Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sitzlejd

Youngsters in beer league?

Played against a kid tonight that is playing a few levels below his talent level and we shut him down all night. Halfway through the third period, I poke the puck off his stick so he turns around, takes three or four strides and runs me. I saw him coming and rag-dolled it so I didn't get hurt and he still whipped my head around into the boards. I'm very close to being done with this shit. Broken nose last year, split lip and concussion this year (still have a pounding headache from the hit) and all of it over a game. Assholes ruin the fun of the sport.

Played against a kid tonight that is playing a few levels below his talent level and we shut him down all night. Halfway through the third period, I poke the puck off his stick so he turns around, takes three or four strides and runs me. I saw him coming and rag-dolled it so I didn't get hurt and he still whipped my head around into the boards. I'm very close to being done with this shit. Broken nose last year, split lip and concussion this year (still have a pounding headache from the hit) and all of it over a game. Assholes ruin the fun of the sport.

Anyone stick up for you? Bastards like that usually get run in the locker room or outside after the game. That is quite unfortunate that that happened. I'm impressed that you didnt take your stick and whack him across the face, I dont think I have that sort of restraint. I wish I did..jackasses..

Anyone stick up for you? Bastards like that usually get run in the locker room or outside after the game. That is quite unfortunate that that happened. I'm impressed that you didnt take your stick and whack him across the face, I dont think I have that sort of restraint. I wish I did..jackasses..

Our team has a lot of guys that stick up for each other, never a problem there.

The way you were dressed, you were asking for it. Just kidding, sometimes I offer that up to a ref when a guy on our team gets a penalty.

I don't have to deal with the youngsters in our league (18+), but there seems to be quite a few HS aged kids that show up at the pickups this time of year. They disappear when the HS practices start. Had one 14 yr old come out with his dad this summer and he did just fine with a mix of juniors, div 1, and old timers.

Skated a pick up a few years back where the guy who organized it brought out his daughters (14 and 16). The younger girl filled in at goal and was reasonably skilled. The skill level of some of the other skaters was low and I was just waiting for one of the girls to get hurt. One guy got pissed after the girl in net robbed him and the next time up the ice wound up for a full slapshot from just outside the dots. Pretty low class move IMHO.

Had another HS kid spray snow in a goalies eyes just the other day. Well the goalie stood up and decked him, knocking him to the ice. The kid got a lesson in pick up hockey etiquette the hard way. He was bitching about it the rest of the night, but I think everyone felt he got what he deserved. Just lucky his parents weren't watching the skate.

My local rink has a deal where you can play Spring and Summer seasons if you are going into your 2nd year of Bantams. A parent/guardian must cosign the waiver, but you're allowed to play. However, fall and winter leagues, the rule is cut and dry. You must be out of high school to participate.

not a fan of it. 18+ rules sound good to me. it's not as if the kids have nowhere else to play.

around here the rule in our adult league is "No person under 18 can play pickup with LAIHA from the months of September through March. Minors can play pickup in the summer months, if a parent signs a waiver (can't be any adult or coach). This is due to a BYHA non-compete clause. It does not matter if you play BYHA or not."

i like the 18+ rule, but it would just suck for a person who graduated at the age of 17 because they couldnt play adult league and they were out of high school.

Im one of the youngest if not the youngest in my beer league (age 19) and I gota say its annoying with some peoples kids play. Most of them are better then us and its rough not to play hard against them. Just use to playing with adults where you can bump off of.

Some kids can deal with it and understand the fact everyone has to go to work in the morning..where some don't, and wind up head high slappers with no regard. Ours is 18+, but most of the HS kids go on to college for a couple years and are usually mellowed out by the time they return.

I know its much different but i play roller hockey and some of the kids i play against are 12-13 years old, im only 17 but im to scared to go as hard as i can incase i hurt them, 2 days ago i knocked somebody out and he was about 10 years older then me. if i can do that to somebody who is 10 years older imagine what would happen to somebody of that age

I dont think 13 year olds should be playing hockey espicially ice hockey against fully grown men, no matter how big or skilled they are..... They are still kids and get hurt to easily

I'm not a fan at all, mostly for selfish reasons. Beer league and the gentleman's league shinny are the only ice times available to me.

A lot of the HS players play pretty recklessly, and don't move the puck well. There are a couple of younger guys who "get it" and are great to skate with. Even so, I'd rather that it be kept to adults. I'm a big guy a powerful skater. I also worry about accidentally hurting the younger guys who really don't know when to back off.

