Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cavs019

LCD TV's

While this probably isn't the best place to go for electronics expertise, anyone have any suggestions for an LCD primarily for watching hockey/xbox360? I'm looking to drop around $1500-$2000, considering the new Sony Bravia 40' V or W series.

sony's are nice, but me and a bunch of my buddies have been rolling on some Samsungs. Absolutely love them. We all play 360's on them. Ive had westinghouse, sanyo, sharp and samsung. The samsung tv's have had the best quality and performance for my money so far. But i usually take a day and sit at bestbuy watching all the tv's before i buy one to really look at them.

from the general consensus among my friends who watch sports and play video games LCD televisions are not the best choice because of its slow response time. I have watched hockey games on LCD tv's and I am not happy with it. I see the puck being passed and it doesn't seem natural. Its like one second its here and the next second it magically is whisked away onto the guy's blade. I don't have this problem with CRT televisions. My friends ended up buying Plasma televisions instead.

Definitely check out all the different televisions and buy the right one for you. The price doesn't really matter because its only a good deal if it works for you.

Check out this site for more info.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9/

By the way $1500 seems to be a bit high for 40 inch LCD tv. My sister in law bought the Sony 46 inch Bravia V series for about $1200 CDN a couple months ago.

Response times are pretty low now, and with the 120 HZ refresh rate of the W series they are just as fast, if not faster than a typical plasma. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right one.

If you are buying a newer higher model (Sony, Samsung, etc.) you won't find the delay or ghosting. Older ones did. But if you are buying a cheaper LCD (Westinghouse, Insignia) you might find ghosting.

I have a 46" Sony Bravia XBR from last year and I have nothing but good things to say. Great t.v.

Which Plasma would you recommend? I've heard the Pioneer Kuro and select Panasonics are the best, but the Kuro is a bit more than what I'd like to spend.

Which Plasma would you recommend? I've heard the Pioneer Kuro and select Panasonics are the best, but the Kuro is a bit more than what I'd like to spend.
Plasma, go Panasonic! With the pixel shift technology that they have, combined with the ability to reset "burn in" pixels to white, great plasma.

LCD, believe it or not, look at Mitsubishi. xV color & the HDMI "memory" remote programing are stellar.

However, best image is DLP.

Mitsu and Sony lead the market from what I've seen.

DLP tvs give me a headache, I also see weird shadings and random color flashes, normally purple or green. Some people just cant watch DLPs... although newer ones are getting better.

My parents have a Bravia W series... It's beautiful, hockey games look great, picture looks great. If I was going to buy a TV, Sony gets my money. They are pricey but based on what I've seen, they are the best on the marker. Followed by Samsung.

From what I know Sony does not make there own LCD screens. They have other companies make them like Sharp and Samsung and then they slap their logo on the casing.

Sharp Aquos, hands down is the best LCD, especially the pro series.

My friend did a lot of research into this and just bought the Panasonic Vierra Plasma TH-46PZ85U (46 inch) a couple of weeks ago.

This mondel just came out recently at a MSRP price of $2200 CDN. We ended up barginning it down to $1900. Supposedly the reviews are great on this model.

They were clearing out the previous models for about 1/3 less. I guess based on his research that it was worth it to pay about $500 more for the current model. So if you are a bit on a budget the previous line model of the Vierra you can probably easily get a 40 inch for $1000 if not better.

I am going to go over to my friend's place and see if I can watch a hockey / basketball game and see how the action looks.

oh by the way I think the best image is CRT tube television. I think if you read enough articles the old vacuum CRT tube with HD will give you the sharpest picture.

Unfortunately there are other disadvantages such as weight and size which no one wanted to even consider. Its too bad because I was seriously thinking about buying one a couple of years ago. Now its kind of too late.

Id look at Samsung. We have a 50" Plasma and it is hands down the best picture I have seen on a TV. Pioneer would be the best, but thats out of your price range.

fastmiele Posted Today, 12:14 PM

QUOTE(Cavs019 @ May 4 2008, 02:18 AM)

My friend did a lot of research into this and just bought the Panasonic Vierra Plasma TH-46PZ85U (46 inch) a couple of weeks ago.

This mondel just came out recently at a MSRP price of $2200 CDN. We ended up barginning it down to $1900. Supposedly the reviews are great on this model.

They were clearing out the previous models for about 1/3 less. I guess based on his research that it was worth it to pay about $500 more for the current model. So if you are a bit on a budget the previous line model of the Vierra you can probably easily get a 40 inch for $1000 if not better.

