Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I'm wondering if there's any data out there for time trials or other info.

I remember when the speed skaters started using clap skates, they could take like 3 seconds off a 1500m race. Is there any similar data for FBV blades vs. hollowed ones?

Actually there is testing being done at the University of Ottawa. The results have not been handed to us yet however the Professor who is doing the testing said they were very positive results. Similar to what people are finding who are using it. When we get more qualitative results I will post it.

When are you setting up the Whitby store OTG?....we'll be first ones in-getting to Vaughan while working is tricky ;)

I'm running classes at Legends on Fridays, we'll send the kids down and get the word out when your ready.

I really wish someone would get this around Vancouver! I'm dying to try it out, but can't think of when I'll be off the ice long enough to mail out my steel.

You could buy a second set of steel.

SAK:

Just a quick question... We're saying that 90/75 has the bite of a 5/8 ROH. How about the glide? What ROH what that be equivalent to?

Thanks!

Approximately a 2" ROH for glide and a 5/8 hollow for cutting.

Go to bed Steve, it'll be there in the morning :)

Just finnishing up dealing with the west coasters and getting tucked in!

When are you setting up the Whitby store OTG?....we'll be first ones in-getting to Vaughan while working is tricky ;)

I'm running classes at Legends on Fridays, we'll send the kids down and get the word out when your ready.

We could do a team meeting and evaluate the teams skating and try a couple kids at random and see what they say!

As I have my portable.

We could do a team meeting and evaluate the teams skating and try a couple kids at random and see what they say!

As I have my portable.

That's a generous offer OTG, my son is not playing out here now-he's in the G so its not his team practice. The Friday ice is private power skating/hockey skills, kids from numerous Durham teams. That may work better for you as the kids would all be going back to their assorted Whitby & Oshawa teams talking about the FBV grind. I'll see if we have a few volunteers and then check your fri schedules.....Legends arena has a Pro Shop/sharpener I will have to clear this with.

Has anyone noticed the difference in the lack of sound as the FBV skates go over the ice compared to a "normal" ROH skate? I have been at ice level and when the FBV skates go by there is no sound of biting chipping ice etc when the player is "gliding" and then when they turn in the corners, the blades just seam to rip through the ice. I have done many skates on two of my sons teams with the 90/75 FBV and several with the 100/75 and it is amazing. Comments?

I think that is the whole point of the flat bottom, to not make a sound. The sound you hear is the edges digging into the ice with the traditional hollow but with the flat bottom the edges don't dig in. I don't think that you would hear a sound if you heard somebody skating by with a traditional ROH of 2".

I received my new runners from Bob today - and was so exciting to put them on my skates and going to afternoon drop-in - only to realize they won't fit my Vapor 30s. Damn you Hockeygiant's incorrect sizing chart!!! :angry:

I also just recieved a few new sets of steel from Bob. I have been eagerly awaiting to try my 5/8 FBV with a combo radius he did for me. Had time to install them today but won't be able to try them out till Sunday, It will be along two days. :(

So I got some replacement steel for my new ultra g5 graf / Cobra nt5000 runners. I installed, carefull not to over tighten them. However the steel feels thinner than the original and there is some play left to right. Should I be concerned?

BTW I got the FBV 1/2inch with cobo radius.

Edited by acqant

So I got some replacement steel for my new ultra g5 graf / Cobra nt5000 runners. I installed, carefull not to over tighten them. However the steel feels thinner than the original and there is so play left to right. Should I be concerned?

BTW I got the FBV 1/2inch with cobo radius.

I put the original steel back on it "fits right" I'll see what's up with Bob, the receipt said graf steel 07, maybe they have 08??

I received my new runners from Bob today - and was so exciting to put them on my skates and going to afternoon drop-in - only to realize they won't fit my Vapor 30s. Damn you Hockeygiant's incorrect sizing chart!!! :wacko:

Sizing charts are often wrong. The only proper way to size is to get the actual 3-digit number that's on your holder.

Companies like NBH can be wrong too.

NBH 10.5D Vapor, 288 holder... Vapor 10.5E, 296 holder.

NBH 10.5D one95, 288 holder... it should be 296 but the kept the one90/vapor sizing instead of considering that the skate is wider.

I got lucky, the custom skates I bought had a 296 holder on it. :D

Got my FBV blades back from Bob yesterday. Went to the local outdoor rink last night along with some other dads to take on some high school kids and test out the new FBV sharpening.

