Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

OK, so I read this whole thread, and am definately interested in ordering one of Blackstones portables. I went to their site, and see a place for entering contact info for pre orders, but I don't see any info at all about the fbv. So I have just a few questions, does either Blackstone portable come with the FBV, or does it just come with a "standard" cutting spinner. I am just a little confused as to what is included.

Also I couldn't help but notice JR's comment about "Well stay tuned" a few posts back, does that refer to the post about the cost of the team sharpener?

Edited by chrisg19

I have also read the entire thread and had a couple questions.

1. Does anyone know the estimated priice on the FBV? I know SAK said it was expensive.

2. X01 or X02 What is the main difference. I would probably be sharpening between 5-15 pairs a week.

I have also read the entire thread and had a couple questions.

1. Does anyone know the estimated priice on the FBV? I know SAK said it was expensive.

2. X01 or X02 What is the main difference. I would probably be sharpening between 5-15 pairs a week.

X02 has an upgraded motor. It will run at a higher rpm.

ok, cool. Did you have to request it because I don't see it listed for the Replacement Mini Spinners under the accessories tab?

Mine is not a mini. It's a hybrid of the regular portale spinner and the turbo motor. This thing rocks. But will sure get a mini XO2 once it's available in European voltage for my other location

Edited by Ivan

A lot of us used the FBV tonight at the MSH skate. My personal impression; absolutely amazing. The glide was absolutely amazing, especially considering the fact that I still had as much edge as I could possibly want for stopping or turning. I got to a number of pucks just because of the added speed while gliding. A couple guys were frustrated tonight as they fell in love but there isn't anyone close to them who can provide the FBV.

Haha; that was a highlight reel goal.

I was actually pretty interested in giving the FBV a whirl but was, as you alluded to, too afraid of falling in love with it and being SOL with the second-rate sharpenings I'm stuck with up at school.

I got to a number of pucks

Did I show up at the wrong rink?

No way I get to that deflection without the FBV.

I put 4 of my teammates on FBV's. In all cases, they were faster by leaps and bounds. One older, good but overweight player, was able to pull off 3 breakaways, something he was never able to do before. The only downside to the FBV is once everyone gets it, then we are all even again until the next breakthrough.

I got the FBV with 5/8" edges from Jimmy done by mail. Normally I skate on 3/4" hollow. I was amazed when I skated on them the 1st time last night. Basically one push and you just glide across the ice. The feeling is just smooth and effortless. I'll definitely be sticking with this and the crappy sharpeners in my area just lost my business.

I got the FBV with 5/8" edges from Jimmy done by mail. Normally I skate on 3/4" hollow. I was amazed when I skated on them the 1st time last night. Basically one push and you just glide across the ice. The feeling is just smooth and effortless. I'll definitely be sticking with this and the crappy sharpeners in my area just lost my business.

So what I am hearing from you guys is....I should have more of my stores with the FBV sharpening?? Who is on the GTA or Ontario???

I can do

London

Barrie

Brampton

Markham (has it already)

Concord (has it already)

Oakville (has it already)

Mississauga (Dundas Location)

Cambridge (coming in Feb)

Whitby (coming in Feb)

And possibly more next year....

Hands up if you want it??

Hey Jimmy,

Which FBV did you go with ?

I haven't tried it yet, not enough steel height left on my skates to clamp in the holder. I'll be getting new steel soon, but will try the 100/75 when I can because I like lots of bite.. Of my 4 teamates, two tried the 90/75, one loved it and said it was perfect for him, he normally skates on a 5/8 hollow. The other loved it but wanted more bite, so I just moved him to the 100/75. His normal hollow was 17/32. The other two I put on the 100/75 and they both loved it, one was on a 7/16 and the other on a 15/32 hollow so that made sense that they liked the FBV with more bite. Of my other "testers" who agreed to "experiment, all pretty much liked what I picked for them. I tried to get the high school kids to try it but the last two weeks they were all trying out and no one wanted to make any changes till they made the team.

