Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Hey OTG,

I wouldn't sweat it about network54...it is a dog's breakfast at best. That site regulary trashes kids, coaches, and well everything under the sun.

At various times they have attcked profiling, powerskating/skating instruction, various organisations, getting your kid decent skates...it just goes on and on.

Anyhow, my guy is loving it, and is skating better than ever. Infact, I am on my way to have my skates done.

Keep your chin up!

Sounds like the Toronto version of MLive.

And the Boston version of Dboard! They trash everything, but mostly talk about MILFs

Edited by jimmy

Had the FBV 90/75 put on my 8090s up in Oakville a few weeks ago. I'm impressed with the glide and edging capabilities on turns, but I've noticed

something that did not happen with my normal 3/4 ROH. I've skated 3 times since the FBV and the back of my blades seem to fishtail a bit, almost like the back of the blade has no edge at all. Possible that my skating technique has taken off the "75" edge already on the back of the blade or could it be a pitch problem combined with the FBV ?

I just got some Velocity Steps from Bob at the same FBV, so I may change out the blades to see if the fishtailing stops. Not sure if anyone can help, but thought I'd throw this out there.

I just installed the new blades I got from Bob, and I will report back after a skate tonight. I understand the skepticism and what my local sharpener meant when he said, "There's nothing there!" However, I think they're going to be awesome. On looks alone, it is weird, I will admit. I trust the people on here who say they like it.

Interesting you mention the "fishtale". I have had the same feeling, typically when coasting in a straight line at low speed such as coasting to the bench or line up for faceoff. Never felt it during play...

What I really find interesting with FBV is that since I have tried different ROH, I know the great glide for a 3/4 or so. ... and also know that bite in the corners would be minimal for me with normal fat ROH. Adjusting to FBV requires a "leap of faith" that the steel will bite when heading at high speed into a turn.

Had the FBV 90/75 put on my 8090s up in Oakville a few weeks ago. I'm impressed with the glide and edging capabilities on turns, but I've noticed

something that did not happen with my normal 3/4 ROH. I've skated 3 times since the FBV and the back of my blades seem to fishtail a bit, almost like the back of the blade has no edge at all. Possible that my skating technique has taken off the "75" edge already on the back of the blade or could it be a pitch problem combined with the FBV ?

I just got some Velocity Steps from Bob at the same FBV, so I may change out the blades to see if the fishtailing stops. Not sure if anyone can help, but thought I'd throw this out there.

Lefty, had the same issue on the first sharpening but on the second one it isnt an issue. I believe it may take the 2nd sharpening to have the blades set up properly. I will also have the guys do a couple other passes when changing a sharpening from a "normal" to FBV.

Lefty, had the same issue on the first sharpening but on the second one it isnt an issue. I believe it may take the 2nd sharpening to have the blades set up properly. I will also have the guys do a couple other passes when changing a sharpening from a "normal" to FBV.

If the feedback on this stays like it has been, FBV will be considered a "normal" sharpening very soon.

Well, I tried the 90/75 tonight...OMG ! The glide is ridiculous. I skated with my son for 3 hours! Now that would normally mean exhaustion and knee pain for me, none at all with the FBV. The edges seemed a fair bit sharper than my normal 3/4" cut, but man oh man do they cut ice.

Okay this is seriously fun. B)

Now SHHHHHHHH...I really want to keep this a secret!

Edited by Jordan

I got to try my FBV blades last night. They were awesome, I got to pucks that I never usually get to. Which leads me to ask, what do I do on a breakaway? I really like the glide, but I need the shallower cut. I had way too much edge, felt like I was going to bust an ankle. At one point someone chirped at me for letting up going into the corner, my reply was "I was afraid I was going straight through the boards!"

Thanks Bob (and Steve), sharpening came out great!

hehe. I had the same thing last night.(going into the boards) What was cool was the next time I got the balls enough not to back off and was blown away it was like being on a set of rails.

I've found depending on what hollow is in the skate before the first FBV will dictate how many passes it will take to put the FBV in. Fist time, I'm averaging 10 passes (5 against the rotation) and that seem to work well. Skates like Mission or Rockets may need near 20 passes. I watch the flame and railroad tracks on the stone, when the tracks go away, you're halfway there. When the FBV is in, you'll get a nice thick solid flame at the stone. I think if someone is fishtailing, the shape is not in the stone all the way.

Hey OTG,

I wouldn't sweat it about network54...it is a dog's breakfast at best. That site regulary trashes kids, coaches, and well everything under the sun.

At various times they have attcked profiling, powerskating/skating instruction, various organisations, getting your kid decent skates...it just goes on and on.

Anyhow, my guy is loving it, and is skating better than ever. Infact, I am on my way to have my skates done.

Keep your chin up!

