Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

Well, 2008 feels like 1976, we are not doing pretty good, thank god Phelps is there to put something entertaining on the tv. Let's just hope the men 8 rowing can get a something cause right now, I don't see Canada getting 10 medals during these Olympics.

Well, 2008 feels like 1976, we are not doing pretty good, thank god Phelps is there to put something entertaining on the tv. Let's just hope the men 8 rowing can get a something cause right now, I don't see Canada getting 10 medals during these Olympics.

Some parts of your country don't even have a summer, don't expect too much.

Some parts of your country don't even have a summer, don't expect too much.

At this point...it's not a matter of expecting "too much"...We expected SOMETHING by now!!!!!

I heart Alicia Sacramone.

Your girl is having a tough night....

I heard this earlier today...Okay...maybe the IOC should have invited him...but if it means that much to him, but a damn ticket and fly yourself there. If you ask me (which I am aware no one has...) Spitz is just a cry baby with an over inflated ego.

"I never got invited. You don't go to the Olympics just to say, I am going to go. Especially because of who I am..."
"He's almost identical to me. He's a world-record holder in all these events, so he is dominating the events just like I did," Spitz said. "He reminds me of myself."

Spitz has a totally valid point though that there was no 50m freestyle in his day or else Phelps might be just trying to tie his record. I think Phelps is amazing, of course, but everyone is getting a little carried away. Swimming is one of those events where he can win all those golds because they have so many different events. LeBron or Kobe can only win one gold at most because they don't have a 6ft slam dunk, 8 ft slam dunk and 3 point contest at the Olympics. And yes freestyle is different than butterfly which is different than whatever but it's all in the pool and he's obviously a freak of nature in water.

I think what Jesse and Carl did are just as impressive but many are ready to anoint Phelps greatest Olympian ever.

Phelps....good god, what an athlete.

Have you seen his diet? HOLY HELL like 12000 calories a day!

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the...try-it-at-home/

So, you're in Beijing for 21 days...and your event takes 2 to complete...what do you do for the rest of that time? The IOC thinks they know...

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2008/08/c...s-altius-f.html

Why do the divers go out of the pool and immediatley go to the shower?

Is the water super cold or whats up?

The pool water would be chlorinated, no? and probably cold...the showers are not only to wash off...but to stay warm

To keep muscles warm?

They all have those Shamwow extra absorbend wicking towels with them and theyre dry up on the diving platform so maybe warm water shower / i saw a little round pool to the side with divers sitting in it...keep warm so water doesnt evaporate off of them and cool down muscles between dives?

To keep muscles warm?

They all have those Shamwow extra absorbend wicking towels with them and theyre dry up on the diving platform so maybe warm water shower / i saw a little round pool to the side with divers sitting in it...keep warm so water doesnt evaporate off of them and cool down muscles between dives?

I'm not a swimmer but that sounds about right to me.

To keep muscles warm?

I'm not a swimmer but that sounds about right to me.

to clarify a bit, the temperature of the air is usually a bit cooler than the temperature of the water. hot showering/hot tub can help keep muscles from tightening up due to the temp difference

Haha, poor parents who have high school swimming kids. "Mom, i can' beat any world records if i don't have that new Speedo LZR" (worth approx. 700$ i think?)

Lol guys, here, in Quebec, they showed us the version with French (from france) commentary just to have a laugh. When the last guy jumped in, which is Alain Bernard (considered as one of the best in the world) the frenchs were like: It's over! France has won the relay!! Bernard can't be beaten! France has the gold! hahaha.

Anyway, i learned something interesting from a swimming expert today: if you look closely, you can see that the French swimmer made a mistake and swam VERY close to the american side. Lezak used his "wave" to get to him, that's part of the reason he was so fast. I'm not saying he didn't swim a wicked race here, it's just an interesting fact. Look at the vid, Bernard really is close to the american side.

Lezak admitted thats what he did. Said people had been doing it off him for years so why not get a chance to do it to someone else. Had he done what he did in an actual 100m freestyle race hed have broken the world record.

Haha, poor parents who have high school swimming kids. "Mom, i can' beat any world records if i don't have that new Speedo LZR" (worth approx. 700$ i think?)

And I think the materials in those break down too...so they are only 'good' for 25-30 swims. That's like, what, a week of heavy training.

And I think the materials in those break down too...so they are only 'good' for 25-30 swims. That's like, what, a week of heavy training.

I though they said it was more like ten. :ph34r: I might have heard wrong though.

EDIT: http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archiv...peedos_sup.html

It says in there, but I don't know how reliable that site is, although I vastly remember hearing them say it on NBC so I believe that's right.