Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Hey guys,

Bought an X01 last year and just changed the grinding wheel for the first time today. Original wheel was orange and the other wheel that came with the purchase was ruby.

So anyway, I put the ruby wheel on today and attempted to sharpen a set of skates....and let's just say, it didn't go too well. With barely any pressure on the skate, sparks were flying and a loud grinding noise took over. I shut off the machine quickly to reveal the following:

04OE7Am.jpg

2NDt8ge.jpg

MusxeHz.jpg

As you can see, the skate sharpened the wheel instead of the other way around. The wheel now has a deep indent in it and the skate blade is rounded the wrong way.

Has anyone had this happen before? Could it be a wheel gone bad (i.e. too soft)?

Will be calling BlackStone tomorrow, but figured I'd post here tonight to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!

I couldn't fit the new Bauer skates (size 8) onto my holder.

Didn't have this problem with any other skates, but the white holder bit on the skate is too big for some reason.

I ended up having to detach the blades and clamping them on without the boots.

On another note, I have another question.

Most folks here redress the wheels based on the "sound". I've noticed that after a pair or two, the wheel gets a bit dirty and uneven. I would then redress, and it would clean off the dark bits on the apex of the wheel and make it more even. Is that a good time to redress or too late?

bash - That's a bad wheel alright. Blackstone must have a batch of bad ones because I had an issue, and I've heard others with the same problem. Give them a call and they'll send you out a new wheel. I didn't bother with the ruby wheels anymore, they can't be trusted in my opinion. I went back to orange and all is well.

I should also ask, I didn't bother setting up a ventilation system because I found an open working area with outlets and cover from rain.

In this case, would a N95 mask and a fan blowing the steel dust away from me be sufficient to keep hazardous materials away?

It sure looks like a bad wheel to me.

bash - That's a bad wheel alright. Blackstone must have a batch of bad ones because I had an issue, and I've heard others with the same problem. Give them a call and they'll send you out a new wheel. I didn't bother with the ruby wheels anymore, they can't be trusted in my opinion. I went back to orange and all is well.

Yup, thanks guys. Blackstone confirmed that it was a soft wheel and sent me a new orange one right away. Great service! And now, back to sharpening! :)

Can someone Plz explain the differences between all the different kinds of wheels use to sharpen skates. Ruby being the most common for overall value and performance is the only one I really know. Need to get some new wheels for my X02 and am kinda bummed looking at the 8" wheels that I can't get a Black, Cobalt Blue or Walnut wheel to try in a 4" size. I currently have 1 ruby with about a 3rd of a centimeter of usable stone left and a barely used pink wheel. Trying to decide if I should try an Orange out or stick with the Rubies. Thanx

JR, I can't find the thread (I could be imagining it, lol) but I thought I remember you alluding to blackstone possibly coming out with a new generation of the x-series portables? If so, is this a near-term release?

I get mine next week.

It's not on the site yet.

• Like 1

I see, so it is a more traditional squaring device then? Not that I have anything against the Bat Gauge I use, but I think a more traditional device is a good way to go.

Now...if I only understood how the HDI (?) gauge worked...

Zach

I see, so it is a more traditional squaring device then? Not that I have anything against the Bat Gauge I use, but I think a more traditional device is a good way to go.

Now...if I only understood how the HDI (?) gauge worked...

Zach

HDI -- Clamp it on the blade, push the copper (?) piece all the way to one side, turn the face of the dial so that 0 sits at exactly where the needle is, move the slider all the way to the other side, and discover how far off your one edge is from the other, in thousandths (?) of an inch.

Here is the new Butterfly Gauge - the squaring device is the same one that has been offered by Blackstone, however, the angle is what is different. It's a hardened aluminum that is score-proof and still works on similar squaring devices.

bsbg.jpg

bsbg3.jpg

bsbg4.jpg

bg3.jpg

bsbg2.jpg

The TefTop Puck is also new - 1/3 of the bottle should last a week for high volume use. You squirt it onto the pad and rub it onto the table.

bstt3.jpg

bstt.jpg

bstt1.jpg

bstt2.jpg

Here is the new Butterfly Gauge - the squaring device is the same one that has been offered by Blackstone, however, the angle is what is different. It's a hardened aluminum that is score-proof and still works on similar squaring devices.

Perhaps you meant "Blademaster" instead of "Blackstone" above?

@JR - Have you used it enough to be able to comment on how well the claim of anti-scoring holds true? If it's still scores, I don't need one right now, if it doesn't score, I want one ASAP.

Edited by AfftonDad

No. I meant Blackstone. They used to offer this in the catalogue years ago with an angle similar to BM's

Customskateworks has been using it for the past month and can't out a dent on it. This angle is very solid - I can't see how it could be scored.