the Modano because it's got very little curve and a neutral face. I find bananas to be unpredictable when shooting (especially trying to get a quick shot off). You do have to use better technique with the heel though to keep shots from fluttering.

Oh yeah, heel curves tend to really increase the velocity of slap shots for me. Don't know why, but they do. Could be why defensemen seem to use Drury's a lot more than forwards.

I'll be giving the Drury another shot now that I'm getting a non-intermediate shaft again. More likely I'll stick it in the stiffer shaft for more slap/snap shots and use a Modano in the whippier shaft for wrister/snap shots.

If you can't appreciate the Drury's beauty you are far from ever becoming a lover of heel curves. It may be a shock to look at and use but once you get the hang of it, it's golden.

Lowest heel? Hmm, technically I guess you could try the Warrior lie 4 Fedorov (not sure if they make the Kovalev in a 4) but that's still about a 5 lie. I also don't count a Fed/Modano to be a heel, but that's the heel lover/purist in me.

I'm with Mack on this one. I fell in love with the Drury after the first shot I took. I find it very easy to pick corners with that curve and it allows you to put some nasty sauce on a puck when you desire. I will never switch...EVER!

I went through a period where I tried every different curve I could get my hands on. I don't believe in using a curve as a crutch to make up for deficiencies in my game. To me it's all about confidence. I felt most confident doing the things I do using a Lidstrom pattern. Then, when I couldn't find any tapered Lidstrom blades, I bought a Drury clone.

I'll agree with Mack that your traditional wrister does suffer using a Drury, or similar pattern (not with the Lidstrom though). But, I feel way more confident with my snappers using a Drury.

As far as my slapshot is concerned, I hesitate to say it's increased my velocity on it's own, but, it gave me more confidence. To me it just "feels" so much better taking a slapper using a heel wedge like a Drury. In fact it gave me more confidence to the point that I practiced it way more than I used to (used to play forward and never used my slapshot in games, so never really practiced it). And now I have one of the better shots from the point on my team (get all that PP time now,hehe).

One of my favorite sticks was a z-carbon hybrid w/drury curve. Really had to "cup" the puck to wrist it but when possible I could snipe top shelf nicely. I've gone back and forth between patterns and am settled on the Lid/Drurys/Modano. Use the Modo for D when I'm back. The Drury/Lids for up front. Drury stickhandling is sweet just takes a little adjustment but it has alot of straight blade to help for some nice outlet passes. Never had a prob w/backhands w/Drury or Modo. Lids is another story though.

I was thinking I need to try it before I could love it. I'll be lookin at a drury or kovalev. Maybe this is just what the wrister doctor ordered!

Be prepared to accidentally brain your goalie by accident on your first shot... My first time switching to one, all I got was rise on the puck... but when I started rolling my wrists more, I picked up the control... I actually do find myself snapping the puck waaaaay too often. Maybe I'm learning more than I thought?!

See, I played floor hockey with a ball for 15+ years before switching to ice hockey... so it took some major adjustments to get the knack for shooting a puck without killing someone.

What I love about the Drury:

It's a wedge, that's what I used growing up and what I prefer. It's not that deep and I hate having any kind of a curve so I like that. I like the shovel on it because I play in close and any little bit helps if I have to roof garbage from the goalmouth. Wristshots? I haven't taken one in years as I rely on snappers because wristshots are not going to be worth piss from the Drury.

Have you ever tried the Sullivan Pro? I saw a few of them at a LHS and seems to be the exact description of curve that you like. Personally I think it's a filthy curve, but I pretty much dislike anything that's not mid/toe closed.

I used a Drury for the longest time but for some reason, theres some things that where just awkward to do, I kept using it because my passing was so crisp...

One day I picked up a Sakic and the game became easer, only thing is you have to work hard to no raise the puck, I have a hard time beating goalies 5 hole or keeping it on the ice, on the flip side, my Slap shot velocity is way better and every goal is a spectacular roof job...

I recently started using a Drury-esque blade after using big mid curves (Sakic, Naslund, Draper) for a long time.

I too looked at the Drury blade and my initial thought was 'what the fuck is that' but after playing with one my opinion has changed.

The one thing I have noticed with it has been the ability for me to position my shots more. I used to have alot of problems shooting low but with having a wedge type blade when I roll my wrists to shoot the straighter toe helps keep the puck low.

The other advantage I have found is on the backhand. The wedge gives a larger sweet spot when receiving passes and again the straightness of the toe helps when roofing the puck on the backhand.

habookus-

I've used one, an old Nike blade, and it was all right but the pattern's changed and I went custom since then. It never had enough shovel on it for my liking.

speaking of ribiero patterns, just switched to it and wow, it is pretty sweet. came from spezza (retail) composites and this thing is great. a little shorter blade, square toe, a little higher lie....what more could a 6'3" Dman want??? First time on the ice with it I roofed 2 pretty good tallys. I have a feeling this pattern has a future on the end of my dolo's

i have a feeling they dont!

What I love about the Drury:

It's a wedge, that's what I used growing up and what I prefer. It's not that deep and I hate having any kind of a curve so I like that. I like the shovel on it because I play in close and any little bit helps if I have to roof garbage from the goalmouth. Wristshots? I haven't taken one in years as I rely on snappers because wristshots are not going to be worth piss from the Drury.

Have you ever tried the Sullivan Pro? I saw a few of them at a LHS and seems to be the exact description of curve that you like. Personally I think it's a filthy curve, but I pretty much dislike anything that's not mid/toe closed.

What flex and version of his curve (last I saw was E) are they? Best curve I've ever used but I can't find them in R flex anymore.

I absolutely love the Drury curve and will use nothing else.

My question is, I do like to try weird curves and as this may not be "weird" do any lefty's out there know of any pro-stock curves that are Drury like but have more shovel?

I really like the curve of the Drury but believe it or not I think I would like even more loft. Just wondering so I could maybe look around and try some new curves out.

I absolutely love the Drury curve and will use nothing else.

My question is, I do like to try weird curves and as this may not be "weird" do any lefty's out there know of any pro-stock curves that are Drury like but have more shovel?

I really like the curve of the Drury but believe it or not I think I would like even more loft. Just wondering so I could maybe look around and try some new curves out.

Heatley Pro Stock is nice..... the Steve Thomas Patterns were a wicked wedge... if you can find them.... i think i have two tapered RTMs in the garage.

Well I have an AK27 coming and so I'm just looking to find as many standard wedge curves as I can find to try out.

So if anyone has any LH standard wicked wedge blades (composite preferably) that you could let go of, I'll take them :). Shoot me a PM.