Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Garage with a shop vac. The vac doesn't do much though in my opinion but I do keep the cover off the sharpener which I'm sure hurts the suction. One expense that I didn't consider when I bought the X-01 in the summer was the kerosene heater I would have to buy in order to sharpen in the winter. It gets cold in the garage!

One expense that I didn't consider when I bought the X-01 in the summer was the kerosene heater I would have to buy in order to sharpen in the winter. It gets cold in the garage!

Mine is in the basement, next to the furnace (hot water). If my timing is off, it can get really hot in there.

Mine is in the basement, next to the furnace (hot water). If my timing is off, it can get really hot in there.

Is being hooked up to a shop vac good enough for a basement? I have heard the dust is pretty toxic from the wheels.

I run a shopvac which attaches to a PVC branch which I've made that attaches to the machine as well as goes behind the wheel. Works very well, given the size of the vac and the tubing.

Hey guys - I joined this forum specifically for this thread and am embarrassed to say that I've read or skimmed all 94 pages. I finally purchased an X02 and I've been practicing on an old pair of rentals the nice lady at the rink gave me. I feel like things are going okay for my first couple of time sharpening but I do have some questions I was hoping I could get answered here.

- When I first mounted the skate in the holder and put it up against the wheel, it was obvious that the blade was hitting very low on the grinding wheel. I went ahead and made a few passes and measured with the bat gauge and it was obvious that my top edge was significantly lower than my bottom edge. I've been adjusting the holder and keeping track of the number of clicks it's taken to get the edges level and I'm wondering if this sounds normal - I've raised the left knob 22 clicks and the right knob 30 clicks. With those adjustments, I've been able to get within 1 bar on the bat gauge. Does this seem within the range of 'normal'?

- Also, since I needed to raise the entire blade as compared with the wheel, should I or should I not raise the pitch gauge as well? I know they say not to touch it, but it makes sense that if you want to raise the entire skate blade evenly, you would need to adjust all 3 knobs.

- Last night I sharpened without touching the pitch knob and was able to get within 1 - 2 thousands of level. Today I raised the pitch knob (keeping track of clicks and measuring with a mic so I could get it back to 'normal'). And again was able to get within 1 to 2 thousands. Based on those results, I suppose the pitch knob doesn't matter.

So anyways, I'm just wondering if all of this is within the range of 'normal'. I guess I just wasn't expecting having to make that large of an adjustment to the holder since it supposedly came from the factor "set up for hockey skates".

Everything else seems to be going well. I'm very impressed with the machine and am looking forward to trying out my own sharpening next week on the ice - during a practice of course!

Thanks!

First off, welcome to MSH. Much appreciated that you took the time to go over the thread, that's refreshing!

What kind of rentals are you sharpening? I think the consensus amongst us is that 6 clicks brings it up 1/1000" The fact that you moved one up 22 and the other 30 leads me to believe there's an issue with the skates you are practicing on.

They're a pair of jr Riedell's. I don't think there is a problem with the blades because it was consistent with both skates. It was also consistent that that toe was lower than the heel. I even tried mounting the skates more fore and aft to see if I could get a different outcome but everything was consistent. I have a spare set of my blades for my personal skates that I can try later today for comparison sake.

When the holder was factory set, the bottom of the blade lined up with almost the bottom of the wheel. It was definitely off the center of the wheel by a substantial amount. So I'm assuming you didn't have to make such a major initial adjustment?

I'll check everything out again. Do you know the measurement for zeroing out the holder? When I measured with a micrometer I came up with .520".

Thanks for your help. I've read many of your posts and always appreciate your insight!

What holder does the Riedell have?

I know the newer rentals (red/black boot that kinda look like a Nike Air Accel) have that molded holder/runner, and the blade is about as thick as a goal runner.

Those are the ones. I mic'ed the blade at 1.20.

I zeroed the holder and mounted my personal skates and it's still definitely low. I won't know exactly how low until I start sharpening.

Based on all this, should I raise the pitch knob as i raise the other two knobs or should I completely leave it alone?

Those blades are thick. I can tell you from personal experience that you will find a disparity between those and your personal skates.

No. Mount the skate, put the toe to the wheel and keep raising until the blade is dead center with the wheel. Do the same with the heel. Once you get it in the neighborhood, you can start tweaking it from there by sharpening and adjusting.

I can calibrate a holder in minutes without a micrometer that way.

Holder adjustments were about the same for my personal skates. With the adjustments I was able to get even edges so I guess it is what it is. I just didn't expect to have to make such a major adjustment. Maybe it's just because I was so attentive after reading all these posts. I assume a lot of people probably just adjust until they get even edges and sharpen away.

I don't know what to say. Any other thoughts? Do you think I'm on the right track?

Just check to make sure the edges are level before you adjust and sharpen. If you have a high edge, it will just sharpen with the same high edge if you don't do anything about it.

If I ever have to do major adjustments between skates, it is always a boot issue.

For instance, I sharpen one of our members' skates at home. he has an EEE boot, custom. The right skate I can sharpen toe first, but if I sharpen the left skate toe first, it is waaay off. The outside of the boot hits the bottom of the holder, so I go heel first, no adjustment needed.

Welcome z71!!

I joined for this thread at first too and now find myself all over the whole forum!!!

Another question for me and my new X-01. When placing the spinner wheel on, I have seen/read some conflicting things on which way it should be placed onto the machine. Does the snap-ring end face towards the ground or ceiling when mounted?

Also, I am using 100/50 for my son now. Would the next logical step be to a 90/75 to try and get a bit more speed/glide and a bit less bite? I am still trying to figure out all this new stuff in regards to sharpening and the angles and such.

Thanks!!

Also z71,

For me being new at this too, I have left the pitch knob alone as suggested and had pretty good success so far. I have only done a few pairs of skates, but it seems to work to just adjust the front and back knobs for me.

hi, new owner of a used blackstone x01. just a question about the stuff you put on for your final pass - wax?. is there a retail place to purchase around oakville/toronto? is there something i can substitute with around the house until i get some? thanks.

Edited by seabird

Thanks Muddy! I skated last night for the first time on my own sharpening. I played an entire game without issue. I felt like the skates weren't perfect but I don't know what it was. I've been getting a 100/50 from No Icing and last night I sharpened with a 95/75. I expected slightly more grip but didn't notice it. I also felt like I had good edges in places on my blades and poor edges in others.

I resharpened them this morning, taking extra time and care, and will be back on the ice this evening.

One question - with the spinner and the wheel being smaller on the XO machines, has anyone ever noticed that a 100/50 on a large machine doesn't always perfectly equal a 100/50 on an XO? Is there any reason for this to be true? Are the XO machines more difficult to sharpen on than a large machine?

Seabird - I can't answer your question as I use "Fine Shine" from Blackstone. You can always order directly from them, especially if you need any other new accessories for your machine.