Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I currently have Step Blacksteel and I am an experienced sharpener. I would say that all Step steel needs honing. The Blacksteel not much. Velocity definitely does. For Velo and Black I use a fine grit DMT diamond stone on a slight angle followed by a leather strop attached to a wooden block to prevent ruining the finish.

I currently have Step Blacksteel and I am an experienced sharpener. I would say that all Step steel needs honing. The Blacksteel not much. Velocity definitely does. For Velo and Black I use a fine grit DMT diamond stone on a slight angle followed by a leather strop attached to a wooden block to prevent ruining the finish.

Where do u sharpen skates? might just have to make a visit.

Just got new Step Steel and want to know If I should have them profiled or not. For people who have skated on them, do most keep them stock or get them profiled? Per JR and I think one other post I read, Step Steel were designed to be profiled. So is it not a good idea to keep them stock?

Also I'd like to get some clarification on the stock profile/radius as there have been contradictions all throughout this thread. Some saying Radius is 9', some say 10, 13' etc. See the below quotes. ACE22QC supposedly works for STEP and posted that it is 10'. Does anyone know if this is true? And is the pitch slightly forward or not?

tyson_two = when there is a number put on a "radius," it is to name the working radius of the blade.
It is a 9' working radius. As you said in your post, it was designed to be profiled, so that is why there is more material on the heel and toe. But the radius of the blade is the same. If you want to match the heel and toe radii of your stock blade, that would have to be done manua

Step is a 13' profile, from what I understand.

Stock Profile on Step Steel is 9-10É or did you have them profiled

Hello, I work with Step Skates.
All STEP models have a 10 foot radius

Edited by Mikej411

Does the Step Blacksteel come with the black finish on the bottom of the blade? I'm trying to determine if a set is new. Looks like the finish was removed, but they don't appear to have been sharpened or flat ground.

Does the Step Blacksteel come with the black finish on the bottom of the blade? I'm trying to determine if a set is new. Looks like the finish was removed, but they don't appear to have been sharpened or flat ground.

blacksteel does NOT have the coating on the bottom when new, only Blackedge has that.

My friend has 11k's size 7D and the holder says 271, but on the HM sizing chart it says 271 for that size, and there's a 272 on some descriptions.

"Step Steel ST Pro Runners for EBlade Pro & Prolite Plastic Holder" has steel listed at 8(272). These should still fit 271's right?

Also, since they are made in Canada, will I not get charged duty if I ship to Canada?

Edited by t6lock
  • Like 1

Jimmy

noicing have cag one profiler? How i can order cag one profile 35/65 online?

I sent you a message.

My friend has 11k's size 7D and the holder says 271, but on the HM sizing chart it says 271 for that size, and there's a 272 on some descriptions.

"Step Steel ST Pro Runners for EBlade Pro & Prolite Plastic Holder" has steel listed at 8(272). These should still fit 271's right?

Also, since they are made in Canada, will I not get charged duty if I ship to Canada?

Step lists their CCM steel as 272 but it fits just like the 271's. They are same sizing. Hint, never use online sizing guides, they are often wrong. Get the actual size off your actual skate holder.

Edited by jimmy

No duty if you import a Canadian made item back into Canada but you may still be on the hook for the sales taxes.

The Step Steel for my sons U+12 skates was listed as a mm difference in one direction or the other for his size skate compared to the holder. I forget which, think it was smaller. Fit perfect, not sure why they do that.

Just got new Step Steel and want to know If I should have them profiled or not. For people who have skated on them, do most keep them stock or get them profiled? Per JR and I think one other post I read, Step Steel were designed to be profiled. So is it not a good idea to keep them stock?

Also I'd like to get some clarification on the stock profile/radius as there have been contradictions all throughout this thread. Some saying Radius is 9', some say 10, 13' etc. See the below quotes. ACE22QC supposedly works for STEP and posted that it is 10'. Does anyone know if this is true? And is the pitch slightly forward or not?

From a Step CSR:

Our radius is a neutral 10 foot.

I just got my first pair of step steel, is it ok that they are both labeled L ?

As with all steel, all manufacturers, there is no difference between left and right runners other than the labeling and writing on the sides. They are identical. Sounds like they just pulled 2 lefts out of the box, no big deal. For years CCM/RBK sold their steel by right and left. When I went to order them, they would have 500 rights in stock, but no lefts, backordered for months. No big deal, we just ordered all rights so at least we'd have enough to cover our customer's needs. Enjoy your steel, it is likely better than your stock steel.

Where do u sharpen skates? might just have to make a visit.

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on here in a while. I work at Ultimate Edge Sports at Canlan Ice Sports North Shore and Burnaby Winter Club.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on here in a while. I work at Ultimate Edge Sports at Canlan Ice Sports North Shore and Burnaby Winter Club.

You guys do a fantastic job, I am there (3rinks) often just to get my skates done.

Has anyone had to knock down their hollow a notch because of the Step steel? I can't tell if it's the change from LS2 steel or inconsistent sharpening from the people at Hockey Experts, but I'm definitely getting a lot more bite than I'm comfortable with.

The profile is slightly different between step and LS2 so I'd say the change is having the biggest impact for you.

This. I felt that I had too much bite and couldn't turn when I first tried Step. A profile to approximate the steel that I was coming off of fixed that problem and I kept my preferred hollow.

I have step velocity steel but they've been badly scratched, sometimes in desperation mode I have some inexperienced sharpeners (Burnaby 8 rinks) work on my skates. Would the scratches on the mirrored finish be a result of honing? Does this still happen even if you use the fine grit DMT diamond stone? How do these scratches affect the runners performance?

Cheers

8B222A21-1555-4FA6-BAF0-327077C7513C_zps

46A37868-7846-4D24-8DD9-6459D111007B_zps

Amiroo,

Yes the scratches do affect the performance a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. In future, the red or green (fine) DMT stones would be best. I hone edges on a slight angle to do the stone never really touches the side of the blade except where you want it to.

Haven't seen an answer to this yet so will ask again.......

What happened to Step making a Fusion type set of runner's for LS 2's?

Edited by All Flash