Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

habsfan87

08-09 Montreal Canadiens Thread

Thought I'd make a new one for the new season, really looking forward to their home opener tonight. Still excited to see the whole team on the ice, still waiting for Laraque and Higgins, oh well I'll take the 2-0-1 start anyday.

I'm pleasantly surprised with how Sergei has come out of the gate flying this year...Looking forward to Higgins getting healthy too. But, it's going to be hard to find someone to sit:

Line 1A: Kovalev/Plekanec/Andrei K

Line 1B: Tanguay/Koivu/Latendresse

Line 1C: Sergei K/Lang/Higgins

There aren't many teams in the League that can put those kind of lines together...how do you check/line match against a team that can ice 3 'scoring' lines.

and a '4th' line made up of any combination of:

Laraque/Kostopolus/Lapierre/Begin/Dandenault/Chipchura

I think we may see Chipchura back in the AHL. Not necessarily to develop...he's ready for the NHL...there just isn't a place for him right now. When Boullion comes back, Dandenault may have to be released.

Going to a game in Feb...can't wait. Bell Centre is crazy any night of the year...but the 100th year, against Toronto...this is going to be great.

I'm pleasantly surprised with how Sergei has come out of the gate flying this year...Looking forward to Higgins getting healthy too. But, it's going to be hard to find someone to sit:

Line 1A: Kovalev/Plekanec/Andrei K

Line 1B: Tanguay/Koivu/Latendresse

Line 1C: Sergei K/Lang/Higgins

There aren't many teams in the League that can put those kind of lines together...how do you check/line match against a team that can ice 3 'scoring' lines.

Sergei has been outstanding and may outscore his older brother this year although Andrei should have a great year as well. With the top 3 lines right now I think Kostopolous is out of place and Latendresse is playing OK, but isn't really at the same level as the other top 8 forwards when the team is healthy. Kostopolous dumps and chases on every play. When you're playing on the 4th line with Begin and Dandenault that works, but when you're playing with Sergei K and Lang then I don't think that's always the best play. When Higgins gets back I think that problem will be solved and Kostopolous will be move to the 4th line. I think that Higgins will play with Koivu and Tanguay (who has really impressed me with his vision - I saw him score some nice highlight goals when he was with the Avalanche, but didn't realize what a great passer he was until this year). Lang has played a great two way game so far - I was worried that he may have been past his prime, but he's shown he's still a very effective player so far (he's definitely an improvement over Smolinski last year). While I think that the team can still win with Latendresse playing on one of the lines I also think the other top 8 guys are all much better than him - Max Pacioretty would've been an upgrade based on the preseason alone, but we'll see how things play out.

I haven't seen that much of Laraque other than some fight highlights so we'll see what else he can bring when he's in the lineup. I hope Halak continues to get some playing time and Montreal doesn't trade him unless they get an outstanding deal. Halak is a quality goalie - it's obvious the team wants Price to be the number one guy and eventually Halak will probably have to leave to be the number one guy somewhere else, but it'd be nice to have him for this season to give Price some rest and have him in case Price got injured. I did manage to catch a Marlies Bulldogs game last year and Brock Trotter looked pretty good so hopefully he continues to develop well in the AHL this year.

Yeah I was going to say something about Halak and rumours of Montreal showcasing him. They're in a good sitution tho, they don't have to move him but can if they do, Denis was at one point a number 1. You never know with injurys and or slumps, good to see the depth on forward on the other hand.

It'd be nuts to be there tonight, congrats to TSN for showing the ceremonies.

Pregame ceremonies in Montreal always give me chills...even on TV.

[EDIT] GREAT start...ugly middle...decent finish. But a win is a win...and at 3-0-1, We (as fans) will take it.

i hope we dont drop dandenault... i thought he was useless until the past 4 games.

He's been grinding it out with max lapierre and they're killing it right now..

It should Max and dandy every night and a rotation between kostop, begin and when we play team with fighters, then well put in laraque

Thoughts on the hit on Andrei Kostitsyn tonight??? Borderline at best...hopefully he isn't out long.

Did anyone else see Price & Gorges at the end...CBC just re-showed it. As they go in to congratulate each other after the game...they switch helmets...Gorges puts on the goal mask...Carey wears the players helmet...so not only are they playing well...they appear to be having fun too.

Ha, didn't see that, hope kostytsyn isnt hurt too bad, good for the team to show some muscle afterward, althought the hit wasn't terribly dirty, they aren't going to take that crap anymore.

