Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

Pagey looked pretty good tonight.

Did that guitar sound live to you? I know he's good (no, GREAT) but, that sounded almost too perfect to be live.

I'm not too sure if you could convince him to do anything but play, it's Jimmy Page theres no doubt in my mind that that was all him. I didnt like however the lack of loudness, the performance sounded faint imo. But I've seen some live performance of his on DVD (far too young to have been priveledged to see in person) and he's the king of live performances, I don't know anyone who improvises better than he, please bring on a reunion tour lol. I'm kinda surpirised the Brit's didnt try and send Sir Paul McCartney, I'm a huge Page fan but Paul I think is more known worlwide, oh well no complaints here.

on a sidenote, does anyone know if they did or plan to have Zeppelins 2007 O2 arena concert on DVD?

the IOC is finnally looking into the age of a chinese female gymnast. theres no way most of those girls were 16

The chinese government provided official documentation saying she was 16. If the IOC wants more proof, they will create it. How do you disprove the official government documentation?

Because I think there is also 'offical' documentation from earlier this year, or last year, that said she was only 12. With that being said, you're right, there's no way they are ever going to be able to prove it to the point that those medals get taken away.

I'm not sure whether official documentation exists, but I read someone discovered cached pages (not current pages, mind you) on Google that listed two girls as two years younger at a previous tournament.

Now, I admit that I would likely bet the farm that there is no way some of those girls are 16, basied solely on a comparison between my daughters and them. My older daughter is 11 1/2 and around the third smallest in her grade; she is almost off the low end of the charts for weight and height, yet she weighs 62 pounds. I had always thought a friend of hers is smaller, but she told me she weighs around 65 pounds. In contrast, I read that one of the Chinese girls was 68 pounds. That means, a solidly muscular girl who is, at minimum, four years older than these two tiny Americans is only about 5 pounds heavier. I realize that some kids are really off the charts, but they don't usually turn into world class athletes. Further, a couple of the girls were as undeveloped as my daughter and her friends are at 11. Even if the athletes had virtually no body fat, their breasts would be small but there still would be signs of having reached puberty.

All that said, I think I might be in the camp of let them compete at any age. I understand the arguments against allowing them to compete, but I suspect the Chinese athletes would have two more years of indentured servitude if they had to wait until 16.

Pagey looked pretty good tonight.

Did that guitar sound live to you? I know he's good (no, GREAT) but, that sounded almost too perfect to be live.

I'm not too sure if you could convince him to do anything but play, it's Jimmy Page theres no doubt in my mind that that was all him. I didnt like however the lack of loudness, the performance sounded faint imo. But I've seen some live performance of his on DVD (far too young to have been priveledged to see in person) and he's the king of live performances, I don't know anyone who improvises better than he, please bring on a reunion tour lol. I'm kinda surpirised the Brit's didnt try and send Sir Paul McCartney, I'm a huge Page fan but Paul I think is more known worlwide, oh well no complaints here.

on a sidenote, does anyone know if they did or plan to have Zeppelins 2007 O2 arena concert on DVD?

Sorry, Page was NEVER known to be the "king of live performances." Page's (as well as Zeppelin) live reputation was that he was sloppy, and we're talking when Zep were in their heyday. Ironically, the performance that most fans identifiy Zep with (TSRTS) wasn't a good show at all - and were actually several of the MSG shows pieced together to make a DVD.

I agree about The Song Remains The Same -- it's inconsistent and almost spacey in parts. Consequently, I wasn't all that optimistic about How The West Was Won, but it has some good rockers.

By the way, JR, for a Dominican born gentleman, you sure have eclectic hobbies and tastes in your life!

I agree about The Song Remains The Same -- it's inconsistent and almost spacey in parts. Consequently, I wasn't all that optimistic about How The West Was Won, but it has some good rockers.

By the way, JR, for a Dominican born gentleman, you sure have eclectic hobbies and tastes in your life!

Hahaha I wasn't born in the DR...just lived there :)

That being said, How The West Was Won (LA 1972) was considered one of their best live (and recorded quality) performances. It's just unfortunate that they don't have much of a catalogue of live performances (as the band and especially Peter Grant were very anti-bootleg). Grant was notorious for smashing recorders and going into record stores and confiscating bootlegs.

the US's final tally of medals was 110 (not to bad). China's 50+ gold medals were pretty impressive though

New 100m WR, Usain Bolt.

He pulled up at 75-80m....that could have been ridiculous fast...he said on CBC after..."better to beat it small than big...so I can beat it again" (or something like that...)

A 9.5 hundred is coming kids...soon!

Amazing that even while slowing up, there was a greater difference (.2 seconds) between Bolt and Thompson in 2nd place than there was between Thompson and the rest of the racers. (.14 seconds).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more....track/?cnn=yes

Two members of the 2008 Jamaican Olympic track team received shipments of performance-enhancing drugs through an Internet distribution network, according to documents obtained by SI.

I mean, that's a pretty good argument - over the Internet, you can send anything to anyone. I would hope that athletes are smart enough to realize that if you are ordering something illegal, that you would put it in your name and your address - that's what a third party is for.

That's also why they're holding the urine samples of the winners for 8 years. When new tests come along, they will be able to go back and see if the athletes used substances that the WADA doesn't currently have a test for.