I am going to go over to my friend's place and see if I can watch a hockey / basketball game and see how the action looks.

oh by the way I think the best image is CRT tube television. I think if you read enough articles the old vacuum CRT tube with HD will give you the sharpest picture.

Unfortunately there are other disadvantages such as weight and size which no one wanted to even consider. Its too bad because I was seriously thinking about buying one a couple of years ago. Now its kind of too late.

I completely agree with the CRT Tube recommendation. I myself have a 34" CRT HDTV I bought about 3 or 4 years ago that I'm very happy with. I use it for watching HDDVDs, Blu Rays, Xbox 360, HD shows and Standard Def viewing. Nothing beats the old CRT tubes when it comes to black levels, contrast and handling standard def content (on most LCDS and Plasmas HD looks good, but standard def looks pretty crappy. Plus on LCDs blacks can look grey). There are no ghosting or blurring issues or burn in issues so they're great for gaming. They're just heavy beasts that are a pain to move (mine is 155lbs and some Sonys are around 200lbs), but if you aren't moving around the TV and don't mind the weight you can find some great deals on used models.

My sister's boyfriend was considering getting a 32" LCD TV, but I did a quick search on the local craigslists and kijiji sites and found a bunch of 34" Sony and Toshiba CRT HDTV tubes going for under $500 which is a great deal. I paid about $1400 for mine (and don't regret the purchase). In comparison a good 32" LCD will usually run over $700 plus tax and the black levels and contrast don't compare to a CRT - the advantage is they're lighter, easier to move and you can mount them on the wall.

The other disadvantage of the CRT Tubes is the biggest size you can get is 34" so if you're looking for 40" plus then LCD and Plasma are better options for that. Samsung, Sharp and Sony are the leaders in the LCD market and Pioneer and Panasonic are known for Plasma's as indicated in earlier posts. For CRT direct view Tubes the best ones to find would be the Sony Super fine pitch models, I highly recommend the Toshiba 34HF84 as that's what I have - the 34HFX84 was even a step up. Panasonic and JVC also made good tubes too, but when I was researching my purchase Sony and Toshiba received the best reviews...the Sony was about $600 more though so I went with the Toshiba. I know Philips made some too, but those didn't get great reviews.

I'm a fan of Costco's Vizio brand. I have a 32" and a 37", both with a great picture, plenty of inputs, and an unbeatable price.

Costco's a good place to pick up a TV. I have a 50 inch plasma Tosiba and have been quite impressed with it. It's been at least a year and a half and the thing is still going on strong with no problems. It gets a workload everyday too, being on sometimes from 9 in the morning to midnight.

But Costco's a nice place to pick up a TV because they'll let you return it if you don't like it/something goes wrong with it without a hassle. We once had a projection TV from costco that broke, when we bought a new one, one of the people there told us we could return it/exchange the old one. I've heard the policy has changed, but not by much, i think they changed the time, ie 90 days to return the tv.

We have a 40 inch Sony Bravia with full 1080 HD. I think it ran us about $1500 or so.

I love it.

Now, it's all relative, we were coming of a regular 30 inch standard def TV, so the awesome factor was immense. If you already have HD and are looking for another set for a different room or something, the awesome factor may be different.

If you plan on playing the Xbox on it, dont go for a Plama. Your going to see burn-ins from the health bar or scoreboard or whatever is up on the screen for a long time. Plasmas are great for TV, DVDs n such, but not for videogames. Get an LCD.

If you're going for an LCD and want to get the most bang for you buck I know a lot of people on a Canadian Deal site I vist (redflagdeals.com) are raving over the 1080p 42" and 47" Viewsonic LCDs available at Costco in Canada for $1199 and $1399 respectively which would both be in your price range. They likely carry those in the US Costco's as well. The top of the line Samsungs, Sharps or Sonys (and I'm sure some other brands) will have some additional features and advantages, however; they will also be much more expensive for those sizes. Most people who have bought the 1080p Viewsonics in those sizes seem to like them. There seems to be a good price/performance balance here as far as LCDs TVs go.

The other LCD deals being talked about on that site are the Olevia LCDs Tiger Direct is selling in both Canada and the U.S. They have a 52" 1080p TV for $1499: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=3651

They also have a 47" for $1199: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=3650

I'd read some reviews, look around at prices and then make your pick. There's definitely a lot to choose from out there. This is a decent article to start with: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/electronics/lcd-tv/ That site compiles reviews on one item or subject and I usually take a look there to start my research on a lot of purchases, but it should be one of many sources on a fairly high priced purchase. Samsungs and Sonys are the top TVs mentioned and Vizio's are given recommendations for good value budget TVs so P5 and Dman aren't alone in thinking those are a good value.