Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JamesCL

ECHL FREE AGENT TRYOUTS

Any former minor leaguers around your area? See how you stack up with them I would say. Also, start conditioning and training in the mean time, might as well give yourself your best chance right?

Zach

Any former minor leaguers around your area? See how you stack up with them I would say. Also, start conditioning and training in the mean time, might as well give yourself your best chance right?

Zach

well i play against guys who have played junior, ncaa, some kids who are currently in the ohl, just in pickups, and i feel im stronger then most, i always stand out so thats gotta say something about my talent lol..

as for training, yeah ive already began, my diet is clean, im not drinking at all on weekends, and im on the ice atleast 4 times a week and in the gym 5.

did you end up playing anywhere?

no... pretty much random drop ins... my dumb ass took a puck to the eye before the ECHL tryouts and didn't go there bc I couldn't see out of my left eye for 2 weeks. Then I came home skated with UMD for all those weeks in the summer, Went to the first day of tryouts and just couldn't cut balancing my classes with the team. I may try out again this year, I may not... I don't know if I'm even good enough. Are you from around the area?

as for training, yeah ive already began, my diet is clean, im not drinking at all on weekends, and im on the ice atleast 4 times a week and in the gym 5.

I wish that I could do that much training and not die. I'm playing at least 4 times a week like you and if I tried to go to the gym, my limbs would up and run away from my body.

Best of luck though. Would love to see you have some success with this.

I wish that I could do that much training and not die. I'm playing at least 4 times a week like you and if I tried to go to the gym, my limbs would up and run away from my body.

Best of luck though. Would love to see you have some success with this.

Thanks man, im sure ill bump this thread come August and let you guys know what happened...as for the training, u just gotta motivate yourself to go...after awhile your body adapts.

AJ Thelen is not washed up, he is only 21yrs old, played with Vancouver last season and Won a Memorial Cup. Sasha Pokulok also played for canada at with world JR's in Vancouver and won a gold medal. Both these guys are decent players

AJ Thelen is not washed up, he is only 21yrs old, played with Vancouver last season and Won a Memorial Cup. Sasha Pokulok also played for canada at with world JR's in Vancouver and won a gold medal. Both these guys are decent players

Unfortunately for Thelen, he is not on an NHL contract and is a free agent in terms of his NHL rights. Pokulok is on an NHL deal which makes a big difference.

So I was talking to a friend last night telling him about these try-outs, i guess he called a guy "Adam Keefe" from the AHL and asked him the chances of a virtual unknown walk-on tryout making the ECHL, he said "0% unless your a ufc fighter on ice.", Ah well, ill still give it a go, lol

Best of luck on the try out. My only caution is to be realistic with yourself. Have a good friend who I played college football with, neither of us were drafted by an NFL club which was no surprise to me. For him, it's been almost 6 years of working low end jobs so he can play semi-pro ball and hit the gym all the time. He's almost made a couple of arena football teams, but I just don't think he's ever going to have what it takes to play in the NFL. The passing years aren't doing him any favors either. So I guess end of the day, take your shot, but don't stall your life out waiting for something that's never going to happen either.

Best of luck on the try out. My only caution is to be realistic with yourself. Have a good friend who I played college football with, neither of us were drafted by an NFL club which was no surprise to me. For him, it's been almost 6 years of working low end jobs so he can play semi-pro ball and hit the gym all the time. He's almost made a couple of arena football teams, but I just don't think he's ever going to have what it takes to play in the NFL. The passing years aren't doing him any favors either. So I guess end of the day, take your shot, but don't stall your life out waiting for something that's never going to happen either.

Thanks man, but i just came across it, i believe i was good enough to be at this level if i continued to play, who knows, but i ended my career prematurely after JR.A, I decided to give it a shot since ive started playing, if I get cut, thats it, just for fun and beer leagues, and on with my career.

Well I decided to attend another camp in the ECHL, for the Wheeling nailers....August 8th, 4 tryout contracts being offered.

do you think sherwood 5030 classic shoulders will be enough, or should i go out and get something more bulky.

If the ECHL doesn't pan out you could try the SPHL. A kid I work with just signed with Tri city out of highschool.(He played a couple games in the Q so college hockey was not an option). I think you get a couple hundred a week, an apartment, and maybe even a car. Not a bad gig if your young and single.

I'm sure you can, and remember the moneys only coming in from the team during the time you play. I think when the seasons over your out of the apartment, and you give the car back. I'm just guessing but I couldn't see them paying your rent while your not playing..

If the ECHL doesn't pan out you could try the SPHL. A kid I work with just signed with Tri city out of highschool.(He played a couple games in the Q so college hockey was not an option). I think you get a couple hundred a week, an apartment, and maybe even a car. Not a bad gig if your young and single.

You're not getting a car in the SPHL. Hell, half the time you're worried if the check's gonna clear.

not sure what they are offering, but its supposed to be a league for northeastern people who don't want to travel down to the SPHL. Not very familiar with it, just what I've heard. www.ephl.com