Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JamesCL

ECHL FREE AGENT TRYOUTS

I played ontario juniors, and i stopped years ago, think im too old at 25 to attend this camp, and am wasting my time, to get noticed, and possibly play well enough to move up to the AHL?

No way dude. You could probably make it into the ECHL... WHo knows if you'll move up... depends on work ethic.. I got offered a tryout for the Charlotte Checkers of the ECHL last year (At 20 years old) and the hockey is still pretty competitive.

Never pass up an oppurtinity to do something you love.

Worst thing happens is you come out of there knowing how you match up with some good players.

I know of some guys who went to these tryouts, didn't make it right out of the gate (actually got cut at the main camp), but they ended up in other leagues and got called up to the Coast league a few times. One kid was 27 years old, so I don't think you're too old. Just keep in mind when guys with contracts get sent down it does become a numbers game, but what the hell, give it a shot.

You got nothing to lose. And it's not like it will be a life-altering decision if you get cut. Anyone that think the Coast league is weak hockey are vastly misunderstood. I got quite a few buddies that played or played in that league and that majority tell me the bigget problem is this. All the teams are sponsored by a higher affiliation with AHL and NHL teams. So a lot of guys get caught up and tossed because they have to take care of guys with two and three-way contracts first. My buddy plays on a team where there is a former first round pick (12th overall) from 05 on the team. He tells me the kid is washed up, but he's still under contract so they load with him with ice. Taking it away from better players. But pro hockey is a business, and that's the name of the game. Hell, if you're in good game shape, go out for a skate. What the hell right. At least you can say you did it. Good bar talk anyway. Where are these tryouts at anyway?

At least its a way to do it for the "olympic thought" - At least youve taken part in a camp. You dont wanna hear youself in x-years whining that you should have taken part when you had the chance. Go for it and tell us how you end up.

You got nothing to lose. And it's not like it will be a life-altering decision if you get cut. Anyone that think the Coast league is weak hockey are vastly misunderstood. I got quite a few buddies that played or played in that league and that majority tell me the bigget problem is this. All the teams are sponsored by a higher affiliation with AHL and NHL teams. So a lot of guys get caught up and tossed because they have to take care of guys with two and three-way contracts first. My buddy plays on a team where there is a former first round pick (12th overall) from 05 on the team. He tells me the kid is washed up, but he's still under contract so they load with him with ice. Taking it away from better players. But pro hockey is a business, and that's the name of the game. Hell, if you're in good game shape, go out for a skate. What the hell right. At least you can say you did it. Good bar talk anyway. Where are these tryouts at anyway?

I didn't know Jagr hung out with the plebs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=76907

Marc Staal

Selected by New York Rangers round 1 #12 overall 2005 NHL Entry Draft

If you don't go you'll wonder 'what if' the rest of your life. Give it a go. Maybe we'll be talking about you like David Perron in a couple years. (or not, lol)

Buddy I played lacrosse with at university let several opportunities like that slip by. Recruited for the Canadian Junior Lacrosse team, dad wouldn't pay to send him out west. Had offers from the MILL league, was wrapped up in a teaching career and didn't want to jepordize chances for advancement with stitches and black eyes. Now pushing 40 and no longer seeking advancement, every year or two when we get together and drink beer he sits around and whatifs. Age catches up with you fast after 30.

yeah man The Charlotte Checkers used to be stacked and 2/3 of their guys got called to the AHL and IHL and now the Checkers suck. depending on your skill level you could make it. I say it's worth it. It was only 100$ for the Charlotte Camp. so you're not dropping a lot of dough either.

If I was good enough to go to a pro tryout without risk of seriously embarrassing/hurting myself, I would. I suggest going for it.

I didn't know Jagr hung out with the plebs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=76907

Marc Staal

Selected by New York Rangers round 1 #12 overall 2005 NHL Entry Draft

12th from 04, I'll bet, AJ Thelen, Texas Wildcatters.

exactly right. my bad. Good player but never lived up to the expectations.

Hey guys I appreciate the replies, and am now motivated just to give it a shot, see how i match up with these guys, in my head i can play that level of hockey, and i know one day ill regret not being able to say i tried,....so come this august ill be taking a road trip to Ohio!

Thanks guys..

one other problem im trying to become a cop, so if i were to make the team, im not sure if id be able to play, depending on if police training starts, id have to make the career decision over the hockey...but ill def attend the camp and see how it goes!

Hey guys I appreciate the replies, and am now motivated just to give it a shot, see how i match up with these guys, in my head i can play that level of hockey, and i know one day ill regret not being able to say i tried,....so come this august ill be taking a road trip to Ohio!

Thanks guys..

one other problem im trying to become a cop, so if i were to make the team, im not sure if id be able to play, depending on if police training starts, id have to make the career decision over the hockey...but ill def attend the camp and see how it goes!

You can always do the police academy next year or the year after, can't you?

Good Luck....

Remember this as Chadd stated, you can take Police Academy anytime, but an oppourtunity like this might not happen again!

Thanks guys..

You can always do the police academy next year or the year after, can't you?

Well I'll be 26 in May, I'm concerned if i wait to long to get onto the police department, ill have a lesser shot of getting on, they hire young, a friend of mine just got on hes only 21...

Thanks for the reply, they're in Ohio in August..