Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
aal

How to order custom Bauer skates

Could someone please enlighten me on what happens at Bauer once they receive a custom skate order? I have ordered 3 custom pairs in 3 years and they never seem to get it right. The last 2 orders specifically stated "add comfort edge" in the comments section, and neither pair came with comfort edge. Also, my last pair had the x60 liner, which was as requested, and now this pair came with a leather material. I never said anything about changing the liner. I appreciate the quality of the skates, and I'm not planning to turn this into an issue, but I'm interested to know how these mistakes happen. Thanks

Whenever I did my custom spec sheets, I would add more to the comments; I would put "add Total Edge Comfort to top of quarter" or I would put "Add bigger upper to increase volume." That's why I've always said that filling out the spec sheet is extremely important. I always got what I requested.

All things considered, you can reject the skate. That's how all of these pro-stock chasers get skates...

Whenever I did my custom spec sheets, I would add more to the comments; I would put "add Total Edge Comfort to top of quarter" or I would put "Add bigger upper to increase volume." That's why I've always said that filling out the spec sheet is extremely important. I always got what I requested.

All things considered, you can reject the skate. That's how all of these pro-stock chasers get skates...

Thanks JR.

Of course pros can reject or just throw skates away, but is it the case for us mere mortals? ;)

when I was going through the process my LHS informed me that all custom orders are final and unless something has gotten horribly wrong (ie wrong size that just doesn't fit) no returns would be accepted?

I did end up getting a pair where the sizes were mixed and did get it replaced, but I think the LHS had to eat the defective pair...

Of course pros can reject or just throw skates away, but is it the case for us mere mortals? ;)

when I was going through the process my LHS informed me that all custom orders are final and unless something has gotten horribly wrong (ie wrong size that just doesn't fit) no returns would be accepted?

I did end up getting a pair where the sizes were mixed and did get it replaced, but I think the LHS had to eat the defective pair...

Neither of those should be the case. You should be able to reject it if you didn't get what you asked for, and the LHS shouldn't have to eat the cost. Rejections happen infrequently, but they do happen.

I don't know the industry standard, but I do know that if you place an order for a product you are contracting with the merchant to exchange the performance of promises. You promise to pay them, and they promise to deliver a product. If the merchant delivers something materially different than the product you ordered then you don't have to pay. The X60 liner is one of the features of my previous pair that I really valued, and this pair has shown up with something different. My contract with Bauer is voidable by me. I don't think I'm going to exercise that option because I can't wait another six weeks for the replacement, and it's not worth the hassle.

If it is a fit issue, that's on the fitter. If you asked for something and then changed your mind, that's on you. If you said you wanted option A and they gave you option B, that's on the manufacturer and you're well within your right to reject them.

Hi all. I am defenitely in the market for some custom skates. I have had nothing but constant issues with all of my skates from back in my competative days up till now and I am 30. My latest pair of Totalones finally seemed like they would do the job but have given me other issues with fitment as well as manufacturing defects. But what I would like to ask is if a custom bauer or othr brand of skate can meet the following criteria.

I need an E-EE sole but not neccessarily the depth that comes with a EE. Also with my EE totalones the top eyelit is useless to me and makes my skates feel like ski boots digging into my shin just above my ankle bone. I also need a certain depth so that when I tie my skates up, the laces wont bite into the top of my foot. Lace bite has been an issue and now with these totalones I find the top eyelits digging into the front of my ankle bone. Hell I could go on and on.

I sat down and talked to a local equipment repair shop that does a lot of Pro and Public repairs and they seemed to think my EE Totalones were too wide, but I explained that if I was to go any narrower, my foot often won't sit on the bottom of the sole and feel like it is sitting on the sides of the boot. They looked at my foot and said it was a normal looking foot and weren't sure what my problem could be. I am definitely at my wits end.

Edited by zaytser

Hi all. I am defenitely in the market for some custom skates. I have had nothing but constant issues with all of my skates from back in my competative days up till now and I am 30. My latest pair of Totalones finally seemed like they would do the job but have given me other issues with fitment as well as manufacturing defects. But what I would like to ask is if a custom bauer or othr brand of skate can meet the following criteria.