Irbinaid, glad you lied it!

OTG...I think that it won't be long before this becomes a standard request from those who are keen about hockey.

I am in Toronto...Markham is the closest for me in the existing list (they need a new 100/75 spinner though). Wishing you could get it to the Yonge and Sheppard location - guessing that they don't have a Blackstone.

Anyhow...had my son try the 95/75 (I think?) when the 100/75 wasn't available. He felt it to be a little too slippery, but I have to tell that I don't think that has ever skated better or more fluidly.

I do have one question for you though about profile: If a skater tends to slip a little in his stride as he reaches the toe flick, is there anything that he could change in the profile, that would help this?

Also, have you noticed any changes to profile that compliment or generally go well with the change to FBV ?

Thanks

Jordan,

You may want to rock him abit forward. Does not sound like it is a condition of sharpening, I think your correct in thinking it is the rocker.

By the way I had a great time. Hope you all enjoyed it and I did not screw anyones skates up.

So what I am hearing from you guys is....I should have more of my stores with the FBV sharpening?? Who is on the GTA or Ontario???

I can do

London

Barrie

Brampton

Markham (has it already)

Concord (has it already)

Oakville (has it already)

Mississauga (Dundas Location)

Cambridge (coming in Feb)

Whitby (coming in Feb)

And possibly more next year....

Hands up if you want it??

Hand is WAY up on behalf of all Hamiltonian players....

Jordan Posted Today, 07:12 PM

OTG...I think that it won't be long before this becomes a standard request from those who are keen about hockey.

I am in Toronto...Markham is the closest for me in the existing list (they need a new 100/75 spinner though). Wishing you could get it to the Yonge and Sheppard location - guessing that they don't have a Blackstone.

Anyhow...had my son try the 95/75 (I think?) when the 100/75 wasn't available. He felt it to be a little too slippery, but I have to tell that I don't think that has ever skated better or more fluidly.

I do have one question for you though about profile: If a skater tends to slip a little in his stride as he reaches the toe flick, is there anything that he could change in the profile, that would help this?

Also, have you noticed any changes to profile that compliment or generally go well with the change to FBV ?

Thanks

The McCowan location would be the most convenient for me followed by Yonge and Sheppard. As far as the FBV in general my impression was the glide was fantastic, but I'll need to get used to the edges for turning with the 5/8" that was put on since I usually skate on 7/8. I found that when I went to make sharp cuts and turns where I usually have to dig in a little my edges grabbed the ice a lot more...once I make the adjustment and don't dig in as much I think it'll be great. And if I do head up to Markham for my next sharpening what's the equivalent to 5/8" with the FBV system again? (I believe that's the shallowest that can be done with the system).

Edited by althoma1

Jordan Posted Today, 07:12 PM

Thanks

The McCowan location would be the most convenient for me followed by Yonge and Sheppard. As far as the FBV in general my impression was the glide was fantastic, but I'll need to get used to the edges for turning with the 5/8" that was put on since I usually skate on 7/8. I found that when I went to make sharp cuts and turns where I usually have to dig in a little my edges grabbed the ice a lot more...once I make the adjustment and don't dig in as much I think it'll be great. And if I do head up to Markham for my next sharpening what's the equivalent to 5/8" with the FBV system again? (I believe that's the shallowest that can be done with the system).

If I am not mistaken as the numbers are a little confusing sometimes...LOL I am pretty sure it is the 75/95?

I dont have the chart in front of me at the moment but if you look at the chart on the counter it is the one below the 75/100.

Hamilton is due for a new machine however unless Mcowan gets renovated it is unlikely they will get one there.

Had mine done up in Oakville - I normally skate on 3/4, so the closest FBV equivalent was 90/75. I've only skated once, but I concur with your comments about the superb glide. I didn't notice the difference in the cuts and turns though. Thumbs up overall !