Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gymmonster

Use of ringer players in beer league hockey in finals...

We lost 6-0 tonight.

They used their two ringer players again and they ID checked AFTER the game and proved that they were not eligible to play for the playoffs. The comish however did not DQ them because he said they had already celebrated their win. All he did was apologize for what happened...what a complete loadof BS

We lost 6-0 tonight.

They used their two ringer players again and they ID checked AFTER the game and proved that they were not eligible to play for the playoffs. The comish however did not DQ them because he said they had already celebrated their win. All he did was apologize for what happened...what a complete loadof BS

What a crappy league...

"because he said they had already celebrated their win."

that's the best part. Does that mean if they had just shaken your hands and skated off the rink, the league would have made them forfeit? Do you think he was worried about usa today and CNN printing frontpage pictures of them celebrating, with a tagline about them losing?

Depending on how well you/your gf know them, sometimes it just works to talk to players on the other team before the game. Sometimes if your friendly about it, and just joke around about that guy being way too good and it's not fair, the other team will rethink and tell the guy not to play that game. Other times they'll just say f-you, and let that dude run the score up.

And while I'm on all sorts of tangents, I get sort of annoyed by that "it's just beer league" idea. I know no one is getting paid, but if I wanted to play games with real loose rules and no standart of play, I'd go to pick up, or organize stuff with friends. The fun things about playing in these leagues is that they are leagues. Yeah, it's not 100% killtheotherguy serious, but I think with the money people are laying down comes that expectation of a little profesionalism from the league. Eh, what are you gonna do.

I can't understand A, players that do that B, A team that wants to win like that C,a league that allows it. I'd be pissed.

BTW, How do you have that many tiers? how many guys are in this league overall?

Sounds like theres a convincing argument to make a pitch for a new league too....

If it were me, I would have left going to the league as a last resort. I(in original poster's case have someone else so as not to upset the gf) would have gone to the other teams captain first. Let him know that if he brings the ringers in for the game, you'll call him on it. No need to get the league involved if it isn't necessary. Also, how is the talent discrepency from tier to tier. I would think in a 10 tier league, the teams in each division would be very evenly matched. Why did they feel the need to bring in ringers?

Yeah, the whole it is just beer league does not fly with me either. I agree it is not imporant, but people pay a lot of money to play and when people bring out ringers, it ruins the fun for both teams.

While it may just be beer leaugue, and who cares... it is a 2 way street. If it is just beer league and who cares, then why are the teams bringer out ringers. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the whole it is just beer league does not fly with me either. I agree it is not imporant, but people pay a lot of money to play and when people bring out ringers, it ruins the fun for both teams.

While it may just be beer leaugue, and who cares... it is a 2 way street. If it is just beer league and who cares, then why are the teams bringer out ringers. :rolleyes:

I agree, great points

If it were me, I would have left going to the league as a last resort. I(in original poster's case have someone else so as not to upset the gf) would have gone to the other teams captain first. Let him know that if he brings the ringers in for the game, you'll call him on it. No need to get the league involved if it isn't necessary. Also, how is the talent discrepency from tier to tier. I would think in a 10 tier league, the teams in each division would be very evenly matched. Why did they feel the need to bring in ringers?

There was a warning sent out after the 2nd game to the captains to not use ringers and ringers were still used.

Game 1 without using ringers we won 3-2

Game 2 we lost 3-1 with use of ringers

Game 3 we lost 6-0 with use of ringers

wow what a bunch of bs. I know how you feel man. That league is getting worse, how can you do an id check AFTER the game? Thats just stupid. That league is horrible. Our team got screwed over in the playoffs too cause of the league.

Same thing happened to us dude...we lost 15-2 in a league game haha. The other team brought 3 guys from the Quebec Major Junior this summer...these guys were incredible. One of them scored 5 goals and had 3 assists, the other 2 had 2 goals and a couple assists each (Our goalie kinda gave up after 7 goals...but these guys were really sick snipers). And on top of that these guys are like 18 years old...while most of our team is between 28-30 years old haha. A friend of mine that was playing a game after ours recognized those 3 players as he has played with them in the past...I just emailed the league manager and explained the situation. We're in Division 3 on about 22 divisions so it's still pretty good hockey but these guys definitely stood out.

He didn't erase the brutal beating we took but he moved the team up a division (no good to us I guess).

So I understand man!

I think the only thing worse than the other team bringing in ringers for the playoffs/finals would be MY team bringing in ringers for the playoffs/finals. If I bust ass to get there, I want to win or lose with the team that got me there. Not hand the keys over to someone who wasn't there for the season fight getting there. I would not celebrate that championship, wear the T-shirt, and would probably even turn my own team in for breaking the rules. Even if there wasn't a rule, I'd still say something. Respect and honor yourself, the game, and your opponents. Too bad your opponents didn't feel the same.

This type of thing has happened in every beer league/intramural league I've played in. I loved what an earlier poster said, that their league has photo IDs. More leagues should think of doing that.

I hear you. We had a similar thing going on with our playoffs. It's frustrating, but it seems that adult leagues are run pretty poorly.

I hear you. We had a similar thing going on with our playoffs. It's frustrating, but it seems that adult leagues are run pretty poorly.

In the AHA Jarick? I'm surprised if it was, it seems they take that kind of thing pretty seriously.

In the AHA Jarick? I'm surprised if it was, it seems they take that kind of thing pretty seriously.

In our championship AHA game, there were a lot more players on the other team than usual...mostly seemed like they were playing down a level. No idea if they were rostered or not. No big deal though, it's rec league. In the national tournament, it was an absolute crapshoot since the best players off teams that weren't invited could join others. We brought in two really good players, but both were from our same division at least. We got smoked by a couple teams out of nowhere, and we won our regular division title.

But like I said, it's rec league, I didn't lose any sleep. After that season, three of our guys got bumped up a level, and I know a lot of other teams were in the same boat. I'm really curious to see how it all plays out this year.

the team im currently playing on have been playing together for 5 years or so. More or less the same guys, some guys get hurt ( like myself ) and temporarily replaced or people skips seasons. Every once in a while when my team is doing badly there is some grumblings to pick up some ringers to make us better. I'm always against it. I dont want to win with guys who havent been there since the start.

This last season we went 4-10 or something like that, grumblings for ringers, we get into the playoffs and win it all. Its far more satisfying to win it all together then to have some dude no one knows come in and win it for you.

Other teams do it.. whatever, thats fine I dont care. I always target the ringers and make life miserable for them. Hack, slash, trip, stick to the nuts, elbow in the ribs... go back to your own team.