Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gatorade09

Should i get a PS3

also a question for those who have the ps3, do you need a ethernet cable to connect to its live or is it wireless?

It has wi-fi.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one but what's the deal with the game installs? Does that mean it copies the game to the hard drive and you no longer need the disk?

They're now starting to give you the choice to download some games from the Playstation Network and running them straight off the HDD rather than buying the actual disk.

Thanks for pointing that out. I somehow forgot to mention it.

also a question for those who have the ps3, do you need a ethernet cable to connect to its live or is it wireless?

It has wi-fi.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one but what's the deal with the game installs? Does that mean it copies the game to the hard drive and you no longer need the disk?

They're now starting to give you the choice to download some games from the Playstation Network and running them straight off the HDD rather than buying the actual disk.

Thanks for pointing that out. I somehow forgot to mention it.

Ah, what the hell? I took the plunge and ordered the MGS4 bundle. Time will tell if it'll be my next dust collector. So now does that mean I can rent a game at blockbuster and copy it to my drive? :angry:

No, you can't do that. Sorry Fury. If you could, the game makers would've gone out of business some time ago.

I figured that. I researched most of the ins & outs of the PS3 online and I came across people bitching and moaning how it was taking an hour to load Metal Gear on their system so I just wondered if you just load the game onto the system and not needing to read from the disc once loaded. Anyway I guess I'll find out soon enough. Got a new toy to keep me interested for at least a month. Now what system do I get NHL for? :angry:

I figured that. I researched most of the ins & outs of the PS3 online and I came across people bitching and moaning how it was taking an hour to load Metal Gear on their system so I just wondered if you just load the game onto the system and not needing to read from the disc once loaded. Anyway I guess I'll find out soon enough. Got a new toy to keep me interested for at least a month. Now what system do I get NHL for? :ph34r:

The initial install of MGS4 is a little lengthy but i don't think it was anywhere near an hour, maybe 30 mins but is it ever worth it. Metal Gear Solid 4 was probably the best gaming experience I've ever had. The cut scenes run lengthy, one is about an hour long but they are amazing to watch and super dramatic. There really is no toping the game.

if se the online play for ps3 i think it is pointless to buy one. if 360 hasnt crapped on u yet than dont worry about it. if u were changing platforms completly id say go ps3. the only good thing about 360 is halo.

if se the online play for ps3 i think it is pointless to buy one. if 360 hasnt crapped on u yet than dont worry about it. if u were changing platforms completly id say go ps3. the only good thing about 360 is halo.

Completely disagree. The PSN is getting better and better. Admittedly, they were really slow on making the necessary upgrades but seem to have gotten the message now.

As I type from my PS3, I gotta say it is pretty sweet. So far only picked up Ninja Gaiden Sigma & Resistance. This will reach dork status, but I gotta beat Metal Gear 3 before I play 4. :P

The initial install of MGS4 is a little lengthy but i don't think it was anywhere near an hour, maybe 30 mins but is it ever worth it. Metal Gear Solid 4 was probably the best gaming experience I've ever had. The cut scenes run lengthy, one is about an hour long but they are amazing to watch and super dramatic. There really is no toping the game.

Saw this and had to bump this old thread. MGS4 bores me out of my mind, and the long, long, long cut scenes are the biggest part of it. I can't bear watching Otacon push his glasses back one more time. The extremely convoluted story lines drive me absolutely batty. I would fall asleep when the cut scenes started getting really lengthy. Finally I got sick of them and just started skipping them all - through maybe 8-10 of them, each probably 10-minutes long, *between one level*. I now have no idea what is going on in terms of the overall story line, but could not care less. As soon as I finish this game, I'm selling it. This makes Assassin's Creed look like a gaming masterpiece.

Saw this and had to bump this old thread. MGS4 bores me out of my mind, and the long, long, long cut scenes are the biggest part of it. I can't bear watching Otacon push his glasses back one more time. The extremely convoluted story lines drive me absolutely batty. I would fall asleep when the cut scenes started getting really lengthy. Finally I got sick of them and just started skipping them all - through maybe 8-10 of them, each probably 10-minutes long, *between one level*. I now have no idea what is going on in terms of the overall story line, but could not care less. As soon as I finish this game, I'm selling it. This makes Assassin's Creed look like a gaming masterpiece.

Felt exactly the same, the cut scenes did my box in so i only got half way through and gave it up as a bad job and sold it.

