Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I just got back from my first time out with an FBV sharpening and all I can say is WOW! I got 100/50...I think, it's whatever is closest to 1/2 inch. Been weeks since I got it done but haven't had time to get on the ice and I forget what I got. I'm very very average at skating, so the differences were pretty clear. I noticed a lot more glide and was able to carry more speed. Edges seemed about the same, like a nicely broken in 1/2". I wasn't sliding out or feeling like I was digging in too much. Another big plus is actually having a quality sharpening. I hadn't noticed how off my previous ones were until going to this new place. I'm a very happy convert, and I'm never going back to a normal hollow unless it's unavoidable.

Just bought an XO1 a few weeks ago. I noticed that I am not getting a smooth finish on the blade. Basically, there are lines/grooves going parallel on the skate. I have even edges though. I noticed my spinner is barely moving when dressing the wheel. Are the lines a result of the spinner not moving freely? And, if so, how do I get it loosen up?

The wavy grooves are due to doing your final pass too quickly. Your final pass should take at least 5 seconds to do. Also, it is not entirely necessary for the spinner to spin all that much. I've had no problem establishing a fairly consistent hollow on my X-01, with the spinner moving only slightly for each dress.

Or you can go on YouTube and do a 24-second final like I did.

Seriously though, is the wheel new? I notice whenever I switch out wheels, I need to get into the meat of the wheel to get a good finish. I dress it and wear it down slightly.

ok I'm confused is the spinner suppose to be spinning freely when dressing the wheel ? My spinner does not spin at all.

thanks

It should definitely spin some - exactly how much seems to have some variability, but it should definitely move. You should probably ring Steve and Blackstone and get his official opinion about exactly how much. But there is definitely a consensus that it should spin some and several people have improved their surface finish by altering the spring washer and allowing the spinner to spin a bit more freely.

Today I also took a little tension off that wavy washer. I just left it on the screw and pressed it slightly in a vise, worked out fine and definately helped in getting a cleaner finish. Less lines and smoother finish for sure. Thanks for the idea to those who suggested it.

Hey guys I'm looking for a little help. I tried the 100/50 last night and I had major issues stopping. My previous steel was a conventional hollow 1/2. Is that normal? I'm a semi-decent skater and my edges seemed to catch when I tried to stop when I had any kind of speed. Any advice other than skating on them more? thanks.

Hey guys I'm looking for a little help. I tried the 100/50 last night and I had major issues stopping. My previous steel was a conventional hollow 1/2. Is that normal? I'm a semi-decent skater and my edges seemed to catch when I tried to stop when I had any kind of speed. Any advice other than skating on them more? thanks.

Maybe try 90/75 or 90/50? Less bite might help your stopping a bit.

I'm going to give it one more go tonight and see what happens. I just found a local rink that does the fbv and I'm going to get 90/75 on my other set of steel. thanks.

Yes, both my son and I have tried both.

I found that the 90/75 was perfect for me; felt the most like 3/4 ROH that I used to skate on. Personally, I found the 90/50 far too slippery, although the glide was spectacular.

On the other hand, my son who has tried, 100/75, 90/75 and 90/50 is addicted to 90/50. The guys at the hockey shop, always ask "are you sure?" when we ask for 90/50 on his small skates (he is a 10 year old AAA player). He won't change, prefers everything about it, and skates spectacularly on this cut.

So, I don't think that there is a preferred choice, or a correct translation to traditional ROHs. I thnk that you really have to try them, and find your personal preference.

in Edit: just saw that you wrote "95/75 and 95/50" as opposed to what I commented on...are these new spinners??? If so, NEVER MIND!

Edited by Jordan

Tried 90/75 because I was on it early and it was stated it was equal to 3/4", one skate and I knew it felt deeper. It felt more like 5/8" so when it became available I changed to 90/50... That feels shallower than 3/4". It's definitely hurting my agility but I haven't gone back to 90/75... But I will.

Edited by TBLfan

in Edit: just saw that you wrote "95/75 and 95/50" as opposed to what I commented on...are these new spinners??? If so, NEVER MIND!

Yeah, they're new. I've tried all of the other spinners, and I like the 100/50 so far. I just wish it had a little less edge to it. The 90/75 doesn't have quite enough edge for me. I'm hoping that these new spinners will bridge the gap between the 100/50 and the 90/75.

Good news for X01 and X02 owners. I just got off the phone with Gerard at Blackstone and they are definitely releasing two new grinding wheels for the X series machines - the ruby and pink. Ruby was described as a multi-grit wheel and the pink is described as a fine grit wheel. I would assume they are probably the same compositions as the bigger wheels, for those that are familiar with them. I'm told I will be the first to get the new wheels, so I'll report back on the performance once I get them mounted. Right now, they only have just a few on hand, but they are expecting full stock and general release in about a month or so.

RUBY!!!!!!!!!!

So I can take that as an endorsement of the ruby wheel performance? :) I have a couple of each coming to try out. Gerard gave me the impression the pink was finer and since I only do two people's skates and we're pretty frequent sharpeners, I was hoping I could get away with the finest wheel and get the best possible surface finish that way. What's your experience with the finish quality between the two?

Ruby has better cutting on stainless, lasts longer and the difference finish-wise is a toss-up. Pink is better suited for the carbon steel/figure crowd, although can be used on stainless.

I've wanted ruby on X02 since day one. Thanks, Steve!

Ruby has better cutting on stainless, lasts longer and the difference finish-wise is a toss-up. Pink is better suited for the carbon steel/figure crowd, although can be used on stainless.

I've wanted ruby on X02 since day one. Thanks, Steve!

Very good to know - thank you! I'm hoping both new wheels will give a better finish than that standard orange wheel? I just don't care for that one at all - seems to coarse and too quickly worn out.

Totally. I mean, for a consumer, orange is great as it cuts so hard, but I do my best work on ruby.

That's exactly the problem, orange just cuts way too much. I have a pretty soft touch, but its still very hard to take as light a pass as I would like and it rarely takes me more than 3-4 passes with the orange wheel to complete the job. Looking forward to the control I'll get with a finer wheel. Awesome feedback, thank you.

Totally. I mean, for a consumer, orange is great as it cuts so hard, but I do my best work on ruby.

Ruby has always been my preference as well. Looks like I'll be putting in an order on pay day.

Hey guys, it is true that we have some ruby and fine pink wheels. We are in a testing situation and are going to put a large order in if they work out. I will tell you that the ruby cuts cooler than the orange and you get a wicked finish. Sorry for the premature release it was not our intention and Gerrard has recieved 50 lashes. B)