IMO, the hit was fine - it was high, but the force wasn't driven at Andrei's head. Sauer hit him roughly in the collarbone, driving him into the glass, then finished the check taking him to the ice. It looked like a head-on-ice injury more than anything else. Had he not been watching his pass, he would have been fine.

That said, the way Montreal responded was impressive. From Koivu taking Sergei aside on the bench to Kostopolous taking on Sauer when he wouldn't fight Laracque, then Laracque pounding on Fedoruk without actually trying to kill him, it was a measured response that never hurt the team. First and foremost, they got the win and protected the shutout for Price most of the way. Sure, Georges took a couple of roughing minors while he was making a point to Sauer, but he always took somebody with him, and he didn't turn around and murder Doan when he stepped in. Tough and intimidating but class all the way - which is basically what Gretzky said afterwards.

The helmet-swap between Price and Gorges was really neat. Haven't seen that for a while...

If anyone was going to break up the SO on Price....I guess I'm glad it was Doan...they are cousins.

As I noted on the Habs board yesterday...the entire organization is tougher now...Hamilton hasn't been putting up with shit either this year (after getting pushed around badly last year). Ryan Flinn has 4 fights in 4 games...and they've been quick to stand up for a teammate...much like we saw last night in Montreal.

Props to Sergei for trying to help in defense of his bro...and to Koivu for his aside on the bench. I wish people would stop questioning his leadership of this team.

Thoughts on the hit on Andrei Kostitsyn tonight??? Borderline at best...hopefully he isn't out long.

Did anyone else see Price & Gorges at the end...CBC just re-showed it. As they go in to congratulate each other after the game...they switch helmets...Gorges puts on the goal mask...Carey wears the players helmet...so not only are they playing well...they appear to be having fun too.

HavingFun.jpg

I loved Laracque's answer to those journalists who probably asked why he didn't take care of Sauer after the hit on Kostitsyn. Translated from french: "Sawyer's not a heavyweight, he'll never fight me. If i jump on him or headshot him, i'll get what, 5-10 games suspended? And if i get a 5:00 and Phoenix score 3 goals on the power play, what's the front page tomorrow? "

I loved Laracque's answer to those journalists who probably asked why he didn't take care of Sauer after the hit on Kostitsyn. Translated from french: "Sawyer's not a heavyweight, he'll never fight me. If i jump on him or headshot him, i'll get what, 5-10 games suspended? And if i get a 5:00 and Phoenix score 3 goals on the power play, what's the front page tomorrow? "

George is a smart fighter...he knows when it's right...and when a fight will only hurt the team.

(from tsn.ca "Ice Chips")

Forward Andrei Kostitsyn did not take part in practice on Sunday, and head coach Guy Carbonneau said he would be astonished if he was in the lineup on Monday against the Florida Panthers. Kostitsyn left Saturday's game feeling dizzy after being hit by Coyotes defenceman Kurt Sauer against the glass in the second period of Montreal's 4-1 win over Phoenix. Sergei Kostitsyn will likely take Andrei's spot on a line with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Kovalev. Francis Bouillon has been cleared to play Monday, although Carbonneau would not confirm whether he will play. Chris Higgins is still questionable for Monday. Jaroslav Halak will start in goal against Florida. - TSN

That is some heavy-duty medial index protection on Price's blocker... wow. He must have been tagged there a few times...

The Habs look really good this year. They just seem to be able to grind and score regardless of who's on the ice. Their power play this year is working pretty well too. A lot of fun to watch. I think they're gonna be one of, if not the, top teams in the East.

The Habs look really good this year. They just seem to be able to grind and score regardless of who's on the ice. Their power play this year is working pretty well too. A lot of fun to watch. I think they're gonna be one of, if not the, top teams in the East.

Haven't been able to see them this year but I'd be amazed if their PP was better then last year (everytime I watched them last season it dominated beautifully!) how is their PP with the changes in D (Streit to be specific) IYO?

Does anyone know what songs the Canadiens are using when they score goals?

Something by Simple Plan

I couldve sworn I heard T.I's "Hurt" in there after TK scored today. I was pumped.

I think it's a combination of Hurt and something Simple Plan did, I think it was talked about in another thread.

The powerplay still looks good, Kovy and Tanguay hooked up beautifully...I just don't know why Kovy's line was the second unit for the majority last night it seemed.