For anyone thats completed it, i aint gonna buy it again so can anyone tell me how the game ends?

i would get it just for the blu ray ...... i wonder if the rumor of them combining xbox live and psn are even remotley true

Where the hell did you hear that? No possible way that is true, they are arch rivals.

You're completely right, I hate the game. Its impossible to play the game if you have any type of life outside of video games.

I really want to get it, but after playing MGS2 and MGS3, I know they are the kind of games you can't just sit down for half an hour and play. I think I'm going to wait until winter when I can spend like 15 hours one weekend and just beat it. It is impossible to have a life while playing that game....but they always are fantastic in my opinion.

Anyone download the Tiger Woods 09 Demo? Looks pretty sweet to me...I'm a bit of a golf nut so I like how you can really tweak all the setting on your clubs this year, and it's also good for me because I always always have a hook with my swing on the controller, and after fooling with the club settings in the demo I could dial that right in and correct it.

i would get it just for the blu ray ...... i wonder if the rumor of them combining xbox live and psn are even remotley true

That would make online gaming 10 times better. If only though eh..

Where the hell did you hear that? No possible way that is true, they are arch rivals.

You're completely right, I hate the game. Its impossible to play the game if you have any type of life outside of video games.

I really want to get it, but after playing MGS2 and MGS3, I know they are the kind of games you can't just sit down for half an hour and play. I think I'm going to wait until winter when I can spend like 15 hours one weekend and just beat it. It is impossible to have a life while playing that game....but they always are fantastic in my opinion.

I totally agree. That's actually a large part of why I like sports games. You can just spend an hour here and two hours there. GTA IV is as far as I can go in time wasting to beat a game. It took me maybe 4 days of a week at 6 hours each.

After beating the main story of GTA IV I havnt put it back in my ps3. Loved the game while playing it but I couldnt get into doing the assasign missions or a bunch of races.. I cant wait for them to put more missions up to buy.

I think I'm going to wait until winter when I can spend like 15 hours one weekend and just beat it. It is impossible to have a life while playing that game....but they always are fantastic in my opinion.

I'd be surprised if anyone could get through it in 15 hours because of the length of the cut scenes. There has to be at least 9-10 hours of cutscenes that I've skipped or yawned through, and I don't think I'm close to the end...

After beating the main story of GTA IV I havnt put it back in my ps3. Loved the game while playing it but I couldnt get into doing the assasign missions or a bunch of races.. I cant wait for them to put more missions up to buy.

I felt the same way about the side missions so I began playing online. Bomb Da Base ii and Noose are good stuff. See how many kills you can get without dying in BTB II.

That would make online gaming 10 times better. If only though eh..

And have you PS3 inbreds gibber gabbing about Blueray to us, or bragging that you don't have to pay subscription fees? I'd rather not! :P

I'm thinking of buying PS3 for the ladies for Xmas, since I no longer can easily walk down the toy aisle and find something for them, and I only can buy so many sweaters. This will also allow me to switch the existing Blu-Ray player to the bedroom.

I read that Sony is dropping the price of the unit to $299, yet saw a bundle in Costco today that was around $489 with two shock controllers and HDMI cables. HDMI cables can be found cheaply online, so I'd be paying $180 or so for two shock controllers. Are "shock" controllers normal or are they enhanced from the normal controller? Are they a Scratch-N-Sniff gimmick that just makes the controller vibrate in the hand or do they add sensation to the games?

Also, I've noticed there are 80GB and 160GB units. How much do people actually use these for storage. I figured I'd probably buy a couple of games for them, rent occasionally, then mostly use it for Blu-Ray. Would the storage matter much to me?

The controllers are nice but I figured they were the ones that came with all the PS3s. It definitely adds realism to games at times. I like how it rumbles when your pitcher's all stressed out on the mound and stuff.

Depending on the price break you can find on the storage, don't worry too much. I slapped a 250gb hd in mine and haven't filled it up and I put a lot of crap on there. Sounds like you don't even need to worry about getting the old fatty or the new slim one, so maybe you can get a price break on an older one from someone around you.

At the current prices I would most certainly get a PS3. Its a great system, not just for gaming but also for all around entertainment. I frequently use it to stream movies from my PC to the big screen in my living room and it works very well. Also as mentioned, you can change the harddrive very easily without loosing warranty. Sony supports the procedure and made it as easy as possible.

I say wait for the slim 120gb to come out. it's 299, but i dont know about accesories. dualshock controllers are 55 dollars, so wait, since this is fo9r xmas, right? btw, all prices USD