Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolarWind

"proper" fit - loose, snug etc?

Ok - since there's been so much talk about fit & how it's THE most important part of skate selection I'd like to know if there's such thing as "proper" fit...

I understand volume & pencil test, but what I don't understand is how somebody with size 12 shoes could wear size 9 XXXX? (forgot the link)

So what is supposed to happen with the toes - are they supposed to be relaxed & brush against the toes cup or should they be bent & squeezed into it or what?

Also does "SPEED WRAP TOE CAP" make any difference in sizing? Is it only available in XXXX or XXV as well?

Is sizing between XXV & XXXX the same?

The reason I ask is because LHS didn't have XXXX in size 9D, I tried XXV in size 9D & it was quite tight (currently I wear 9.5R 1500C, 10.5 shoe size)

Thanks!

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...x++size++shoes#

I wear size 11 shoe size 8.5 or 9 skate depending on the brand.

Speed wrap toe cap is the way its made i believe so and has nothing to do with the fit.

You want your toes to brush and to be able to feel the toe caps, not squeshed in.

The addition of the speed wrap toe cap is just a nifty way of saying they changed the design of the toecap.

It's wider, so more people's feet actually fit properly in the toecap, instead of having to size up 1/2 to 1 full size to get the skates to fit. It also allows more people to fit into the skate in general, as the forefoot is slightly wider than previous versions of vapors.

The same toecap is also on the supreme skates.

Consensus would have your toes barely brushing the toecap in a properly fitted skate, but there is surely some PP involved. Smaller skates will cause a lot of pressure on the foot, whereas bigger skates will lose performance due to inefficient energy transfer.

Some people like the skates tighter on your toes. I wear 13 in running shoes and a 10.5 skate. If I could find them more readily, I'd wear 12.5 in running shoes. So that's 2 sizes down for me.

I wear an 11 shoe and a 9.5 skate, and I have no idea how guys go smaller than that - my toes slightly touch the toecaps in my 9.5 skates, and I've tried on skates in a 9 and not even really been able to get my foot in them.

The addition of the speed wrap toe cap is just a nifty way of saying they changed the design of the toecap.

Bauer claims it makes you quicker. *shrug*

SPEED WRAP TOE CAP: Constructed from a high-impact polymer named Orgaloy, the Speed Wrap Toe Cap is built for bursts of speed. The anatomical shape and lower profile construction offer a seamless integration with your foot, plus they allow for added control through tight maneuvers.

I personally think that a well-fitted skate does not need to be tightened dramatically to fit your foot.

My XIX's were 8D, too narrow, but too long. My heel wouldn't lock in place, the foot would roll around, so I'd clamp down on the laces. That meant that I got terrible cramps. My XXV's are 7.5EE, and I've had shifts where the laces came completely untied, and I can still skate pretty well. I don't crank down when tightening the skates anymore, just tight enough to stay tied. Zero problems, much more comfortable, and much better for my skating.

So "snug" would be my vote. It fits your foot shape to the point that you don't need to have any crazy lacing scheme, or special inserts, or air pumps.

yeah you shouldnt have to tighten your skates very much at all if they fit good. Infact i hardly tie up my tacks. i run the laces through the eyelets with hardly any pressure going to the boot and then tie the knot so the laces arent all over the place.

To me a loose fit suits me more because i get more free movements during crossovers if you know what i mean..and a better knee bend with less problems getting pain :). Tightning snugly restricts me from knee bending as good but, more support. Therefore my pp is to go with a tieing them looser

Here is a great starting point for proper skate fitting:

http://www.epinions.com/content_3832651908

Reinforces my position about him.

Nonetheless, I often buy my skates online, but never without finding them in a shop to try them on first.

Back on topic;

The skates should be snug but not painful and always try on a smaller size than you think is the perfect fit. The smaller size will fit more often than you would believe.

Don't mistake pressure on the side of your foot/toe for the skate being too short. A lot of people could go down a half size or more by simply going with a wider width.

Don't pay attention to the size for anything other than a reference for trying on the next pair. Those numbers don't mean anything, only the fit matters.

Don't get hung up on buying one brand or another, buy what fits your foot.

