Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yakus

Master Haglund's topic

I have them on both my heals aswell. Pretty good ones too. They give me no pain at all. It seems that ever since i started to wear OxySox (thin socks) and switched skate companies two years ago they haven't gotten any worse.All in all, they don't bother me one bit. Although it looks kind of sick to some people when i wear flipflops....so i have to explain to people that im not some sick freak. Just a hockey player...

Oh...and the ladies love them :rolleyes:

I've got terrible heel spurs. I wore grafs forever and they werent that bad at all. But since I've switched to bauers theyve gotten brutal. I really dont think its a fit thing either because my foot defintly doesnt slide around in my skates

ive seen kids younger than me get heel spurs from skates and ive been wearin grafs for quite some time now and bauer and nothings happend to my foot yet. i just may be a lucky one :D

I wore CCM's forever and never had a problem. I switched one year to bauer's and then I got the heel spurs and a lot of pain when the skate started to break down. I switched back to CCM and they seem to fit me better at the heel so no more heel pains.

I have one on my right heel...it hurts like a S.O.B. when I lace up. After skating a while the pain goes away.

And I have been a Bauer guy all my life (except for one pair of Mission rollers).

ive seen kids younger than me get heel spurs from skates and ive been wearin grafs for quite some time now and bauer and nothings happend to my foot yet. i just may be a lucky one :D

ive got a nice set of them from grafs

i have haglunds' but i don't know if they're from wearing my timberlands too loose or wearing my 8090's too loose :(

I have Bauer/Haglunds bumps on both feet. The right side isn't too bad but my left is pretty large. What it is doing is altering my left skate fit. My right side boot fits well and looks perfect. My left is vastly different and my foot is sort of cocked in the boot. The bump is on my outside left heel and is causing my foot to be cocked in my skate and in my shoes. I have checked my shoes and they all have this wear pattern as well. A trip to the podiatrist is in order. Has anyone experienced this? Should I get my left heel of my skate punched to accomodate this? I always would change my skates after 2 years and noticed this wear a little. But now that I havent changed my skates in 4 years or so I guess it really shows. I guess I have compensated for this over the years with my skating. But I do have problems with the tuuk steel leaning in the holder, especially the left skate. I was chalking this up to improperly mounted holders, but maybe this is contributing to it. Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

I've never noticed my feet being crooked in my skates, but they may be :unsure:. I do get the areas punched out to accommodate the bumps though, and it helps with pain and such.

I am hoping that someone possibly at the LHS level has dealt with this problem before. I really dont want to buy new skates. Maybe the heel can be punched in that area and then my heel wont be tweaked in the heel cup.

jwr, are we talking about one bump on each heel, to the outside of each foot? Something similar to bone growth? I used to wear a pair of Mission Flyweights and the heel cup is very shallow, and they were so painful and I notived the bumps grown in size, and when I switched to Vapor 10, they didn't hurt anymore. I saw a podiatrist, and he told me that mine was made up of some bone growth, like bone spurs, and some layers of skin build-up, a natural way of the body trying to pad itself from friction points. He advised soaking my feet and using one of those stone like blocks to file some of the deadskin off, if that was what I wanted.....

I guess what you can really do to eliminate the friction spot is to have someone punch out the heel cup at that particular spot.

I have no pain with these bumps. They are to the outside. Right side is nowhere near the size of the left one. What is happening I think is when I have my heel in the heel cup it is not sitting correctly and causing the whole boot to be tweaked. My left skate has never felt right as compared to my right skate. Can you punch the heel of a skate?

Sorry to bring up an old topic but rather than asking how to remover there spur's, does anyone know of a prevention for them. I am feeling the pain in that area from my grafs, i have seen others with huge spurs and would ratehr than have to have surgeny i would prefer to find a way to prevent them. I have tried a thin layerr of socks under my usual socks which did stop most of the pain. But it was still there slightly and i guess that will still cause the spurs.

I skated in Bauers (3000s, 5000s, Vapor 8s) before switching to Graf 705 and I stopped tying my skates so loosely that my heel would slip up and down. When I locked my heel in, even with the spurs I could lock my heel in the 705s, the pain went away and the deposits stopped getting bigger.

It's funny how you can usually tell someone's a hockey player when they have those bumps on their heels. Not everyone has them, but a significant enough amount do.

I've had bad heel spurs for about 10 years now and unfortunately I've found that there's no real way to prevent them. If you've ever had a pair of skates improperly fit (which most of us have had at some point in our lives) then chances are you've started to develop them. For a lot of people they just start to develop if you're on the ice 5-6 hours a week or more. I've found through experience with different skates/socks/possible solutions (ex: spot punching my skates) that there's no way to guarentee they won't develop or hurt. Its simply a question of MINIMIZING pressure on that part - or any part for that matter - of your foot. Because of how big mine have gotten and the position they are on my ankles, i have a serious problem with bauer skates. That having been said, no two people are the same.

My suggestion for minimizing the risk of getting them or having them develop more:

Go to a LHS you trust and speak to a sales rep you are confident are going to sell you the right skates and the right fit, not whatever they can getyou to take.

Spend lots of time in the skates when being fit to see if pressure points come up.

Try more than one or two pairs of skates. I've had sucess with graf g3s but they fit my foot for more than one reason, and again, this may not necessarily apply to anyone else. I've also had great sucess with the one90's but to each his/her own

Finally, I know some sales reps will hate you because you'll be a pain to get in and out of the store, but you'll be happy in the end.

All that having been said, any person should be getting the proper fit anyway, whether its to prevent bone spurs or not.

Ok thanks, i have just brought a pair of graf 735's so i guess they will have to keep wearing them, i cant take them back now. But i will speak to my LHS and tell him of the problem, and if theres nothing he will do then i will wear the 2 pairs of socks, lace them as tight as i can, and hope they dont develop to much, as i have a hockey camp for 4 hours a day for 2 weeks and i can see that could cause big pains and problems.

I did a camp last year for 2 weeks of 5 hours a day in my Vestor pros and never had a problem, i had to get new sates 8090's half way throught the season because the Vectors were way too torn up (and too big) so far no problems but reading this im not looking forward to it. A kid last year xxx's and he was in so much pain lol.

When they were a big issue for me I asked the podiatrist about having them removed. He said it's not a difficult surgery, but the deposits lie underneath the achilles tendon. So recovery takes 9 months if I remember correctly. He added that it was a fun procedure, cutting through the achilles, but I'm sure I looked horrified confirming I wasn't interested anymore.

Thats nasty. The only way i can see getting them removed if they get to bad is if i have another injury which will sideline me for the the same amount of time. God forbid.

Sure, it is easy, but you are not going to like the answer. Do one or more of the following:

Use much thicker socks, like hiking boot socks

Punch out a hole in the skate liner around where the material is causing the bump

Ice the bump down every time you skate

Get one of those silicone gel heel thingies the figure skaters use

http://www.icesk8.com/access40.htm