Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahearn10

Custom skates

Yes - because traces will show any bumps and the overall shape of your foot. Remember, they will make the skate to your foot, so why NOT trace?

I take full payment - it's not like I can put the skate on the rack if you don't like it or change your mind.

I appreciate the help on this. I wish I could just come to MI and let someone expierienced handle this...

Are there any clues or tell tales that the trace is accurate or inaccurate?

Has NBH ever messed a pair of skates up based on a trace?

I appreciate the help on this. I wish I could just come to MI and let someone expierienced handle this...

You and me both, buddy....

Custom does not equal perfect. Custom is custom built based on the information provided. A proper tracing and measurements will help to eliminate mistakes but there is always a chance for error. Even Peter Forsberg gets custom skates that do not fit him 100% comfortably. And, BTW, he is measured right in St. Jerome by the man in charge of the custom shop. And his foot is measured using a custom casting of his foot. So, if Peter Forsberg can have a problem, so can anyone.

Custom does not equal perfect. Custom is custom built based on the information provided. A proper tracing and measurements will help to eliminate mistakes but there is always a chance for error. Even Peter Forsberg gets custom skates that do not fit him 100% comfortably. And, BTW, he is measured right in St. Jerome by the man in charge of the custom shop. And his foot is measured using a custom casting of his foot. So, if Peter Forsberg can have a problem, so can anyone.

Fair enough, but are there any telltail signs that the tracing came out well or that the guy botched it?

I am also in the market for some new skates, my Vapor XXV's are breaking down some, and I really think I am at the point right now where I could benefit somewhat from a pro line skate, either XXXX's, One95's when available, or another brand of pro level skate. I am definetly considering a custom fit skate also, I def think its worth the extra cash. One of my feet is a little wider, and another a little shorter so I think custom may be the way to go. I skate 4-5 times per week. I will be talking to all the reps this next weekend here in mpls/st paul at the Lets Play Hockey Expo.

Anyways, I have a terminolgy question.....

What is a "last"?

Thats all I can think of right now, I think the term "custom" in custom skate has helped me make my decision, I just dont know what a last is.

Thanks guys

Steve

Anybody have a picture of a "last"?

Is it like a manequin of a foot that the skate manufactures build the boot around?

Thanks again

Steve

Yes

Go on nikebauer.com and check out the videos on St-Jerome.

Just got word back from my LHS. The NBH rep said they expect the one95's will be available in may. Extra $100 for a custom fit, and as JR has said customs wont be available till june due to the NHL push for them. Still I am excited to get my first pair of customs :)

What do you guys think of the Red holder on the One95's? Ive been seeing it a lot in the NHL and think it might be something to do with my customs to be different from the stock skate.

Extra $100 in YOUR LHS.

Eh, don't be that guy...blue is fine...

I agree....the blue accents on the holder go nicely with the blue piece on the heel.

Extra $100 in YOUR LHS.

I agree....the blue accents on the holder go nicely with the blue piece on the heel.

don't be that guy haha, yah i think ill stick with the blue

Just got word back from my LHS. The NBH rep said they expect the one95's will be available in may. Extra $100 for a custom fit, and as JR has said customs wont be available till june due to the NHL push for them. Still I am excited to get my first pair of customs :)

What do you guys think of the Red holder on the One95's? Ive been seeing it a lot in the NHL and think it might be something to do with my customs to be different from the stock skate.

I am going to get mine first!

Hahah... I am stoaked as well... if these custom skates are as comfortable as I think they are going to be, I am def going to get a pair of custom skates for the net... I am not placing my order until I try on retail skate to double check... Have you ordered yours already?

JR - do you know if the one95 goal skates are made of the same material as the player skates? or do they just bare the same name?

No I haven't ordered them yet. I am definately going to try a pair on first, I am just really hoping they fit well, my 8000's fit nicely before I got my XXX's so Im hoping the supreme fit will be alright.

No I haven't ordered them yet. I am definately going to try a pair on first, I am just really hoping they fit well, my 8000's fit nicely before I got my XXX's so Im hoping the supreme fit will be alright.

