Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gatorade09

Should i get a PS3

pretty sure PS3slim is 299 everywhere, like the PSPgo will be 249.99 everywhere. personally all the games i like (except Mario; I have a DS for that) are on the PS3.

1. I read that Sony is dropping the price of the unit to $299

2. yet saw a bundle in Costco today that was around $489 with two shock controllers and HDMI cables

3. are "shock" controllers normal or are they enhanced from the normal controller?

4. I've noticed there are 80GB and 160GB units. How much do people actually use these for storage. I figured I'd probably buy a couple of games for them, rent occasionally, then mostly use it for Blu-Ray. Would the storage matter much to me?

1. yes - bigger HDD always better / need to research prices and determine which games you'd like to play

2. some stores just make their own 'in-store promo bundles' to move product

I see this alot with XBOX / see #1 - again probably get the same cheaper if bought sepatate

3. DualShock3 controllers are normal / originally Sony wanted to push SIXAXIS (motion control) and so some early controllers only had SIXAXIS, now they have both

hilarious because virtually NO games use SIXAXIS (long story, big lawsuit, bigger $$)

4. downloading stuff (games, demos, videos, music) is addictive but that's your call, I have a 500G HDD in mine

The larger HD isn't useful or worth the cost right now if you don't use it. I have an 80gb PS3 (software PS2 capabilities), I don't use enough to need a bigger one. It's hardly an issue worth bothering with on the PS3 since if you need a larger one as time goes you can buy a retail hard drive, which are laughably cheap, and become more so as time goes on.

The larger HD isn't useful or worth the cost right now if you don't use it. I have an 80gb PS3 (software PS2 capabilities), I don't use enough to need a bigger one. It's hardly an issue worth bothering with on the PS3 since if you need a larger one as time goes you can buy a retail hard drive, which are laughably cheap, and become more so as time goes on.

Ahriman, what's your username?

mine was 80Gb and no, very quickly was obvious it wasn't big enough for me but I download a lot

HDD's are crazy cheap, you can now get a 1Tb (1000Gb!!!!) drive for the price of an 8Gb memory stick of only 1.5-2 yrs ago!

to Jason - 80G is enough to get you started but the 120G slim is the way to go i'd say, if you need more space drives are easy to switch out but...

you'll need a USB drive at least as big as whatever is in your PS3 to backup to when you do (FYI)

Well I'm of the opinion that digital downloading is for people who dont like to own the products they pay for, so your right, I wont run out because I won't be downloading pay-for movie or music so the only thing I have on my PS3 is game installs and demos, I understand storage needs plenty enough though, I have 3 1.5Tb drives filled on my server for encoded tv, music and movies.

lancer - if I was on a game with any reason to connect I'd post it up :P

I just want to let everyone know before today the last post was Aug 28, 08. Since then I already purchased my ps3. I really don't download movies and such off the store. Actually I never really bought anything except some costumes for LittleBigPlanet. I not a fan of Call of Duty World at War but I play it every once in a while. I don't play much anymore but mostly like to play SOCOM.

Do games run faster or smoother when they are stored on the hard drive, or is it easier to switch between them when they are internally stored?

Also, that was a good idea about waiting for the Xmas sales.

Mine run faster but at times it's a bitch waiting for the games to load to the HD. That said, my comparison is coming from an older (pre HDMI yay) 360 and a PS3. I'd take the PS3 every day of the week.

i have the original 60 gig one lol...best purchase of my life, until probably i get maybe some gretzky worn game gloves or the ps4 :P

I'd take the PS3 every day of the week.

I'd take the system that plays games I want to; and then consider games that are cross platform and notice the 360 version is almost universally judged better by reviewers.

The PS3 slim will be 299.99 in the west, regardless of currency. So yeah, basically the Europeans are going to be taking it up the rear again on this one. As for the games issue, I think the PS3's lack of an install base has hampered it's line up. It is also a more difficult system to program for, and dev's aren't going to spend large amounts of time tweaking the PS3 port when there isn't a big enough sales potential to make it worth the effort. While I doubt the threats were serious, a few 3rd party companies did threaten to stop developing for the PS3. I tend to think it was always about forcing Sony's hand with a price cut, that they obviously have now.

Sony really stumbled upon a universal truth in video games: once consoles start to eclipse the $400 price point sales will suffer. I would also serious question the business sense of putting Blu-Ray in. The PS2 did set off the DVD revolution in Japan, and I think it affected the North American market as well, but they had to realize there were big differences between the VHS vs. DVD format war and a Blu-Ray vs. DVD format war.

notice the 360 version is almost universally judged better by reviewers.

only if you go to xbox fansites. the 360 had a 1.5yr head start and it's basically a computer anyway

reveiwers (all systems) are tools paid to push the latest & greatest

soon they'll be pushing Uncharted 2 / God of War III / Gran Turismo 5 / MAG / ModNation Racers / Heavy Rain- all PS3 only

the PS3 is just hitting it's stride... two of the best games graphically for PS2 (God of War & Final Fantasy XII) came at the system cycle's end

Well I'm of the opinion that digital downloading is for people who dont like to own the products they pay for

i paid for and downloaded Echochrome but because I have no physical disc i don't own it???

I won't be downloading pay-for movie or music

and then...

