Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
aal

How to order custom Bauer skates

What part of the country do you live in? You're going to pay a fair bit for custom skates. The custom fitting is not crazy expensive, the high cost is a result of limited model selection and the fact that you pay full retail price for the skate. This is a significant investment, you want them to be perfect. Tracing your feet just isn't going to get you the return on your investment you want. There is a lot more that should be involved in the process. When I was fitted for my custom TotalOnes the process took close to 2 hours and involved a good foot measurement, trying on various skates in different models, pencil tests, multiple measurements in different areas of each foot, a discussion of each of the choices available for each customizable option, a tracing of my feet and more. Even after all of this it still took a couple of bakes, a punch out and a slight stretch to get a perfect fit. If you are going to pay the extra $$$ for custom skates you want someone who is very knowledgeable, competent and familiar with the process. I'm from Canada but now live in a non-hockey state. The pro shop near me said I could come in and he'd trace my feet and order some skates. I found another skate choice at that time. Several years later I was going to the other side of the state for a tournament, at a rink that had an employee who was well known for his knowledge and familiarity with the process. I set up an appointment several months before I was in town and got fitted. If you read through the custom fitting posts you'll see that people can drive hours and even to another state in order to get a proper custom fitting.

I have feet that are shaped like a ducks and have always had a very difficult time with skates. YMMV.

You really need an expert to do this. If you try to do it without knowing what you are doing, then you are setting yourself up for a improperly fit pair of "custom" skates, as well as a LOT of money down the drain.

Kovy speaks the truth. I had a pair of X60's custom made by a shop in MA. The fitter didn't take any foot measurements besides length and width and a trace of each foot. I now have a pair of 800 dollar paper-weights and no skates. Also, asked for a traditional felt tongue like the ones that came on the old supreme series, got one with an EXTRA thick metatarsal guard which made it look like I had a muffin sticking out the top of my skates. Asked about other allowable changes, she didn't seem to know much of what was available, didn't have a custom order sheet to work with. Worst. Skates. Ever.

However, I will concede that it was my fault for going through with the order. As a longtime member of MSH, I am ashamed but I felt awkward about saying anything and the shop has a good reputation. Even got a recommendation from someone here on MSH.

Edited by Neo5370

This is one of my favorite threads. It is amazing how many times the train runs off the tracks when guys try to get "fitted" for custom skates. One of the first questions the skater should ask the fitter is for how many years and how many times have they done custom skate fittings for. The guy taking the measurements and info should ask a lot of questions but so should the buyer.

I suggested to him in private that he go to another store.

However, he told me he didn't have that option as he was getting the skates for free and then asked me what the fitting process was. He then got offended when I wouldn't consult (yes, giving advice on fitting IS consulting) on his fitting; and that makes me "greedy." Mind you, money was never discussed; all I said was that I don't have anything to gain from doing custom fittings anymore, which is true. I no longer work in hockey retail; why should I have to go into someone else's store to fit a customer for custom skates, and have to raise the overall cost of the skates if I do enact a fitting fee? That's why it isn't worth it to me. But yeah, that makes me "greedy."

And best of all, scoffed at my experience because he'll "learn how in a week or so."

That whole sense of entitlement thing...

"learn how in a week or so". Haha. Sorry but there is an old saying in the shop for customers like that: I have already forgotten what you have yet to learn. And yes the experience that JR and I have is worth something because we took the time to gain it. If the customer is not willing to understand that then he really has a lot to learn. Try asking your car mechanic to fix your engine for free.

BTW, any experienced custom skate fitter will tell you he is still learning something with every fitting because every fitting is unique. The fitter that thinks he knows it all knows nothing.

BTW, any experienced custom skate fitter will tell you he is still learning something with every fitting because every fitting is unique. The fitter that thinks he knows it all knows nothing.

You said it best. To "learn in a week or two" is just too funny. That's like me working on a car and going, OH well, I worked on my Firebird, now I can work on any car! I'm still helping people with fixing cars and STILL learning new stuff. Same goes for fitters.

Does anybody know if its possible to order a boot that was already made for a pro? Have a pair and love them but would like a replacement don't see any serial number or anything like with easton pro boots. But can bauer do this just with a reference or is there a specific way they track which boot is which? Thanks Guys

Normally there is a serial number on the inside underneath the insole that has the info that bauer would need to recreate the fit but you'd have to go through a retailer.

Should be handwritten under the right insole. Mine has a 5 digit number & underneath that is the skate length, forefoot width, heel width and a T6.

What size and width should be custom ordered (Bauer APX) to get the length and width same as RBK 11K D/AA? Oversized toecap is oversize toecap in length or wide?

Thanks

Was thinking about going over to the Ice House in the future for a skate fitting as I've had trouble finding a reputable shop out on Long Island. Every skate I've tried is not deep enough around the 3-4th eyelet from the top. I have trouble lacing my skates up. I'm a little tired of the hockey shops that are just pushing sales (not that I blame them) and hoping to find an answer.

Spoke to the custom skate department at Bauer today; there will be a new skate for those who want a traditional option; Nexus Vapor cut.

The guts of the skate will be traditional and look like a Nexus, however, will be cut like a Vapor. It'll be an option for those who like the feel of a Vapor, but prefer a traditional type of skate. Price isn't finalized yet.

Also those wanting APX2 will have to wait til end of April for production to begin.

• Like 1

The ice house in NJ with DarkStar would be well worth your drive over.

Go for it. I'm a happy customer.

Add another recommendation.

Spoke to the custom skate department at Bauer today; there will be a new skate for those who want a traditional option; Nexus Vapor cut.

The guts of the skate will be traditional and look like a Nexus, however, will be cut like a Vapor. It'll be an option for those who like the feel of a Vapor, but prefer a traditional type of skate. Price isn't finalized yet.

Also those wanting APX2 will have to wait til end of April for production to begin.

Regarding the APX2, will they be accepting orders before then but not producing til end of April?