Must have been your guys first visit to N54 if he thought it a good place to start a discussion thread on this sharpening method OTG. You got off easy, try switching teams as a 10 year old and having adults rip the kid annonomously. My son still comes home from school and asks if anyone wrote anything about him-truly sad. Classmates misguided parents allow their kids to read that site. Parents have challenged each other to fight on that site without the thread being locked. Best to let the thread on N54 die off, nothing positive ever comes from threads there.

The OMHA forum requires a registered nick, far more civil and informative. Some very good sharpeners frequent the Pro Shop forum there-may be a better site to reach hockey parents in Ontario.

The guy who did our skates at National Sports Hwy7-Keele (Concord?)store was knowledgable-followed our blades profile carefully if any Toronto west members are looking to try this cut. I ran powerskating class last night so had a chance to really experiment. Anyone doubting the effect on 'glide' try this; Backwards, seated glide. I thought I noticed the skate glide in my normal stride, definetly feel it one 1 leg elevated glides btw B-lines....but the seated glide frontwards and backwards really shows this cuts impact on drag/resistance.

Hey OTG,

Keep your chin up!

Must have been your guys first visit to N54 if he thought it a good place to start a discussion thread on this sharpening method OTG. You got off easy, try switching teams as a 10 year old and having adults rip the kid annonomously. My son still comes home from school and asks if anyone wrote anything about him-truly sad. Classmates misguided parents allow their kids to read that site. Parents have challenged each other to fight on that site without the thread being locked. Best to let the thread on N54 die off, nothing positive ever comes from threads there.

The OMHA forum requires a registered nick, far more civil and informative. Some very good sharpeners frequent the Pro Shop forum there-may be a better site to reach hockey parents in Ontario.

The guy who did our skates at National Sports Hwy7-Keele (Concord?)store was knowledgable-followed our blades profile carefully if any Toronto west members are looking to try this cut. I ran powerskating class last night so had a chance to really experiment. Anyone doubting the effect on 'glide' try this; Backwards, seated glide. I thought I noticed the skate glide in my normal stride, definetly feel it one 1 leg elevated glides btw B-lines....but the seated glide frontwards and backwards really shows this cuts impact on drag/resistance.

Well that's really great to hear you liked it. And glad to hear the staff was helpful. If you wouldn't mind passing that on the office via the website that would be greatly appreciated. And please let others know about it and the benefits you have felt.

Any word of people around the lower mainland of British Columbia, or Vancouver Island offering this? I was going to send my blades away to "Canoebears" (MSH member) who's here in BC, but I'm leaving to visit family on the island for Xmas tomorrow and haven't heard from him yet. Thanks, SAK.

I don't think so yet. We have been getting quite a few calls about it however. Canoebear would probably be the one. Sorry I did not get back to you earlier, my wife broke her leg playing hockey. Very timely around Christmas.

I skated on the FBV for the first time tonight and while I liked the extra glide, I think I need to go back to the drawing board.

I was getting WAY too much bite on the edges... It was a lot harder to stop and it felt like the edge grabbed too much ice. On skating exercises such as forward one foot power pulls, I found it very difficult to transition from one edge to another.

I *think* what I am experiencing is too much bite... Almost like I prefer the shallower hollow concept, but don't need the extra bite the FBV provides. Does that make sense? Perhaps I need more time on them, but I felt like I was going to kill myself out there.

I plan to discuss my options with my sharpener tomorrow. I have the equivalent of a 5/8 FBV.

I skated on the FBV for the first time tonight and while I liked the extra glide, I think I need to go back to the drawing board.

I was getting WAY too much bite on the edges... It was a lot harder to stop and it felt like the edge grabbed too much ice. On skating exercises such as forward one foot power pulls, I found it very difficult to transition from one edge to another.

I *think* what I am experiencing is too much bite... Almost like I prefer the shallower hollow concept, but don't need the extra bite the FBV provides. Does that make sense? Perhaps I need more time on them, but I felt like I was going to kill myself out there.

I plan to discuss my options with my sharpener tomorrow. I have the equivalent of a 5/8 FBV.

I am wondering if you accidentally got the 100/75 and not the 95/75.

I dont get that feeling at all. I coach with a guy that played for the Flames and he just loves it. He wished he had it back when he played! We were just gliding and talking and I asked how he licked it and we just kept gliding...he started laughing....

My normal cut is 9/16... Not exactly sure what FBV it is. I will check and post tomorrow...

I think it's just the wrong FBV for me... Like oldtrainerguy said...

Don't sweat it, it will probably be great the next time your out. It just takes some getting use to. Try diving into some corners, its cool how it feels like you speed up however you have the bite to handle it.

Don't sweat it, it will probably be great the next time your out. It just takes some getting use to. Try diving into some corners, its cool how it feels like you speed up however you have the bite to handle it.

Wasn't it mentioned earlier that the bite should feel the same, you'd just get to keep the same level of bite with the glide of a much shallower hollow?