I was ready to go last week, but the shop guy did not have One90s in a 10 and then had me try on XXXX's. He told me they fit the same and I could order based on that. According to this forum, they do not fit the same and that sketched me out. I am going to wait for the retail ones to guage a fit

JR - do you know if the one95 goal skates are made of the same material as the player skates? or do they just bare the same name?

From what I have heard, same material but different last - they're going with the old goalie Supreme (7000-era) last as opposed to the Vapor. They're also going back to the white plastic cowlings instead of the disastrous fracturing lexan.

From what I have heard, same material but different last - they're going with the old goalie Supreme (7000-era) last as opposed to the Vapor. They're also going back to the white plastic cowlings instead of the disastrous fracturing lexan.

So it will be "alive" material but a traditional boot shape? Not the minimum boot design of the one90/95?

Will it be lighter than the xxx?

Extra $100 in YOUR LHS.

Personally, as a Flames fan, I am fundamentally opposed to any colour that reminds me of the Oilers so I'd like it if they could put the silver/grey heel piece from the One 75 on a pair of One 95 customs for me. :ph34r:

I was ready to go last week, but the shop guy did not have One90s in a 10 and then had me try on XXXX's. He told me they fit the same and I could order based on that. According to this forum, they do not fit the same and that sketched me out. I am going to wait for the retail ones to guage a fit

One90's and XXXX's do not fit the same at all. So I'd get your foot in the skate you want to order before ordering anything.

If anyone can help me, do you know any good LHS in the tri-state area that do custom fit skates. Preferably closer to NYC. I want to get custom fitted XXXX's. I'm on stock xxx's now. My dad raised me a bauer boy. I've always worn bauers but if i switch it would only be to grafs. I need a good spot in NYC that KNOWS skates and fitting.

West Side Skate does an excellent job fitting skates. I believe they can do customs as well, but not sure what brands they have other than Graf. I do know they will work and work on a stock booth to make sure it fits and they are the ONLY skate shop in NYC that try to take care of their customers. The other shops as far as I'm concerned might as well be selling cars with the service they provide.

Here is their site: West Side Skate

Just go to your LHS and ask them. If they do not know, have them bring in their sales rep to do the fitting. They are trained how to do it.

JR, I only wish you visited the local shops in the NY area. A sales rep to come in and do a fitting??? No way.

The shops I have walked into ask you a size, and give you a box with a pair of skates in that size. Then it's off to the register to pay. Fitting? Non-existent.

That's why I'm a fan of West Side Skate, they actually care. I am in no way affiliated with them and I carry around their business cards in my hockey bag. I see guys at the rink in skates that are obviously a poor fit and just hand out cards.

I wish there were more people like you and them, especially closer to my house or office.

I had to go into the city today from Long Island, and so I stopped by West Side Skate afterwards and these guys are great. They started me off by weaning down my hollow from 3/8" to 7/16" and evening out the toe shaving that I already had from the first sharpening on my One90s. I went over to Chelsea Piers to test it out and came back and tried to articulate my issues to them a little better. My feet are the right shape for the One90s, but my arches a little high for them, so my arches were getting fatigued and cramping from the lack of support, so they threw in some grey D Superfeet. I've also been back on my heels and needed the heel lifts, and my ankles are a bit thin and not filling out the boot completely and I was pronating a bit, so the holders will be realigned. After I pick up and test out all that, making sure I'm square in the boot and that my blades are then square to the ice, David told me we can start to work out whether I need to be profiled or not. But he spent a lot of time working all this out with me, and I'm very impressed with their knowledge and the way they actually engage you. I highly recommend these guys to anyone in the tri state area.

(I didn't know if this was worthy of a new thread so I just threw it where I got their name to begin with.)

It will vary from store to store, depending on what you want done and which company you go with. It's not a 'mark up', it's a fee.

It's an additional cost for having them customized. Some choose to double it and mark it up (and that's their choice) but I don't.

JR, what will be the total for custom XXXXs through you (if that's possible, of course)?

It will vary from store to store, depending on what you want done and which company you go with. It's not a 'mark up', it's a fee.

It's an additional cost for having them customized. Some choose to double it and mark it up (and that's their choice) but I don't.

JR, what will be the total for custom XXXXs through you (if that's possible, of course)?

You lost me at your avatar.

;)