I would have to agree with everyone here. It takes away too much from the game when there is someone skating shorter than the crossbar. I recall many instances where this has happened. Once at "stick time" we started playing pick up and the younger kids wanted to play and i was skating with my head up looking for the pass and i steamrolled a 12 year old. I felt like a huge douche and helped the kid up but i mean it could have been avoided if little kids wouldn't try to join in on everything. Just the other weekend there is a 16 or 18+ pickup on sat nights at this rink and there was a kid out there that looked like his legs were going to snap in half cause he couldn't stand up or skate. I didn't know if he didn't get the memo that its 18+ pick-up, but the rink let him pay and play. I don't get it, the rink has 18 and under stick times and adult stick times as well all through the week.

My uncle has rented ice for a mostly private drop in game since his 20s (hes 55 now.) He has a few friends who've been there since the beginning. So a few years ago he started bringing his son, who was 14 at the time. He was about 5'5" and weighed like 150, strongly built. The kid was a dynamic player, great skater and great puck skills, but he never passed. At one point he tried an end to end rush (as usual) and another guy went low on him and laid him out. He popped up, his dad said "I told you not to hog the puck, your not the only guy here" and all was good. The kid is now 17, moving to AAA, and still skates with us in the summer. Problem is, now he brings his 11 yearr old brother and their 11 year old neighbor. These kids are four and a half feet tall, have decent skills for their age but theyre so little everyone just goes around them. and because these kids are running around guys who aren't trying to stop them, they're convinced they're dominating, and they take 5 minute shifts. Older guys tell them to get off the ice, and the Dad protects them with lines like "Oh don't be mad because the kids can still skate and you can't old bear." (seriously, he calls at least 4 people "old bear"). It's the most annoying thing in the world when these kids play with us, it saps the energy out of the game completely. So my thoughts on it are if you play like a man, play with the men. But if you are clearly still a boy, stay home or watch.

my rec league used to allow kids but we had to stop. it was great to see guys playing with their sons and daughters but our rule was always 15 and up. we had a couple of kids who were "15" several years in a row. even though Dad signed a waiver it occurred to us that with divorced parents we needed both signatures on the waivers because we had no idea who had custody. wouldn't want to get sued by a pissed off custodial parent. we eventually decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I don't mind it. If the kid can play and keep up, awesome. If they're in good spirits and understand playing with adults, why give them a problem? If they start getting cocky or stupid is another thing, but if a 15 year old can play and conducts himself/herself well, I don't mind at all.

I am questioning the credibility of the original post. No well-run legitimate beer league would allow 12 year old kids to play. In such a litigious society the liability is too great. Most beer leagues have strict policies. Every men's league that I know of is !8+. Is the original poster talking about pick up hockey? Big difference from Mens/beer league.

I think if little kids want to play adult, Allow them to just let them know if something were to happen to the it would be on them. Personally I have no problem with older people trying to hit me. Granted I have been playing for about 9 years(im 16) I have always grown up playing with the older guys. I would practice with my brothers team. I did not mind if they tried to hit me or go all out because I knew it would make me better or it would teach me what not to do.

To end my thought I would say let kids play with parent consent and Tell the adults not to give them special treatment. I know that if I was a kid I would want other people to play 100% against me.

I am questioning the credibility of the original post. No well-run legitimate beer league would allow 12 year old kids to play. In such a litigious society the liability is too great. Most beer leagues have strict policies. Every men's league that I know of is !8+. Is the original poster talking about pick up hockey? Big difference from Mens/beer league.

It happens, not as much as it used to, but it does happen.

To end my thought I would say let kids play with parent consent and Tell the adults not to give them special treatment. I know that if I was a kid I would want other people to play 100% against me.

Say whatever you want, but people let up and others get upset if they don't I've seen it happen way too many times. There was a woman on the team we played the other night and you could see everyone let up every time she got the puck. It wasn't intentional, just a natural reaction.

last thing you want your "kid" to do is play pickup/beer league hockey if he is serious.....so many bad habits develop

most coaches HATE it when kids are playing shinny/pickup

only practices and games

It happens, not as much as it used to, but it does happen.

Say whatever you want, but people let up and others get upset if they don't I've seen it happen way too many times. There was a woman on the team we played the other night and you could see everyone let up every time she got the puck. It wasn't intentional, just a natural reaction.

I understand that but its like in competitive leagues. what if you have a girl guys won't let up