Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

A teammate of mine gave me a lightly-used set of E-Pro Step steel from his old pair of CCM Externos. When I tried to put them on my U+12 E-Pro's, the hardware wouldn't fit through the holes in the steel. I tried replacement hardware and it was still too big for the Step steel. Any suggestions?

That's odd, how did he fit them in his Eholder? CCM only made/makes one size hardware for that holder. Still, take them to someone with a drill press and slightly enlarge the holes in the steel.

Is Step better than the Easton Elite runners?

I was on Noicing's website yesterday, and it seems that the Step is actually cheaper than the Elite runners.

I'm considering getting a spare set of runners, so I can always have a sharp pair, but am a bit concerned there will be a big difference between the 2.

My skates are brand new Easton RS's, with only 1 sharpen on them so far(Pure Hockey/Braintree Ma.- when I bought them), I have no idea if that store/guy that sharpened them is any good or not, or what the profile is, and I'd rather just send my spare set up to jimmys shop so I know they are done correctly, and will be consistent.

I also never had a radius done before, and I see I have to get one to buy steel there....problem is I took 34 years off from skating, and just started skating again 1.5 months ago....I haven't played any hockey yet, so I'm not even sure how to accurately fill out the questionnaire that they sent me....yep, feeling like a noob!

Is Step better than the Easton Elite runners?

I was on Noicing's website yesterday, and it seems that the Step is actually cheaper than the Elite runners.

I'm considering getting a spare set of runners, so I can always have a sharp pair, but am a bit concerned there will be a big difference between the 2.

My skates are brand new Easton RS's, with only 1 sharpen on them so far(Pure Hockey/Braintree Ma.- when I bought them), I have no idea if that store/guy that sharpened them is any good or not, or what the profile is, and I'd rather just send my spare set up to jimmys shop so I know they are done correctly, and will be consistent.

I also never had a radius done before, and I see I have to get one to buy steel there....problem is I took 34 years off from skating, and just started skating again 1.5 months ago....I haven't played any hockey yet, so I'm not even sure how to accurately fill out the questionnaire that they sent me....yep, feeling like a noob!

The quality of the Elite steel is pretty good. I wouldn't say Step is better quality, but Steps are solid and 10% more height. Some people like that, others prefer the lighter Elite runners. If you rotate two different brands of steel, if the radius is the same and you rotate often (not stay on one pair too long), you won't really notice a difference. If you stay on one pair a long time, your body mechanics will adjust to that set, so rotating to a different set could feel different. Best to rotate between the 2 every 6 outings or so.

Just wanted to say how impressed I am with these blades after about 6 months. I've been on the ice 1-2 times a week in those 6 months and have only felt the need to get them sharpened once (after the original sharpen).

Ok switched out fusion to step velocity wow what a difference. Taller steel felt good with tighter turns and edge control was awesome. Hope its not just in my head lol

Not in your head. I just hopped on the ice today during the noon skate at the rink beside my office on brand new V-Steel with FBV and a custom radius I picked up from NoIcing - like nothing I've ever experienced. Crazy tight turns. Amazing edge control. I'm hooked.

hopefully, this is the right place to ask this. Looking for a replacement steel for Reebok 5ks (size 2) for my son. Should be easy to replace as DIY or should I just go to a local hockey store to get it done?

hopefully, this is the right place to ask this. Looking for a replacement steel for Reebok 5ks (size 2) for my son. Should be easy to replace as DIY or should I just go to a local hockey store to get it done?

As long as they have the E-Pro holders, should be a matter of replacing two screws and that's it

All of us retailers should carry them. Should be a size 221 runner. Look for CCM Reebok Performance Stainless Steel Runners

Thanks, JoshV. If I measure the runner from tip to tip it's more like 240mm. Are the runners measured differently, like, between mounting points? I am going to call around and find out exactly.

UPDATE: Found the runner: CCM Proformance profile junior runner, 221mm. Now just need to find the best price...