To me a loose fit suits me more because i get more free movements during crossovers if you know what i mean..and a better knee bend with less problems getting pain :). Tightning snugly restricts me from knee bending as good but, more support. Therefore my pp is to go with a tieing them looser

I think what you really should do is find a skate with a low cut, not so stiff boot. Your skate should be tied to the point that it moves as one with your foot. Tying a skate loose will allow slippage and hinder power transfer.

When I'm fitting someone at the shops I work at the first thing that pops into my mind in a correct sizing is the heel. If the heel is all the way in the heel cup and your akilies tendon is securly in the channel you should be able to stand up with your toes lightly grazing the front of the boot without the skates tied tight. Usually the propper way to tie your skates (i know it sonds kinda dumb the way that's worded) is every few eyelets you tighten (assuming your tightening from the toe all the way up the ankle), you should knock your foot down by lightly picking up your foot and banging it into the ground. this should be done a number of times to ensure the foot has been securly and propperly placed in the heel of te skate, then tightening up the skates a few more eyelets and repeating until you reach the top of the boot. The reason for this is without that main establishment of sercurity for control, it would add more difficulty to control the skate when trying to use the skate in higher levels of compicity. As far as having your skates tighter in the toe area... this usualy comes with testing out which skates feel the best. Paul Coffey, also, used to use the skates that were 3 sizes too small, but he could take that kind of pressure on the foot. Personally I would rather have just my toes grazng the toe of the skate. It also depends on the type of sock you wear. I personally do not wear socks at all.

I wear an 11 shoe and a 9.5 skate, and I have no idea how guys go smaller than that - my toes slightly touch the toecaps in my 9.5 skates, and I've tried on skates in a 9 and not even really been able to get my foot in them.

Me too! Well, I wear a 10.5 shoe most of the time with a 9.5 skate, CCM, 10EE Mission. I see guys wearing a 9.5 shoe and a 6.5 skate and I am MIFFED as to how that fits.

well - I'm usually between 10.5 & 11 in shoes, normally I was in 9.5 skates, but for a change I decided to go with size 9 XXXX - the fit was pretty snug (in one spot only - just my big toe on the left foot was pushing agains the toecup), but hopefully after baking & few skates the heel would settle back a bit & I'll be fine - otherwise I'll be selling the skates as quick as I bough them :)

also contemplating going barefeet for a change as well - not sure if it's a good idea but I hear it enhances the feel?

The padding in the heel might give a little for you. It did for me. Depending on how deep your foot fits in the heel pocket the foam will break in a bit and let your foot slide back. It's not much, but you probably dont need much.

For me, if my skates are loose and I get a wobbly feeling I just can't skate right because the connection from what my feet are doing to what my skates are doing just isn't there.

an NHLer once told me the tighter your skates are the tighter you play...I just like them tight enough so that I feel my skates are an extension of my feet, that's all...I don't like to cut off the circulation.

I think what you really should do is find a skate with a low cut, not so stiff boot. Your skate should be tied to the point that it moves as one with your foot. Tying a skate loose will allow slippage and hinder power transfer.

Its true what they say..once you wear graf's you will always wear it:p.. Its just because before my recent pair were graf's 502 and I love them but I grew out of them:(.. I got vapor shifts and absolutely hated it because I can hardly bend my knees but I have gotten use to it and I rely on my parents money and I need to get a job on the summer so I can save up and get another pair of grafs.. I hear about everything bad about graf's but if they fit who cares graf's are the only skate that fits me best honestly..

worst-case scenario, if your heel doesn't sit back further/enough, you could have the toecap stretched a smidge.

I didn't know stretching plastic toecaps was possible? How?

My LHS says punching only works on the boot itself - not the plastic?

I'm not 100% sure of how the toecap of the XXXXs will respond to stretching/widening, but it can be done. A different tool is used to stretch a toecap than is used for punching the boot.

I think part of the reason I went down 2 - 2.5 sizes is because I have wide feet and narrow ankles, and it's difficult to find shoes that fit. Oftentimes I end up with shoes that are too big but they don't squeeze my toes. And I think that's why my dress shoes and running shoes are smaller sizes than street shoes, because you can find them in wider sizes.