I need an E-EE sole but not neccessarily the depth that comes with a EE. Also with my EE totalones the top eyelit is useless to me and makes my skates feel like ski boots digging into my shin just above my ankle bone. I also need a certain depth so that when I tie my skates up, the laces wont bite into the top of my foot. Lace bite has been an issue and now with these totalones I find the top eyelits digging into the front of my ankle bone. Hell I could go on and on.

I sat down and talked to a local equipment repair shop that does a lot of Pro and Public repairs and they seemed to think my EE Totalones were too wide, but I explained that if I was to go any narrower, my foot often won't sit on the bottom of the sole and feel like it is sitting on the sides of the boot. They looked at my foot and said it was a normal looking foot and weren't sure what my problem could be. I am definitely at my wits end.

It sounds like all the issues you are having can be solved with a pair of custom skates done right. You said something about a relationship between width and depth. There is no relationship between those variables. You have a heal width, a forefoot width, and the ability to add width to the inner or outer side of the arch area. Those things are independent of depth. You can control depth as well by altering the size of the uppers, or by using varying tongue thicknesses. If you want more depth, maybe a thinner tongue would free up some space below the laces for your foot to go. I don't really know what you mean by, " I find the top eyelits digging into the front of my ankle bone." Maybe you could elaborate on that a little.

I did that for one of our members, Jeff, whose inner ankle bones were so forward on both feet that the ankle padding was shifted an inch forward. When you look at his skates, you see how much the boot extends on the inside ankle.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39635-another-gem-from-jrs-custom-shop/page__view__findpost__p__856630

Unfortunately, he didn't take a picture of it.

The fitter must know what to do, and more importantly, EXPLAIN what to do on the spec sheet.

It sounds like all the issues you are having can be solved with a pair of custom skates done right. You said something about a relationship between width and depth. There is no relationship between those variables. You have a heal width, a forefoot width, and the ability to add width to the inner or outer side of the arch area. Those things are independent of depth. You can control depth as well by altering the size of the uppers, or by using varying tongue thicknesses. If you want more depth, maybe a thinner tongue would free up some space below the laces for your foot to go. I don't really know what you mean by, " I find the top eyelits digging into the front of my ankle bone." Maybe you could elaborate on that a little.

JJ, I will do my best to explain, but it really is complicated. From my understanding because I am in a 7 EE totalone, my instep is deeper (my heel goes back into the skate further correct.) Therefore the top of the boot wraps around my ankle and lower shin too much. The top edge of the boot (comfort edge which by the way provides zero comfort) on both sides digs into my shin bone as I skates and turn etc. Also the second last eyelit (I don't use the top eyelits as they are way too high) digs into my inside ankle bone when I tighten my skates, but more so the front of the knobby inside ankle bone. So not only do I get lace bite from these useless totalone tongues, The stiff boot material causes horrible pain to the point of their being a calcium deposit or bone spur from it. Now I have tried a little thicker insole to lift my foot up, but it doesn't help enough. I have tried different thickness or foam under my socks and nothing provides any relief. I just sort of suck it up and deal with the pain until I can't any longer. Also I have found by droping down a size my foot just doesn't feel comfortable nor does it even touch the bottom of the boot, yet when they measure my foot it isn't even a true EE or even an E width. Also when going down to an E width, the eyelits don't wrap over top of my foot enough and the laces end up cutting off the circulation to my toes.

So if the above paragraph made any sense at all, basically what I need and is a boot that is just deep enough to have enough wrap over top of the middle of my foot so that the the skate laces don't dig in, and also so that the top of the boot doesn't wrap around the front of my ankle and shin where I flex forward. Now if I cannot get a lower cut boot, then I fear The Bauer customization route is useless to me. I Also find that factory skates always have an arch in the boot that is to far back and not stretched enough to accomidate my flat long arch. I have tried every insole one can think of excpet fot the custom Graph insoles. I currently just cut out a temporary insole from a roll of Blue Camping foam that is about 5/8" thick.

JJ I could talk to you or anyone else for an hour or more with the BS I have gone through growing up and now in my 30's with skates. It really makes playing hockey very un-enjoyable now a days.

