Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LkptTiger

Tax Rebate Checks

After an all-nighter spent writing a 15-page paper on the morality of murder in Shakespeare's Hamlet and Macbeth, I needed a laugh. Thanks, mack.

I won't get mine until late June. :frown:

I'll probably buy the rest of the hockey gear I need - gloves and pants. The rest will go towards the usual - food, gas, skating/sticknpuck fees, beer.

I just got mine, and half has been spent paying off the Visa...other half will be paying next two months rent...woo hoo!

my federal was supposed to be here friday, but it didnt show so im assuming ill get it today. i owe $500 to the lady for our new puppy, then im paying off $2000 of my credit card bills, and prob saving the majority of the last $3500 since im unemployed right now, itll let me live for a few months.

The "rebate" checks aren't, just something to keep in mind.

::m

What's that supposed to mean, IRS guru?

Oddly enough, mine will go to paying this year's taxes!

paying off debt or partially paying for a summer vacation trip. i should just put it into savings, that would probably be the best thing for most of the population to do.

the best analogy i heard about these checks for "fixing" the recession was, trying to fill a pool by taking water from the deep end to the shallow end.

the best analogy i heard about these checks for "fixing" the recession was, trying to fill a pool by taking water from the deep end to the shallow end.

:lol: :angry: :(

But it's so true. They're paying you back with your money and charging you interest for it. Nice, eh?

What I love is that the avg. family gets back $600 while fat cats on wall street get to keep their mult-million dollar bonuses while getting bailed out with tax payer money to the tune of billions.

The "rebate" checks aren't, just something to keep in mind.

::m

What's that supposed to mean, IRS guru?

Oddly enough, mine will go to paying this year's taxes!

It means they aren't really a rebate of any kind, I suppose if anything it's a rebate for filing your taxes, which you kind of need to do anyway.

It means they aren't really a rebate of any kind, I suppose if anything it's a rebate for filing your taxes, which you kind of need to do anyway.

So how is a rebate not a rebate? You're getting money back, you're not paying tax on that money, and it's not an advance on next year's return. I guess that concept is a little too difficult for people to handle.

They're on their way. Just curious: what are you buying?

I don't qualify, so I'll live vicariously through you guys.

Back on topic:

Replacing the deck behind the house and leveling off a small part of the yard. If anyone wants to pull a weekend of hard labor let me know.

So how is a rebate not a rebate? You're getting money back, you're not paying tax on that money, and it's not an advance on next year's return. I guess that concept is a little too difficult for people to handle.

Because the gov't is borrowing the money to pay you the "rebate". When the gov't borrows from the Fed you have to pay it back with interest via your federal income tax.

i should just put it into savings, that would probably be the best thing for most of the population to do.

It would be good for you individually, but the reason we receive tax returns is to put money in the hands of consumers to spend and stimulate the economy, which I think our country is in dire need of.

Because the gov't is borrowing the money to pay you the "rebate". When the gov't borrows from the Fed you have to pay it back with interest via your federal income tax.

ding ding ding, we have a winner. There's nothing truly free when it comes to money and taxes. Just know that we're helping support the Chinese (I believe) economy with these stimulus packages, and it will get payed back somewhere, coming out of our pockets in the long term. This is not a true rebate, because we're still eating the cost. When you get a mail in rebate, or instant rebate the manufacturer eats that money to "give" you a rebate.

On topic, just continuing some gear whoring. It's really nice being single again as I can get what I want without the former annoying half saying no

i should just put it into savings, that would probably be the best thing for most of the population to do.

It would be good for you individually, but the reason we receive tax returns is to put money in the hands of consumers to spend and stimulate the economy, which I think our country is in dire need of.

i think it would only really help the economy if people bought from their local mom and pop places or specifically only bought US made products. Most of the money will be going to china/india/mexico/etc. I see this more as a red herring for people's wallets when they are hurting. Nothing is free and encouraging people to buy TVs made in china, doesn't really help a thing.

done with my little soap box rant.

ding ding ding, we have a winner. There's nothing truly free when it comes to money and taxes. Just know that we're helping support the Chinese (I believe) economy with these stimulus packages, and it will get payed back somewhere, coming out of our pockets in the long term. This is not a true rebate, because we're still eating the cost. When you get a mail in rebate, or instant rebate the manufacturer eats that money to "give" you a rebate.

Exactly. $600 is enough to go buy more chinese stuff and put gas in the tank for foreign oil.

I'm getting a road bike with mine. Probably a chinese make. :angry: I commuted all summer last year on my full suspension mtb. :blink: Hardly an efficient bike for commuting.

10% goes to our home church (tithe)

the rest, approx. $1000, will go to our property taxes, (or something like that.. I can not remember what my wife told me but it has something to do with the property we own) AND towards my Maxima. I need new brakes, I hit a deer a while back, and there are some other misc. things that need to be fixed.

I will also be taking my wife on a date- most likely to PF Chang's.