Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Nike/Bauer 9500 Helmet Initial Thoughts

Received mine in the mail today.

95002.jpg

95001.jpg

95003.jpg

95004.jpg

This was the first time I had tried on a L - strangely enough, I had to open it about halfway. The toolless adjustment system is a breeze, so is the occipital bone lock adjustment system.

Oakley visor installed without a hitch. Ran into a bit of a snafu when I took the ear guards out (TOTALLY MY FAULT, BTW) and yanked on the back piece of the padding and creased it. It didn't fall out, but it cracked, but did some research and it said that 2-part epoxy works well with EPP. Put a little back there and it's fine - so word to the wise - if you're working on a $160 helmet, take out the EPP before you do any work.

95005.jpg

The interior is very comfortable - VN in the right spots, and the Therma Core pads are a cool (pun intended) touch.

Did the usual MSH dressing up LOL...but should give the helmet a good skate in a couple of days. If I had the same sweat issues as I had in the S9, I'll take back whatever I said about that helmet. :)

If I had the same sweat issues as I had in the S9, I'll take back whatever I said about that helmet. :)

lol.

Bout damn time. See what I mean about chromed out box?

Just a fyi, the medium 9500 fit me and I wear a L in a carbster, 652, 692 and S9. Can't fit in a 4500 L but do fit in a 4000 L, Vector = M. My 8K is a L but is a little loose on me.

We a dozen over the past week in both solid and custom colors. (I'll try and get some pics of the customs if you like)

The ThermoCore pads are pretty comfy. Unfortunately it bulbs out a bit too much in the back for my dome.

We haven't sold any yet, so I haven't gotten any feedback on how the ventilation is.

I'm a fan of the packaging as we keep them on high shelves in the shop and they are now the lettering and colors as well as the 9500 are clearly indicated.

Any idea when the 9500 cages will be available retail? I had been reading Spring for awhile, then I heard early June, then I heard late June. I havn't heard anything else lately. Are there specified seasons that a bunch of new stuff comes out at once?

Thinking of getting one because I love / support bauer :) Hella expensive tho.

Any idea when the 9500 cages will be available retail? I had been reading Spring for awhile, then I heard early June, then I heard late June. I havn't heard anything else lately. Are there specified seasons that a bunch of new stuff comes out at once?

We've had the 9500 cages for a week or two now.

I love the look of this helmet. I would seriously considering upgrading from my 3500 and going for the 9500, but, I am 5'9 and wear a large in the 3500, I just think the 9500 would be ridiculously huge on me if I needed the large.

Also, JR, does that Oakley visor come like that retail or is it a custom cut?

Yes - thinner bars and a lot of weight.

I sold a 9500 helmet today and added the 9500 cage to it. Before I put the cage on, I handed it to my customer(Whaler) to show him and the mask is just wicked light. It is a feather in your hand.

I'd sweat like a pig in that thing...I wish helmets came with removable sweat bands or something...I'm constantly wiping sweat from my face...

It was an Oakley straight that I carved myself.

You can do M all the way open.

I thought so from the half Oakley sticker :lol: but yeah, it looks awesome. Part of me was hoping it was retail so I could get me one.

Yeah I can maybe do that, I'll just need to try them on and see what fits best. Thats if my LHS ever gets the 9500 which I doubt.

Decided to take the helmet apart to get a better understanding - found some pretty cool stuff. Really suggest to be careful with it - it is NOT a three-piece helmet like the 5500 is.

95006.jpg

95007.jpg

Side temple pieces are floating and attached to the helmet - so they are flexible if you need to tinker around with the screws behind it.

95008.jpg

95009.jpg

950010.jpg

950011.jpg

Yes, that IS carbon fibre.

950012.jpg

haha you are a real typical man JR.

Just got the thing, "I know, lets take it to pieces" :lol:

I'm glad I did it - because there's a seam that makes it look like it's three pieces, but the clue is that it doesn't move when you adjust. The last thing I'd hate to see is a LHS working assuming that it's a three-piece helmet, yank on it, and destroy the helmet. Also - take the front clip off first, you could do damage if you try to pry off the back piece.

Here is where I broke it -

950013.jpg

It didn't snap off, just creased. The epoxy set in perfectly.

I was checking them out at work yesterday. Reminds me of a Carbster, actually. I don't mind the all black one but I still prefer the more 'traditional' 4000/4500 etc!