Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Can anyone suggest the "sharpest" FBV possible? I like my skates sharp, and tried 100/75, but didnt seem near sharp enough? Mind you, I liked the "glide" of the FBV, just didn't feel sharp enough, or like I could not cut well enough? Anyone? TY

Can anyone suggest the "sharpest" FBV possible? I like my skates sharp, and tried 100/75, but didnt seem near sharp enough? Mind you, I liked the "glide" of the FBV, just didn't feel sharp enough, or like I could not cut well enough? Anyone? TY

Try the 100/1

Based on the thread I decided to give the Flat Bottom V a shot, I typically skate on a 1/2" and I'm going to give the 100/75 a go. I'm very curious to see how it feels.

I went from a 1/2 to 100/50 and it works great for me. So you might try both and see which one you like better.

I'd really like to understand how much "glide" is gained with the FBV cut under normal game conditions? I've used both and can't say that I can exactly glide end to end with one push off, nor can I say that I feel any less gassed from all that gliding during a game. Maybe I'll try different sharpenings on either feet and see which one drags more?

I've used both and can't say that I can exactly glide end to end with one push off...

Three strides and I can glide a full lap around the rink. It all depends on your skating and the ice conditions.

Chadd - Here in AZ a lot of times the ice is softer and damp from poor resurfacings and at some rinks there are areas of ice that more resemble a pond surface on a warmer winter day. Would the FBV be a better option than ROH with variable conditions on the same ice sheet.

Chadd - Here in AZ a lot of times the ice is softer and damp from poor resurfacings and at some rinks there are areas of ice that more resemble a pond surface on a warmer winter day. Would the FBV be a better option than ROH with variable conditions on the same ice sheet.

I don't know if anything is going to be "better" for ice like that, but the ability to glide better would seem to be a good thing on softer ice like that. You could get the glide with a shallower ROH, but the FBV allows you to also have more bite when you need it on the slightly harder ice as well.

Jimmy....so, I just say 100/1? to the fella who sharpens my skates? TY

That's like a 1/4" equivalent. I would strongly suggest not using that one.

That's like a 1/4" equivalent. I would strongly suggest not using that one.

He asked for the sharpest, that is the sharpest. I have several customers using it, and they like it and have no problems. They were on 100/75 prior and wanted more bite. Same scenario as OP.

Shayno, yes, if they have the 100/1 spinner, that's what you'll ask for.

Thanks Jimmy.....I know for a fact that others I play pick up with, would not want their skates this sharp....but I have to have them this sharp! Tried the FBV 100/75, then tried the 100/50 and was not near sharp enough feeling...so I am going to try 100/1 and report back! Whats the second sharpest? 100/2 ??? Thanks again guys! Appreciate the help with this!

100/75 was to much bite. I am going to go to 100/50, think that will be better. Love the glide of the FB though.

??? Wouldn't 100/50 be more bite?????

Edited by Shayno

Thanks Jimmy.....I know for a fact that others I play pick up with, would not want their skates this sharp....but I have to have them this sharp! Tried the FBV 100/75, then tried the 100/50 and was not near sharp enough feeling...so I am going to try 100/1 and report back! Whats the second sharpest? 100/2 ??? Thanks again guys! Appreciate the help with this!

??? Wouldn't 100/50 be more bite?????

If I'm reading the chart correctly... No should be less.

Sorry JR the 100/1 (sharpest) and I was thinking the smaller the # on the right.....the sharper the cut? Found chart! TY

Edited by Shayno

Well....went to my LHS and tried to get 100/1, like jimmy suggested, but they told me the sharpest FBV cut they can do is 100/75! So went with 5/16 old style...Cheers!

I have a teammate who claims one of the local shops is doing FBV but not with a Blackstone machine. for some reason I thought FBV was a Blackstone specific thing so my question is this: can you do FBV on other machines?