I got going good and fast, real fast, and got tangled up with the boards and a fence behind the net and ended up with 4 stitches above my eye, all within 5 minutes after we started. My arm got wedged between the fence and the boards (there is about a 4-5" gap between the two) which brought me to a grinding halt, leaving my face to take on the edge of the boards. Boards won.

For the short time I actually did skate on them, I was very happy. I came from a 1" hollow and found no problem with the 5/8" edge on these. In fact I actually preferred it given the extra glide of the 2" and having the ability to cut easier without sacrificing my speed. (But that is also why I now have 4 stitches and a lovely black eye!) The glide was also very smooth and fast.

This FBV thing seems to be what I was always hoping I could get out of my regular sharpenings.

I'll be sending my other sets to Bob and sticking with the FBV.

I finally got the chance to try my new 5/8 FBV from Bob toady. All I can say is WOW. I read this thread over and over again and reading peoples responses to the FBV before deciding to try it. I was not sure what to expect when I stepped on the the ice today. From the first step I was able to tell the glide was way faster than my usual 9/16 cut. I was truly amazed at how much faster I was going even on crappy ice near the end of a public session.The first time I stopped on them I had a little bit of chatter on my right skate but that was the only time. I am not sure if it was related to the FBV cut or just getting used to the combo radius that Bob gave me. I didn't have any problem trusting the edge at all since I had already moved to a 5/8 cut (At least that is what I requested at my LHS) on the skates I use for when I am coaching my sons practices.

I had also got a set with 9/16 ROH and a combo radius just in case I would have trouble adjusting to the FBV but I may just send the 9/16 ones back to Bob to get the FBV. I am not sure if the LS2s that I replaced can even be salvaged. I have never had any kind of radiusing or profiling done on them and the locals here butchered them pretty good, they removed alot of the toe and rear, kinda banana like. I'll send them back and see if Bob can do anything with them. I have a game Tuesday night so that will be the first time I can use the FBV's in a game. Again, I never would have found out about the FBV if it weren't for this forum. Thanks MSH.

I've used the FBV in my games for the last month now, and I certainly won't go back - however, I have noticed as others have that the sharpening doesn't last nearly as long as a "standard" sharp. I'd estimate 1/3rd the time - I'd normally go about 15 games before a sharp, and now I need to go every 5.

Still, its rare to have an opportunity to throw money at a talent deficiency, so this is a small price to pay. I'll just keep buying the sharpening pass from National sports. This has to be a win/win for the LHS's that have the FBV, because by coming in more often, I'll most likely end up buying more impulse gear. Bah!

I've used the FBV in my games for the last month now, and I certainly won't go back - however, I have noticed as others have that the sharpening doesn't last nearly as long as a "standard" sharp. I'd estimate 1/3rd the time - I'd normally go about 15 games before a sharp, and now I need to go every 5.

Still, its rare to have an opportunity to throw money at a talent deficiency, so this is a small price to pay. I'll just keep buying the sharpening pass from National sports. This has to be a win/win for the LHS's that have the FBV, because by coming in more often, I'll most likely end up buying more impulse gear. Bah!

Thats great you you want to come back and buy more but I would really try to skate more games. Also ask the guys to do a couple extra passes or PM me and let me know what store to suggest some other methods to enhance what your getting now!

Your experience is odd, we've found that skaters are actually getting more interval between sharpenings. There are so many variables involved, so it's kind of hard to actually quantify, I guess time will tell. As for my customers (another 82 converted this week) I haven't had anyone come in earlier for re-sharpening (although that would be nice for $$$ in my pocket) than usual.

Got my FBV blades back from Bob yesterday. Went to the local outdoor rink last night along with some other dads to take on some high school kids and test out the new FBV sharpening.

I got going good and fast, real fast, and got tangled up with the boards and a fence behind the net and ended up with 4 stitches above my eye, all within 5 minutes after we started. My arm got wedged between the fence and the boards (there is about a 4-5" gap between the two) which brought me to a grinding halt, leaving my face to take on the edge of the boards. Boards won.

For the short time I actually did skate on them, I was very happy. I came from a 1" hollow and found no problem with the 5/8" edge on these. In fact I actually preferred it given the extra glide of the 2" and having the ability to cut easier without sacrificing my speed. (But that is also why I now have 4 stitches and a lovely black eye!) The glide was also very smooth and fast.

This FBV thing seems to be what I was always hoping I could get out of my regular sharpenings.

I'll be sending my other sets to Bob and sticking with the FBV.

We've renamed the FBV, the UFB! Un (you insert word here) Believable! Oh, ... Fence?? That's so 1970's!