Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

habsfan87

08-09 Montreal Canadiens Thread

I'm hoping a "return" to the organization is in mind down the road, they have alot of character behind the bench already, but hopefully in some way he will. imagine if he was around last year for Carey.

I'm not sure what role Patrick will take if he does come back that way...It's hard to argue with the job Rollie Melanson has done.

Kovalev has great skills but he seems to have that "Don't you know who I am?" mentality on the ice. Not to mention, imagine what his career would have been like if he felt like playing more often.

Couldn't agree more. It seems like he thinks nobody should be allowed to try and hit him, even though he is always dangling around with the puck.

I don't care what Kovalev does in his career, I don't think I'll ever get over the flop job he did against Quebec that one year....one of the most disgusting plays I've ever seen in any sport. It's a shame too, because he's probably one of the most skilled players of all-time

I thought the Roy ceremony was nice, good job by whomever in charge to stagger the events so CBC could show both him and Wendel....I still thought the crowd's reaction was a bit tepid for one of the best goalies of all-time, but I guess that's what you get when you leave on the terms he did.

If anyone wants to see the WORST way to lose a game...set your VCR's, PVR's and DVR's when the Habs highlights come on tonight.....*SIGH!*

....I still thought the crowd's reaction was a bit tepid for one of the best goalies of all-time, but I guess that's what you get when you leave on the terms he did.

Really??? I thought it was an awesome ovation. even if the volume wasn't what you'd expect...it was long.

Losing to the Islanders hurts enough as it is, but having an own goal send it to overtime? Absolutely brutal.

awful :(

These next few days are going to be tough on O'Byrne. I have no idea what he was trying to do sending the puck to the net, but that play has basically summed up his play for that past few weeks. He seems to be jittery and unsure of himself out there. I've seen glimpses of what he is capable of doing, and I know that he can be a good player, he just needs to react quicker and play smarter. Im curious as to how Carbonneau is going to handle this. I think the smartest thing he can do is tell him that this stuff happens, its shitty, and just go out there and play even harder.

These next few days are going to be tough on O'Byrne. I have no idea what he was trying to do sending the puck to the net, but that play has basically summed up his play for that past few weeks. He seems to be jittery and unsure of himself out there. I've seen glimpses of what he is capable of doing, and I know that he can be a good player, he just needs to react quicker and play smarter. Im curious as to how Carbonneau is going to handle this. I think the smartest thing he can do is tell him that this stuff happens, its shitty, and just go out there and play even harder.

I think he'll end up back in Hamilton for a while. Waivers scare me though, because there is potential in him...someone will want him.

I think sending him to the minors would just shatter any shred of confidence he has left, and if he were to be called back up it would just be hard for him to play at his best, knowing that all eyes are on him. As hard as it might be, the best thing the coaching staff can do is downplay this whole situation, and get him back out there.

I think sending him to the minors would just shatter any shred of confidence he has left, and if he were to be called back up it would just be hard for him to play at his best, knowing that all eyes are on him. As hard as it might be, the best thing the coaching staff can do is downplay this whole situation, and get him back out there.

That is what I was thinking. And if they do decide to demote him, let him play in another game or two first. Don't let the fans dictate who plays and who doesn't.

Saving grace is the next few games are roadies....back at Home Wed after that would be NASTY. Montreal radio should be fun for the next few days, though.

That's exactly what they've been doing so far this season but... the price to pay is getting a little high IMO as he's responsible for almost a goal a game. He's not just playing nervously and making errors, he's also very weak 1 on 1. Most talented players can just deke past him once in a while, a scary situation.

Lines tonight versus Buffalo:

Forwards:

Higgins - Koivu - D'Agostini

Latendresse - Lang - Kovalev

Begin - Plekanec - Kostopoulos

A. Kostitsyn - Lapierre - S. Kostitsyn

Defence:

Markov - Gorges

Hamrlik - Dandenault

Bouillon - Brisebois

Goaltender:

Price

Scratches

Tanguay (neck) Laraque (Groin) O'Byrne (brain....just kidding) **healthy**

Lots of changes. Hopefully...

1. D'Ags can click with Koivu & Higgins

2. Kovy & Lang remember what it was like to play together in Pittsburgh years ago.

3. The Kostitysn's are PISSED OFF and play great.

4. Le Dandy does the job on 'D'

I'd like to see what D'Agostini can do with Kovy. I liked his energy last night

I think:

Tanguay / Koivu / Kovalev

D'Agostini / Plekanec / A. Kostitsyn

Latendresse / Lang / Higgins

Begin / Lapierre / Kostopolous

Would work. Sergei needs a game or 2 in the PB to get his head out of his ass. Although, if Tanguay is hurt into next week....it might be hard to get him out.

This could work....

D'Ags / Koivu / Kovalev

Higgins / Plekanec / A. Kostitsyn

Latendresse / Lang / Kostopolous

Begin / Lapierre / Le Dandy

...but that means O'B goes back in...he might need another game or 2 away from the home crowd.

Probably nothing. Kovalev has 0 goals in 13 games, looks like he decided to take this season off.

Probably nothing. Kovalev has 0 goals in 13 games, looks like he decided to take this season off.

He's been getting lots of shots. Had lots blocked...and has made some nice passes to linemates that haven't finished. To say he's "taken the season off" is a bit premature.

The number of chances Lang, Higgins, Plekanec have missed ...not to mention wide point shots from Markov, Gorges and Komisarek is ridiculous.

It isn't that far fetched when the guy is on pace for 19 goals this season. Although, I guess you're right. Given his goal totals over the last 4 seasons his trend is a lot closer to 19 than the 35 he potted last year.

What's the "Unsung Hero" Award that Montreal gives out every year...Streit won it last year...for a guy who, with no real fanfare consistently performs well and helps the team...?

Anyways...I think Josh Gorges is a candidate this year. He's been solid all year.

Story on the Habs new Practice facility:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258987&lid...=headlines_main

The trainers must have been giddy. They got everything they asked for. I can hardly remember getting ANYTHING I've put on a wish list to my boss...let alone all of it! :lol:

[EDIT] Now with picture goodness--->>> http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...;galleryId=8855