I have 3 1.5Tb drives filled on my server for encoded tv, music and movies.

so you won't download pay-for music or videos to your PS3 but you'll rip 450,000Mb of basically the same stuff to your server???

i'll bet if you wrecked a disc you 'owned' you don't immediately delete it do you. you should... no physical disc, no ownership!

the only thing I have on my PS3 is game installs and demos

same here and I'm at 155Gb and counting....

edited for: math

from what i heard when i lived in hk (don't know if its true), the PS3 was meant to come out before the 360, but something delayed it, maybe blu-ray, that led to 360 coming first and with all the hype of HD and blah blah blah, most people went and got one, if it was the other way round i'd say the 360 would be hard pressed to try and catch up with the ps3

I bought PS3 only for download content in Rock Band. GF bought me NHL 09 and played that pretty relentlessly, but other then that I don't use it much. It is nice to have though, as when I move out I already have a Blu Ray player/dvd/cd player, along with game console. I'm not a huge gamer so I don't see the value in an XBox 360, but can understand how online gaming may be fun for some people. I think it depends on what you want it for. Oh - and if you are getting one, I'd look for a used first gen one that has ps2 compatability. The older the PS3, the more features it has. And upgrading the hard drive is a breeze, and you can use the money you save to get a pretty good sized drive.

notice the 360 version is almost universally judged better by reviewers.

only if you go to xbox fansites. the 360 had a 1.5yr head start and it's basically a computer anyway

reveiwers (all systems) are tools paid to push the latest & greatest

soon they'll be pushing Uncharted 2 / God of War III / Gran Turismo 5 / MAG / ModNation Racers / Heavy Rain- all PS3 only

the PS3 is just hitting it's stride... two of the best games graphically for PS2 (God of War & Final Fantasy XII) came at the system cycle's end

Xbox is easier to code for, that is an industry accepted reality, I am not a fanboy of either system nor would I bother reading such drivel as game websites. However to suggest the platforms are entirely equal on games that come out for both would be incredibly inaccurate, go google the ghostbusters game for a comparison. You may not care but there is plenty of people with both systems who do.

It is also generally accepted that yes, the best games come out as the system ages, because the coders get better at taking advantage of the capabilities of the platform, that is evident in the PS2 for sure, as well as the Xbox, will that be the case for the PS3 on as far as most games (ie not showroom system sellers which of course will look their best) remains yet to be seen; the architecture of the system is harder to code for in the first place.

Well I'm of the opinion that digital downloading is for people who dont like to own the products they pay for

i paid for and downloaded Echochrome but because I have no physical disc i don't own it???

You own a license for it, can you put it on another PS3 easily? Can you sell it to someone, can you let your friend borrow your copy? Sorry that's not owning in my book.

You own a license for it, can you put it on another PS3 easily? Can you sell it to someone, can you let your friend borrow your copy? Sorry that's not owning in my book.

true enough and points accepted, but that will come as digital copies become more accepted/common

I'd take the system that plays games I want to; and then consider games that are cross platform and notice the 360 version is almost universally judged better by reviewers.

Maybe if both systems operated reasonably well and comparable, but mine don't. My 360 is a busted-up bitch that sounds like a jet engine when it's playing games and half the time I get disc read errors on games in perfect condition. These may be problems solved with a newer model but Microsoft hasn't me suckered into buying a new one yet.

I downloaded the NHL 10 demo for the PS3 and must say it played much smoother than the Xbox 360 version IMO.

Anyone know of any good exclusive games to the ps3.

Maybe if both systems operated reasonably well and comparable, but mine don't. My 360 is a busted-up bitch that sounds like a jet engine when it's playing games and half the time I get disc read errors on games in perfect condition. These may be problems solved with a newer model but Microsoft hasn't me suckered into buying a new one yet.

Think of it as a Maserati, you'd rather drive it than your civic, but you better have a mechanic on call :P

Also reading over your post again Rustyhole, yeah I will encode and store all my media in safer place than my PS3, so I can access it easier from anywhere in my network, at the quality settings I have personally set for myself, without the worry that someone someday will decide that I don't own the product I thought I did.

i'll bet if you wrecked a disc you 'owned' you don't immediately delete it do you. you should... no physical disc, no ownership!

first off, the idea is that I can put that disk away and nothing can ever happen to it. Secondly, I don't even know what argument you're trying to make here but you should seriously read up on whatever topic you're trying to argue about.

Man I've mowed lawns with quieter things than my 360. Small gripe, but I think their controllers aren't nearly as well done as the Sony ones. Sony's a little small for my liking but I never lose connection and I like their rechargeable ones over MS's battery ones. Batteries. WTF?

I used to be pro-360 but now i'm pro-ps3.. After going through the monkeys at MS customer service and 2 XBOX's with about $60 in MS Points lost, I got fed up and bought a PS3. Still on my first 80GB, much quieter and plays blu-rays. I freaking hate XBOX now.. I don't think I've turned it on since February..

Actually, you can. Anything you purchase from the PSN store can be downloaded to up 5 PS3s. ;)

The PS3 is just starting to hit it's stride. There are a lot of PS3 exclusives in the next 6 months that I want, and almost nothing on the X360 that interest me, except for Forza 3.

Man I've mowed lawns with quieter things than my 360. Small gripe, but I think their controllers aren't nearly as well done as the Sony ones. Sony's a little small for my liking but I never lose connection and I like their rechargeable ones over MS's battery ones. Batteries. WTF?

Wired controllers are where it's at. Yes you have to buy another controller, or a Play 'n Charge kit, but it's worth it IMO.

The xbox controller in general has always felt better to me, however, nothing will ever top the old S Controller. End-all-be-all.