Edited by bagsbie

Flip the skate upside-down, near the toe on the inside edge side, there should be a 3 digit number stamped in the holder (Will be same color as holder). This is the size runner you need

Just wanted to say how impressed I am with these blades after about 6 months. I've been on the ice 1-2 times a week in those 6 months and have only felt the need to get them sharpened once (after the original sharpen).

3 months later.. decided to get em sharpened although I don't really think they needed to be. So crazy how well these things hold an edge.

I tried to replace the original runners in Easton Mako for step steel runners. It seems like the step steel runners are bit wider than original because I wasn't able to push the runner all the way down. Should I apply more force to push it down? I don't want to break the holder. I have to return the skates for an exchange due to misaligned holder.

Hello im ready to pick up a pair of step steel again but just some questions.

What are the differentials of Velocity vs Regular Step?

And Black Velocity Steel vs Regular Black step steel?

And finnaly Blackedge vs Black step?

And if I would pick up black steel is there something you should do differently when honing?

I don't like the heels on them... way too chunky! I like to use the heel of the runner and find the heel area on stock steel way better... I felt all over the place on them until I had noicing sports do a combo radius on them with a neutral pitch, which I love! I did have the heel shaved down on them,which did make it a bit better, but when I eventually send them to have them profiled again, I'm going to have the heel shaved down even more.

The extra height of the steel with the extra height of the +4.0 holder is a little much, but used to it now, but still think the height of the steel could of been a little less for the CCM holder. But the quality of the steel is great and sticking with it from now on.

just picked up a pair of the black step for the mako. they're not any bigger than the mako steel height wise.

I have a problem with them though,...and i don;t know what it is or what to do. when I was skating on them I had problems stopping cleanly. it had a choppy stop all over the ice. are the skates sharpened too much?

this step steel also attracts snow like a magnet ..reason?

Edited by ulf

just picked up a pair of the black step for the mako. they're not any bigger than the mako steel height wise.

I have a problem with them though,...and i don;t know what it is or what to do. when I was skating on them I had problems stopping cleanly. it had a choppy stop all over the ice. are the skates sharpened too much?

this step steel also attracts snow like a magnet ..reason?

I would think it's 2 possible reasons, the edge is sharper / deeper than you had on the stock blades or the profile is different. You can check the latter by comparing them side by side, if you are getting chatter in stopping on a blade swap and the edge is similar it's normally because a different profile is putting more heel (ergo more steel) on the ice as you stop.

and yes, I agree about the snow, mine always seem to be covered in ice but I'll happily take that over the stock steel that came with my grafs.

I would think it's 2 possible reasons, the edge is sharper / deeper than you had on the stock blades or the profile is different. You can check the latter by comparing them side by side, if you are getting chatter in stopping on a blade swap and the edge is similar it's normally because a different profile is putting more heel (ergo more steel) on the ice as you stop.

and yes, I agree about the snow, mine always seem to be covered in ice but I'll happily take that over the stock steel that came with my grafs.

ty..i compared the step to the mako steel and the height actually favors the mako.

but the mako's radius is shorter moving to the back (around <1/8"), which hopefully is causing it like you say.

I just didn't like how different the shape was with the black step for the Mako.

I wonder how much taller regular step is for bauer goalie skates compared to the stock steel, anyone know?

I just didn't like how different the shape was with the black step for the Mako.

you had problems with the the black step on your makos?

you had problems with the the black step on your makos?

I never actually tried them on the ice. I have two sets of steel I rotate through so I always have a fresh set, and when I got the black step and saw how DRASTICALLY different the shape is, it didn't make sense to rotate between those and stock steel. If I had bought two pairs of black step it may have been a different story. I assumed incorrectly when I ordered them that they would be the same shape as the stock steel, just a bit taller.

There's more to the story too: the runners were stamped by the manufacturer with the wrong size, so I never even tried them in my holders before sending them back - I had no reason to believe they were the correct size despite the size stamped on them. The vendor said they had never ever seen steel stamped with the wrong size so they never check the number stamped on them and they just go by the box/packaging. So it was basically... well I have to send them back anyway, so I'll just take a refund instead of an exchange because I don't like the shape anyway. But that bit is irrelevant to the question, I just figured I'd mention it because it added to my frustration with my attempt at trying black step.