So if the above paragraph made any sense at all, basically what I need and is a boot that is just deep enough to have enough wrap over top of the middle of my foot so that the the skate laces don't dig in, and also so that the top of the boot doesn't wrap around the front of my ankle and shin where I flex forward.

If the skate laces are digging in, the solution is not to try to have the boot wrap over the top of your foot. You need sidewalls that are high enough to accommodate how deep your foot is. You need them high enough to ensure that the laces can connect side to side without your foot bulging up into them. You can have custom skates made that have higher sides.

Regarding the issue where the boot wrap on the ankles causes pain, you can have the eyelets moved back, and then the extra material trimmed off. That should not be a problem either.

And finally, the pain on the side of your ankles. I think your best bet is to get some gel patches to cover the bad spots so they heal, and aren't so sensitive. Maybe get a tongue that is wider and goes around the sides of your ankles a little bit to create some space between the side of your leg and the top of the boot.

I Also find that factory skates always have an arch in the boot that is to far back and not stretched enough to accomidate my flat long arch. I have tried every insole one can think of excpet fot the custom Graph insoles.

Sidas insoles are amazing! You can't complain about arch issues until you have exhausted all possible solutions, and that is especially true when you have not tried the best ones.

Read the whole thread, good stuff! Does anyone know of a good custom skate fitter in Michigan? Telling the wife i'm going to fly to a different state to get custom skates would be a really hard sell. She thinks $300 skates are too much money :facepalm:

I just ordered custom total ones. I was fitted by two different individuals and one of them thought that Bauer is not doing custom nxg's yet and they would be building using the totalone platform. The other fitter didn't know what they were using right now. The order form specified nxg. Any idea of whether Bauer has transitioned to the nxg?

I found a good referral for skate fitting in the Detroit area but the guy said the upcharge is around $200 and takes three months.

I'm about 6'1'' 175 lbs

Narrowish and low arch feet -

Size 8.5 - i'll probably end up backing out the heel on my left skate since my left foot is slightly bigger

Super skinny ankles / ankle joint area

I play twice a week max

What skates would fit a profile like mine or do i just have to pony up and get custom?

Any pointers are welcomed and much appreciated.

I bought a pair of one .9's and they fit ok, better than my last skates. My feet are not as 'narrow' as i thought but the fit isn't as nice as i like for spending $650. So i'm throwing in the towel and getting customs. I'm meeting with a Bauer rep next Saturday for a custom fitting. Any words of advice or things to pay attention to during the fitting process? I'm not sure how good the rep is with this process so any 'must pay attention' to things would be great to know.

Thanks!

I think I need the arches altered for my flat feet and a correct sizing. Left foot bigger than right. The thing is my ankles are so boney/skinny finding a good fit is tough. Evidently, my feet are not ad narrow as I thought per my last skate fit. General advice on the process would be great. Thx again

Huh?

I thought a spec of doing custom sktes is that you could..?

I read in here that you can build skates off orthics (Made by your docs) ...? Most do wear orthics usually get it because of flat/wide feet who need arch support.

Clarity, i need some.

First off, a proper-fitting orthotic is built off the skate, NOT THE OPPOSITE. When you go to a podiatrist, they will ask you what the orthotic is going into. It would be best if you go in with a skate so that when they make the orthotic, it fits the skate properly. That is why whenever I had people with just arch issues I would tell them that they didn't need custom skates and direct them to a podiatrist.

Now, if you want custom skates after your well-fitting orthotics, it is advisable to send them in with the tracing and measurements so that when the skate is made, the orthotic fits properly and everything else is in place.

Does anyone know what options are available in custom skates for fitting around a bunion?

Tried on a pair of EE .9s today and they felt great everywhere except over my bunion (great toe side). It is impinges right where that black rubber/plastic triangle is located between the end of the toe cap and start of the composite....

The guy at the shop told me he only has "some" success with punching in that area....

I'm a little gun-shy to drop that amount of cash considering the above. It would be worth it to spend more money to guarantee that I wouldn't have a problem in that area. Is the wider toe box option in customs a solution to this problem?