Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

"Comic Book" Movies: Info & Rumors

FTR I think any review that mentions Dr. Manhattan's dangling Brooklyn should be nixed. OMG a blue cock!!11!

I wouldn't expect most to enjoy that but I would think that people could get past that and focus on a good story being told. If a little blue cock is taking people out of the movie and turning their focus to his bits, then I guess I'm guilty of giving out too much credit again.

I wouldn't expect most to enjoy that but I would think that people could get past that and focus on a good story being told. If a little blue cock is taking people out of the movie and turning their focus to his bits, then I guess I'm guilty of giving out too much credit again.

I agree, the thing that needs to be understood is that Jon is no longer human. He experiences no shame and no emotions so his dong being out is directly related to his character. To him, there is no reason to have clothes on and there's no reason to feel shame about any of it. It really is essential to see that to 'get it' about him especially with it being "just" a 2.5 hour film. There isn't any room for Jon to ramble on and on about his condition or his philosophy (if he has one) so the nakedness of him speaks to that. He is both innocent and immensely intelligent.

Now, having said all that, I'm pretty sure you didn't see it on a 75' IMAX full digital screen and have a literally 8 foot long dick staring you in the face Mack ;) There ain't no ignoring that blue whale. Which is why it would probably be much better on my 60" tv at home honestly.

I think the detachment you get from the series is done without justice in the movie. They touch on it briefly but it isn't cemented down like it is in the book. To me at least.

I had a good time. A few small things irked me, like the blatant 80's soundtrack seemed a little out of place.

There was a small child a few seats away from me. Who the hell thinks R-rated is good for anyone under say 13? This cute little girl was climbing all over her seat no less than half an hour in. Didn't distract me too much, I'm sure her dad will think twice next time. "Oh a comic book movie, kids like comics!"

I'll be looking to get my hands on the graphic novel now. Either wait until I'm in range of a Barnes & Noble or hit Amazon, haven't decided.

Maybe we should split Watchmen discussion into a new thread with spoilers and actual discussion? Can't get too in depth without ruining it (coming from a guy who didn't read it before).

Why'd the soundtrack irk you? It was in the 80s, so it fit.

I get that, it just felt very "throw in some popular 80's songs that everyone still knows today! yay almost retro!". Nena's 99 Luftbaloons stood out the most, just felt like a poor fit to me and it served to break the mood more than contradict it with a light happy song. I remember thinking it a few times and one of my friends I was with commented on it as well. But now that it's been a few hours I really don't remember any other songs, good or bad.

I'll be looking to get my hands on the graphic novel now. Either wait until I'm in range of a Barnes & Noble or hit Amazon, haven't decided.

Maybe we should split Watchmen discussion into a new thread with spoilers and actual discussion? Can't get too in depth without ruining it (coming from a guy who didn't read it before).

You should be able to pick it up at your library.

Yes, I'd say you should start another thread. That was my intention when I created this thread. We'd be able to talk about the word on the street prior to a movie coming out, then people could discuss it in more depth in a separate thread

Nena's 99 Luftbaloons stood out the most, just felt like a poor fit to me and it served to break the mood more than contradict it with a light happy song.

Musically, it's a happy song. Lyrically, it's an anti-war song, maybe even anti-nuclear. Supposedly, even more so in the German version.

I think the detachment you get from the series is done without justice in the movie. They touch on it briefly but it isn't cemented down like it is in the book. To me at least.

100% agree. John mentions a few times how he is 'confused' or 'doesn't understand' a few things that normal people would understand. Also he mentions "the last time he experienced fear" during the accident but that's pretty much it. I would think most people that see him just in the movie probably though he just came across as an aloof jerk who doesn't like people.

The thing with the soundtrack is that a lot of those songs were specifically mentioned in the comic so naturally they added them to the soundtrack. I have to admit that the musac of "everybody wants to rule the world" playing in Veidt's office made me laugh.

Oh yeah, let's start another thread since we've gotten into way too much detail here, d'oh. Any other Comic movies on the horizon? While not a comic movie per se, the new terminator trailer looked friggin sweet. Though I don't know how the story is going to be, and McG scares the living hell out of me.

