Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

"Comic Book" Movies: Info & Rumors

It used to be "Alan Moore's Watchmen," but I have big concerns this is going to be "Zack Snyder's Watchmen."

It's starting to look that way. At first I thought he would adhere to Moore's vision, now it looks like audience reaction polls are dictating his directing.

Apparently the alien squid was never in the movie, even from the first draft of the script, so I wouldn't say he is bowing to audience reaction all that much. I'm pretty confused though as to how you take that part out and still maintain any integrity as far as the original story goes.

The film does LOOK awesome though, I am really digging the style of the trailers as well as all the promo posters and stuff that have come out.

I guess I'm having a generational gap, because it's the look of the trailers that are turning me off. All this emphasis of style over substance -- someone gets thrown from the window, the glass shatters then freezes, before they begin to fall again -- that just scares me that they don't have as much faith in the story.

Beyond that, I always found Watchmen to be gritty, not flashy.

I don't find the trailers to be overly flashy...I mean, it's a multi-million dollar blockbuster movie, so it's going to have a certain polish to it, but I like the dark style they are going for....of course it will all be for naught if they don't execute the story properly.

I have no problem with making it look good and have style. As long as it's not style over substance like 300. Of course 300 wasn't one of Miller's best works to begin with.

A friend of mine was telling me that without a giant squid, the story won't make any sense.

Joe Johnson (Jurassic Park III and Hidalgo) said to be signed to direct Captain America. No writer or script yet, however.

Variety claims the Turkish city of Batman is suing Christopher Nolan and Warner Brothers for using the city's name without permission. The mayor further claims The Dark Knight's success has led to a number of unsolved murders -- because they apparently do not have a real Batman -- as well as a high female suicide rate. No word on whether this is just a money grab on a billion-dollar grossing film.....

Latest Watchmen trailer.

Latest Watchmen trailer.

This one is worrying me a little bit.

Not sure why, those shots are almost identical to some of the frames of the comic.

As for the ending, I have found no evidence they have made it a happy ending. The squid may be a bit cheesy to modern audiences. As long as there is a threat to all mankind to unite them, it should work.

Ugh, I hope they bury the Jonah Hex rumours once and for all. An obscure comic whose star always had his lips stuck together in any of the old issues I'd seen.

My friends father does the illustration for Jonah Hex. It's pretty cool to see firsthand all the work that goes into these books. I've gotten to see it from the beginning to the final finished product. I've also [as lame as this may sound] been sort of a model for him to draw off of. He would take pictures to model the facial features and body types too.

EDIT: It's the newer Jonah Hex stuff he does as far as I know. Some of his artwork is incredible.

Latest Watchmen trailer.

Not sure why, those shots are almost identical to some of the frames of the comic.

As for the ending, I have found no evidence they have made it a happy ending. The squid may be a bit cheesy to modern audiences. As long as there is a threat to all mankind to unite them, it should work.

From what I understand, it will only make the Black Freighter subplot/mini-comic within the story a bit hard to follow without the giant squid. I didn't really understand the Black Freighter story in the first place when I read the book though, so I don't think the omission of the squid will bother me.

Besides, I'm not sure how easy it would have been to translate that squid to the screen - I like the direction they're going in now....it makes sense.

Come on, when has the appearance of a giant cephalopod EVER been anything less than an artistic triumph?

Personally, I think the best adaptation of all time was Seneca's Apocolocyntosis into Pumpkinhead, Revenge Demon.

Latest Watchmen trailer.

From what I understand, it will only make the Black Freighter subplot/mini-comic within the story a bit hard to follow without the giant squid. I didn't really understand the Black Freighter story in the first place when I read the book though, so I don't think the omission of the squid will bother me.

Besides, I'm not sure how easy it would have been to translate that squid to the screen - I like the direction they're going in now....it makes sense.

Tales of the Black Freighter isn't in the film, it's being released as a standalone animated DVD in March so there won't be any disconnect.

Two Punisher clips. It still looks too cartoonish, which makes no sense for the Punisher, since I think of him as being darker than Batman.

Ugg, I don't know why they can't get this right. The Punisher should be so easy to do. You have a great backstory and million ways to go with this. You are right, an R-rated, realistic Punisher would be easy to do. Just take anything Ennis has done over the past 5 years and put it on film.

RUMOR: 20th Century Fox wants to reboot its mutant franchise and has tapped Josh Schwartz to work on X-Men: First Class. The cast will supposedly skew younger.

Thats sounds good, if they bought back IceMan and Rogue. Especially if they amp Rogue's powers to be as they were in the comic.

A young Gambit coming into the movie would give it a boost as well, maybe even bring in Nimrod as the new enemy.

movies.yahoo.com;

It was announced on Wednesday that Josh Schwartz, the creator of the TV teen dramas "The O.C." and "Gossip Girl," will be writing "X-Men: First Class,"

movies.yahoo.com;
It was announced on Wednesday that Josh Schwartz, the creator of the TV teen dramas "The O.C." and "Gossip Girl," will be writing "X-Men: First Class,"

Ugh.

Two Punisher clips. It still looks too cartoonish, which makes no sense for the Punisher, since I think of him as being darker than Batman.

Ugg, I don't know why they can't get this right. The Punisher should be so easy to do. You have a great backstory and million ways to go with this. You are right, an R-rated, realistic Punisher would be easy to do. Just take anything Ennis has done over the past 5 years and put it on film.

I agree 110%. Punisher should be a no-brainer.....

I agree 110%. Punisher should be a no-brainer.....

The Dolph Lundgren version didn't totally suck, can't belive I actually said that.

Actually, I liked the Thomas Jane movie, although it wasn't quite the Punisher as much as it was a story of revenge.

I liked the movie, the character was a bit over dramatic for the surroundings and was a little light in mood with the neighbors, but solid under a different name.