Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juiced

Speeding behind speeders

yea cops def. hate having to do the paper work after tickets so they usually select a car thats gonna make their time worth while. not sure how many of you are from michigan but there is a stretch of a freeway I-696 that used to be known for the excessive speeding done on it we used to be able to do 85-90 in a 65 with no problem only because there were no cops and so many cars going that fast the cops had no chance to pull out into traffic to catch people... now recently they moved the speed limit to 70 and people still only do 85-90 and cops have started to patrol it alittle more but your rarely see people pulled over still mainly because i think there are rarely accidents on this freeway since traffic flows all as one at 80 or higher

You make it sound like we're entitled to speed so long as we keep your spedometer at or below some trivial number the general population has slapped on top of the legal speed limit. You're not necessarily "allowed" to go even one MPH over the limit; most cops just don't bust your balls over some small excess in speed. If a cop wanted to pull you over for doing 56 in a 55, he could do it...but it's usually not worth the time or effort. 30 means 30, 45 means 45, 55 means 55, etc. The law is the law - but most officers are nice enough to give us a little leeway. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

But the laws as they are do not reflect reality. In Ontario I'd suggest maybe 1/1000 drivers go less than the posted 100 km/h on the major highways. Every state I've been to is the same.

Jack up the speeding limits to 125, 130 km/h, whatever the number, and then just make it a major offense to exceed that by even a little bit. Sure you want to have a bit of leeway due to variations in radar guns, speedo's, that sort of thing. But say 5km/h over the limit and you are toast.

Doesn't that scenario make more sense than driving with the flow of traffic at 25-30 km/h over on the highways and knowing any cop can randomly pull any one of thousands of cars and give them a $300 ticket whenever they want?

^^ if you have a problem with going over the speed limit, and taking the chance to get caught.... dont speed. simple

Normally a 10mph cushion is given. Reason being that radar guns can be off AND the average speedometer is off 3-7 mph.

I do agree with you, I wouldn't be very inclined to pull over someone that's doing 5 mph over the speed limit on the highway for that exact reason

Is it worth it to a cop to put himself in an unpredictable situation for a mere $50 citation?

you have a VERY selective reading ability. clearly

It would help if people would stop contradicting themselves within posts.

"This is what I think and is why I disagree...............................but I agree."

It would help if people would stop contradicting themselves within posts.

"This is what I think and is why I disagree...............................but I agree."

I never disagreed with Chadd. I said "but its part of their job to enforce the law, even when they have to put their life in danger, right?" After saying that, i stated "I wouldn't be very inclined to pull..."

I was stating that a cop's job in general is to enforce the law. The second part of my post was stating MY personal take on a speeding motorist if I were a cop like Chadd was asking. Be sure to read my post fully. :)

^^ if you have a problem with going over the speed limit, and taking the chance to get caught.... dont speed. simple

But that's not realistic.

Are you really breaking the law if EVERYBODY else is also doing it? Laws should be a reflection of the society rather than a constraint upon it.

Are you really breaking the law if EVERYBODY else is also doing it? Laws should be a reflection of the society rather than a constraint upon it.

Yes, you are.

I dont think you can speak for everybody who drives.

Do you deny that over 99% of the population exceeds the speed limit on major highways?

And yes, chippa, you are breaking the law. However, the law is inadequate, that is my point.

Do you deny that over 99% of the population exceeds the speed limit on major highways?

And yes, chippa, you are breaking the law. However, the law is inadequate, that is my point.

The law stays for a few reasons; first because otherwise it would seem like old people are driving even slower and; second, because tickets are a big money maker for the state coffers; third, if they increased the speed limits then instead of people doing 70 in a 55 they will be doing 90 in a 75.

The law stays for a few reasons; first because otherwise it would seem like old people are driving even slower and; second, because tickets are a big money maker for the state coffers; third, if they increased the speed limits then instead of people doing 70 in a 55 they will be doing 90 in a 75.

If old people, or anyone else, can't keep up with the flow of traffic they shouldn't be driving. The current limits allow for people to maintain their licenses when the limits don't accurately reflect what is really happening on the roads. THAT is dangerous.

I agree, it is a money maker for the government; I just happen to have a problem with 'laws' that are supposedly made in our best interests but are really just a random tax on whomever the police decide to charge.

Your third argument is a common one, but it is an easy fix. Change the limit to 75, inform the public, and just increase the fines substantially for minor infractions, people will get the idea pretty quick.

If old people, or anyone else, can't keep up with the flow of traffic they shouldn't be driving. The current limits allow for people to maintain their licenses when the limits don't accurately reflect what is really happening on the roads. THAT is dangerous.

I agree, it is a money maker for the government; I just happen to have a problem with 'laws' that are supposedly made in our best interests but are really just a random tax on whomever the police decide to charge.

Your third argument is a common one, but it is an easy fix. Change the limit to 75, inform the public, and just increase the fines substantially for minor infractions, people will get the idea pretty quick.

