Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mm705

high shots

im not totally sure this fits the equipment topic, but lately i am having a problem with the accuracy of my shot (snap/wrist). its not that im having a problem shooting low, i can shoot on the ice fine, but when i shoot for a top corner, especially when im moving at or close to top speed, i have a hard time hitting either top corner. im using a roenick pro pattern blade which is basically a bit of a heel wedge and an r2 xn10 reg flex shaft. the reason im askin this instead of just goin out and shooting a million pucks is because it really just started when i switched to the roenick. slap shots arent affected just snap shots when im goin fast, well fast for me. anyone else had an issue like this?

Could be the difference in curve, keep practicing it will get better once you adapt to the curve, however the time it will take cannot be determined, everyones different.

its not fluttering at all its movin and spiralin pretty much perfect, its just that my favorite place to shoot for is gloveside high, and it seems like every time its about 3 inches give or take high. alotta crossbars but mostly the glass thats just about even with that corner. i am thinking about a stiffer shaft but im not blaming equipment for this, the only thing that i think could be worth changing is back to my kariya pattern, but ill give this some more time and practice.

Sounds like it's the extra loft causing the problem. You have to shoot a bit differently with this than the old blade, if you don't adapt you will continue to shoot high.

can you be more specific on like how to shoot differently? ive heard people talk about fallin in love with heel wedges, im not seein it quite yet but what have you guys done to adapt, anything out of the ordinary (roll wrists over harder, aim low etc.)?

roll wrists, generally heel wedges take alot of strength in the arms, at least more-so than other curves. I like to use a snapping motion rather than wrist shots. When I use Drury's I never take wrist shots, slap or snaps all the time.

Aiming a bit lower for starters. I find it hard to keep my passes and shots on the ice when I use anything with loft.

chadd did you decide to go back to something with less loft?

I'm using a Ranheim Synergy right now and it has a little bit of loft and I still put it right around the crossbar every time. My high shots come from my form. I get a lot of zip on my shots but I have some bad habits that tend to elevate the puck.

see my wrist is my best shot hard and usually pretty accurate, i found the kariya to be a really good curve and really accurate, but, as youll kno if youve ever seen one, the curve is kinda close to non-existant. i figured it wouldnt hurt to change curves but i havent seen the accuracy of my old KP, no flutterballs just a good amt of high shots. definately considering goin back to a KP, maybe with a bit more curve.

Sounds like the RP may not be for you. May I ask where you are getting your blades from? You could always go with some customs as well that may give you a way around finding KP patterns in stores/online.

yeah, i've been having the same problem too, i changed from whipflex/toe curves to regflex/heel curves. my slap and snap are a lot better than with the whip, but my shots are going high. i've found i have to really make a concerted effort to just follow through low or else it eats glass -- that's by rolling my wrists more and really trying to stay low through the shot, if that makes any sense. i think before i was trying to "stand up" through my shot and not bending my knees. don't know if that helps, but it's solved my problem for the most part.

I never have any noticeable problems with height/accuracy on passes or shots when I change patterns and I use the biggest wedges around.

I never have any noticeable problems with height/accuracy on passes or shots when I change patterns and I use the biggest wedges around.

Well, if you've consistently used big wedges then you would have already learned how to control your shots with them.

Obviously, for people switching from toe or mids to big heels there is going to be an adjustment period.

True, but even then the learning period wasn't that much. I would say the only problem I really had when going to the wedges was just learning to use snapshots more than wristers. On the converse of that though I shank shots when I use fat Euro-type curves so I can feel their pain.

Pretty much identical to the Inno Kariya/Larionov. 43% also has pics of his S. Kariya Easton, which is also very close if not the same.

Pretty much identical to the Inno Kariya/Larionov. 43% also has pics of his S. Kariya Easton, which is also very close if not the same.

The only difference between the two Kariyas patterns is left versus right.

I haven't seen anyone using an Inno Kariya but I remember it being longer than the S. Kariya. I have one of those and they're shorter than what I'm used to.