Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjtt99

Blade Length

Hi folks. Did a search for this and after scrolling seven pages I feel I can ask my question:

I really like epuck.com's curve information section, it taught me a lot. What it doesn't cover are the pros and cons of a short vs. long blade.

I just got an Iggy curve Synergy and notice epuck says it has a short blade. What are the benefits?

Thanks,

JT

One benefit is that you will be less likely to catch a puck too much on the toe when shooting or passing causing you to flutter the puck too much. The down side is you have less blade to handle the puck and catch passes.

Personally, I've always preferred a shorter blade and found that I have a stronger slap shot with one as well as better stickhandling. It all depends on what you like, for the most part.

I have tried all sorts of lengths of blades, and it seems to ME that it is easier to stick handle with a shorter blade. (mainly toe drags and such) But that is just me, i'm sure people can stick handle just as good or even better with a long blade. As Hockeyman9621 stated, it's all about what you prefer.....try to go to your LHS and see which blade feels the best for you.

I prefer a longer blade for shooting slappers or snapper. I let the puck roll along the face of the blade and that seems to impart more spin than a shorter blade for me. With a shorter blade my shots tend to flutter a bit more. Longer blade fits my motion more, other than that it's all preference.

Good points. Thanks!

Thinking about it more, I can see how a short blade would help you control the puck for stick handling and probably give you better feel for dangles and deeks. Maybe for shooting the sweet spot is more focused as well. (Provided you can hit it.)

On the down side, I play centre so I think it would affect face-offs and ability to receive a pass as there is simply less surface area.

Chadd has a good point about more surface for the puck to roll for a nice tight spin, but I'm a lightweight so I'll never be a power shooter so I like the sounds of a quick release!

Now I'm curious to see how much difference there is. I'm guessing it's one or two centimetres tops. (That would be less than an inch for you Yanks.)

Cheers lads,

JT

I just went and looked at my p71(classified as a short blade) and it is really not that much shorter(1/4 inch) than my sakic..When your looking at it tho it looks really short.Anyways my point is your iginla may not be as short as you think it is?

Good points. Thanks!

Thinking about it more, I can see how a short blade would help you control the puck for stick handling and probably give you better feel for dangles and deeks. Maybe for shooting the sweet spot is more focused as well. (Provided you can hit it.)

On the down side, I play centre so I think it would affect face-offs and ability to receive a pass as there is simply less surface area.

Chadd has a good point about more surface for the puck to roll for a nice tight spin, but I'm a lightweight so I'll never be a power shooter so I like the sounds of a quick release!

Now I'm curious to see how much difference there is. I'm guessing it's one or two centimetres tops. (That would be less than an inch for you Yanks.)

Cheers lads,

JT

Food for thought: Adam Oates used one of the shortest blades imaginable and was one of the best passing centers in the game.

There might be some shot accuracy issues with a longer blade. Especially with wood blades, if you really rip a shot, then the blade will flex outward some as you make contact with the ice and the puck. The longer the blade, the more pronounced the flex will be. I don't know if it's enough to make your shot go really weird, but some long slappers from the point might act differently. I can't see this really happening with the new full composite blades, those are practically indestructible and very stiff, but all wood blades might do it.

Good points.  Thanks!

Thinking about it more, I can see how a short blade would help you control the puck for stick handling and probably give you better feel for dangles and deeks.  Maybe for shooting the sweet spot is more focused as well.  (Provided you can hit it.)

Now I'm curious to see how much difference there is.  I'm guessing it's one or two centimetres tops.  (That would be less than an inch for you Yanks.)

Cheers lads,

JT

Food for thought: Adam Oates used one of the shortest blades imaginable and was one of the best passing centers in the game.

If I'm not mistaken, Oates started to use his "short" blade in Anaheim...so not really all that long.

For those who don't know, SW skewed up his pattern and he sawed off a good portion of the blade and used that b/c he was in need of sticks. He ended up liking it.

june, not true at all. Its 100% pp although im sure long might be "better" than short in some respects and vice versa, its all up to the user.

I totally agree with cavs. The only main differences I find between both types of blades is shooting. Like Chadd said, the shorter blades for me also tend too give my snap shot more of a flutter while a reasonably longer blade will tend to give me a more straighter shot.

I was only referring to my personal experience, people should experiment and determine what works best for them. Using wood blades of course.

Good points.  Thanks!

Thinking about it more, I can see how a short blade would help you control the puck for stick handling and probably give you better feel for dangles and deeks.  Maybe for shooting the sweet spot is more focused as well.  (Provided you can hit it.)

Now I'm curious to see how much difference there is.  I'm guessing it's one or two centimetres tops.  (That would be less than an inch for you Yanks.)

Cheers lads,

JT

If I'm not mistaken, Oates started to use his "short" blade in Anaheim...so not really all that long.

For those who don't know, SW skewed up his pattern and he sawed off a good portion of the blade and used that b/c he was in need of sticks. He ended up liking it.

He was definitely using it in Boston. I think that was where he started doing it. You are correct, though. The reason he first started was because he received a batch that had something wrong with the toe so he cut the blades down and discovered he really liked it. I think the toes of the sticks had actually been damaged during shipping.

long blade big shot

short blade more finess

also easier saucers with long blade, harder rolling wristers

really not true at all. Look at Kovalev he's one of the best stickhandler (for me the best) in the game and he uses a really long blade...

I think it's PP...

Gotcha, I just thought it was more recent.

Yeah, you're right about the shipping damage.

Its amazing the amount of useless knowledge I have. The only reason I know it was definitely Boston was because I watched him here and was like how the hell does he play with that thing. Then I had seen an article somewhere about it.

long blade big shot

short blade more finess

also easier saucers with long blade, harder rolling wristers

really not true at all. Look at Kovalev he's one of the best stickhandler (for me the best) in the game and he uses a really long blade...

I think it's PP...

Gotta disagree, Samsonov is the best stickhandler. He also uses a long blade, btw.

Gotcha, I just thought it was more recent.

Yeah, you're right about the shipping damage.

Its amazing the amount of useless knowledge I have. The only reason I know it was definitely Boston was because I watched him here and was like how the hell does he play with that thing. Then I had seen an article somewhere about it.

LOL I hear ya on that...