Massachusetts tried stiffening the penalties for speeding about a decade or more ago and it did absolutely nothing to slow people down.

The other thing that you are missing with regards to speeding. The limits are a way of legislating morality, forcing people to drive at speeds which burn less fuel. Sometimes the government does things for the greater good that protect people from themselves.

you dont have to. The accuracy in certain situations is not decent enough to discern beyond a reasonable doubt that the object being clocked was you. With newer radar guns they may have gotten much better, but at one point it was a valid argument.

However, if you get tagged by lidar, you're fucked.

Speed limits are for safety, the problem is that the standard limits were set a long time ago, since then brakes have improved, handling has improved. Highway speed limits can certainly be higher and still remain safe.

"Burning less fuel" is just an excuse that the government uses to make you think that they are "on your side" with rising gas prices. A lot of revenue(that is needed) is gained from speeding tickets, it also would cost a lot to change speed limits... and with high speed limits it makes it much more difficult to catch speeders because instead of trying to catch someone going 65 in a 55, now they're trying to catch someone going 85 in a 75.

Not to mention that there is no real outcry for raised speed limits. Much more money and man power is going towards fighting drunk drivers and people that dont wear seat belts.

Do any of you guys know if there is any leeway on photo radars? I was driving down a 30 zone going maybe 33 by the look of my speedometer and a radar camera flashed but i wasn't sure if it was for me or the van next to me cause he was definetly going faster then me and closer to the camera. i was 4 lanes plus the center lane away and he was on the closer side. it could also have been for a car going on the same side as the camera but im not sure.

Any time they pull out to chase down a speeder, there is a chance of something bad happening to them. Unless someone is doing something flagrantly wrong, would you potentially risk your life to stop them?

But if someone's doing only 5 mph over the speed limit, there isn't much chance of the cop putting their life in danger. Not any more chance than driving to the store. Now if someone is doing 50 mph over the speed limit, there's a bigger chance of them putting their life (and the lives of others) in danger. The way I'm looking at it is kinda opposite of what you said.

It has nothing to do with the speed, anyone they pull over could be armed or psychotic and there isn't much they can do about it.

It's their job. Their trained to drive at retarded speeds, and when they get their badge, they realize they're putting they're lives on the line. If it's not them that deals with someone that's "armed or psychotic" at that time, than it will likely be someone else down the line. They have a job, they know what they're doing.

And whoever said $50 bucks for speeding, we get $164 here in NB and a nice little insurance booster.

Anybody else up for a Rodney King style riot? It's OK it we ALL do it! :D

Speed limits are for safety, the problem is that the standard limits were set a long time ago, since then brakes have improved, handling has improved. Highway speed limits can certainly be higher and still remain safe.

"Burning less fuel" is just an excuse that the government uses to make you think that they are "on your side" with rising gas prices. A lot of revenue(that is needed) is gained from speeding tickets, it also would cost a lot to change speed limits... and with high speed limits it makes it much more difficult to catch speeders because instead of trying to catch someone going 65 in a 55, now they're trying to catch someone going 85 in a 75.

Not to mention that there is no real outcry for raised speed limits. Much more money and man power is going towards fighting drunk drivers and people that dont wear seat belts.

Short version of this............

"Speed limits are outdated.......but necessary."

Burning less fuel isn't just about saving money but about protecting the planet.

Once upon a time this shit was about speeding and now we're all paralegals.

haha yeah no kidding right. As for the saving fuel, I drive a durango with a jacked up 5.9L v8 that gets about 12 miles to the gallon. I never learned that lesson about saving the planet. I figure I'm just contributing to the oil and gas industry more than most. Doing my part to help out.

Short version of this............

"Speed limits are outdated.......but necessary."

Burning less fuel isn't just about saving money but about protecting the planet.

Pretty much. Sometimes although you can change things, it isn't cost effective or smart to change them.

The whole burning less fuel thing has nothing to do with it. Yes, it saves you money. Yes, it saves the environment. But the government really doesnt care about that, there are plenty of other things they can do if it was a priority. For example, emission laws in florida. You USED to have to go every year and have your car's emissions checked, you dont have to now. And you see plenty of cars that would have never passed the check driving around. They can get pulled over for smoke or if "the officer thinks they are breaking the emissions law" but I've seen maybe 2 in the past 8 years. One of them was a truck driver that was on the interstate, his truck was soo bad that visability was completely lost anywhere near him. The cop pulled him over, talked to him and let him go.

radar camera flashed but i wasn't sure if it was for me or the van next to me cause he was definetly going faster then me and closer to the camera. i was 4 lanes plus the center lane away and he was on the closer side. it could also have been for a car going on the same side as the camera but im not sure.

Does anybody know how the camera knows who was the car speeding when there's multiple cars going through the intersection. And is there any truth to the theory that if you're going double the speed limit that the camera will still take your picture but the speed will show up as 0km/h. I've also heard a theory where it doesnt even take your picture.