Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

gotcha. but $2K? certainly not for us home sharpeners. oh well...... :(

The X01 and X02 systems are for home sharpeners. The X02 I have blows the Wissota I owned out of the water.

Yeah, why invest that in into a Wissota when you can just get an X01...

I already have a Wissota that I've had long before the X01 came out. my Wissota does a fine job. no complaints whatsoever. if I was looking for a new one I'd probably give the Blackstones a serious look but as a beer league player I don't think I'm going to see enough upside to justify trashing a perfectly good machine and spending almost $1,000 on a new one. if it was a few hundered bucks I'd consider it. pretty cool though that you can buy the stand alone dresser if you need it though.

Edited by shoeshine boy

on the X01 How many pairs of skates could I sharpen a night before I would need to get the X02. I think I need something like a X01.5 if they made it.

if you're doing skates every day, the x02 is the minimum. And even then I would probably want a full size single head machine.

on the X01 How many pairs of skates could I sharpen a night before I would need to get the X02. I think I need something like a X01.5 if they made it.

Your own or as a business? If just family/friends, I would think one or two pairs a night shouldn't be too bad. But for any sort of business, Chadd is quite right - go bigger.

At the advice of the guys at Blackstone and people on this thread, I have used the "set and forget" method for the back "pitch" knob on my X-12 holder with my X-01. That has worked well. However, I have been asked to do my first pair of goalie skates. I am assuming that "set and forget" doesn't apply to goalie skates. Does anyone have a rule of thumb for how much to adjust the back knob for goalie skates (the ones I am doing are around 0.15in thick). Alternatively, can anyone tell me how much one click raises the X-12 holder? Thanks.

At the advice of the guys at Blackstone and people on this thread, I have used the "set and forget" method for the back "pitch" knob on my X-12 holder with my X-01. That has worked well. However, I have been asked to do my first pair of goalie skates. I am assuming that "set and forget" doesn't apply to goalie skates. Does anyone have a rule of thumb for how much to adjust the back knob for goalie skates (the ones I am doing are around 0.15in thick). Alternatively, can anyone tell me how much one click raises the X-12 holder? Thanks.

You're still only adjusting the height, not the pitch. As JR mentioned, no reason to touch the pitch knob at all.

Your own or as a business? If just family/friends, I would think one or two pairs a night shouldn't be too bad. But for any sort of business, Chadd is quite right - go bigger.

If you're changing hollows frequently the larger wheels on the standalone would be nice too.

if you're doing skates every day, the x02 is the minimum. And even then I would probably want a full size single head machine.

I would imagine every other day maybe 3/4 pairs of skates. I'd say 10-15 a week.

FYI, I have the X01 and there was a question of youth skates with the adult holder.

My smallest child (I have 4 kids) wears size 9 youth. I had 2 pair of size 9 and one pair was not a problem. The other pair that she is now using (the other size 9 had a deffective holder mounting) BARELY fits to the point where I can cut ONLY the needed part of the skate. Some of the tip of the toe is not reachable but that does not need to get sharpened anyway. Blackstone told me the Adult was good down to a 7, but I think that's brand/holder specific.

I'm loving this thing. I have the 95/1 and 100/.50 FBV as well as 7/16 ROH. Rink does 7/16 ROH as standard so I've been using 95/1 mostly for everyone. I"m saving a boatload of time and don't have to worry about the kids edges being good before a game. If they have damage, I just go to the basement. I'm also noticing more about how rushed the rink has been in sharpening. A pair my son got in Aug of this year has much of his left boot ground away making it like it has a shorter radius in the back on 1 foot. I"m happy that I"m taking the sharpening into my own hands so I can pay attention to this stuff and not worry about it.

I just got the X-01 and love it!! Very simple after a bit of practice.

I am wondering if anyone uses the teftop spray from blackstone? I am just wondering what it is and if there is a cheaper version that I can buy local.

I have it and have used it. Honestly, if you are going to pick up a couple other items from them and want to give it a try, go for it, but I wouldnt't make a special order for it (and pay that shipping) and would suggest getting only one bottle to try. In my experience it does make the surface slightly slicker, more important is keeping the surface clean from dust from the sharpening and keeping the felt on the bottom of your holder clean of that debris as well. I think I have applied it once in the last year.