Speaking of the soundtrack...

I kind of want to punch my self in the face for saying it, but the my chemical romance cover of Dylan's Desolation Row is pretty good (song over the credits). At first I thought it was a gritty 80's punk cover of it. I was shocked when I saw it was those kids.

Any other Comic movies on the horizon?

Wolverine's coming out in a month or so. The previews look good, but I don't like that Sabretooh has 2" hair.

Actually, something I'm optimistic about is they are in pre-production for Green Lantern. It still might fall through, but I've read Warners would like to turn it into a tent pole franchise.

If they stay with the age they want for Green Lantern and not the kid as rumoured, it should be good. Even if it's the Hal Jordan one.

There's also the JLA movie still up in the air, even though I think that's retarded and bound for failure. It's all right though, I don't want it more flooded with comic movies and we still have Spidey 4, Iron Man 2 and another Batman.

Edit: There's also talks to reboot the Fantastic Four movies, which is beyond retarded since it's only a couple years old. No matter how bad it was at parts, I'd be in it if they kept the guys who played Johnny and Ben.

...Alba? She made the first two worth seeing.

No, she made parts of them slightly less shitty with her body, but her acting and hair kept anything more than an eyebrow from raising.

I'll agree with mack on Torch and Thing. The only reason I can see them tapping Fantastic-4 is how well the second new-Hulk did after the first flop. They're in it to make money, not because someone came along who thinks they have a great F-4 script that could have been another sequel with the same group but the studio decides to revamp the series.

Now I'm all about comic book and superhero movies, but come the fuck on Hollywood. How about someone writes a superhero screenplay that's original so we're not slaughtering decades of backstory?

...Alba? She made the first two worth seeing.

No, she made parts of them slightly less shitty with her body, but her acting and hair kept anything more than an eyebrow from raising.

I'll agree with mack on Torch and Thing. The only reason I can see them tapping Fantastic-4 is how well the second new-Hulk did after the first flop. They're in it to make money, not because someone came along who thinks they have a great F-4 script that could have been another sequel with the same group but the studio decides to revamp the series.

Now I'm all about comic book and superhero movies, but come the fuck on Hollywood. How about someone writes a superhero screenplay that's original so we're not slaughtering decades of backstory?

I'd have Alba not be anywhere near this or any other film for that matter. She can't act and I'm in the whatever percentile that does not find her attractive at all. I'm all right with some reboots but not one of a movie series that's about four years old. Between this and the new Superman they want to do it's a bit much. Reboot Spider-Man with Adam Brody if you want because there's a crapload I think you can do with Spidey. X-Men as well. I still don't see how or why that was cut off, other than Brett Ratner getting his talentless little hands on it.

Mack, did you ever read the script for the Superman-Batman movie that was floating around the Net? I really liked it.

The quick synopsis is Bruce Wayne gets married. Joker murders his wife on wedding night. Superman prevents Batman from doing anything rash. The two become mortal enemies, with Batman utilizing Kryptonite in his costume. They kiss and make up when they have to fight the Joker and Lex.

I actually hadn't and if that was the story they went with I'd be all for it. After reading the Nic Cage Superman I avoid script-reading.

Ranger Danger?

After seeing Watchmen last night in Imax... wow. just wow. I never read into anything about the watchmen, just saw the movie and it was amazing. Rorschach is one of the coolest characters ive seen in a long time. And after seeing the Transformers trailor (OMFG) harry potter, star trek and the Terminator one, everyone of those must be seen in Imax. If you have never been to an Imax showing, pick on of those movies and see it. You wont regret it.

But make sure your first viewing of a movie isn't in IMAX because it's hard to catch everything. I made that mistake with ROTK and Matrix Revolutions.

Yes. It's a bit much to catch every little thing on something that large, so I've found it better to see it on a regular screen before an IMAX viewing. Plus the one in Nashville reeked of vomit.

I saw Watchmen and didn't think it had any endearing qualities. Even viewing it simply as a film without any consideration to the original work, I thought it was terrible.