Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
aal

How to order custom Bauer skates

+ 1 with JR. The holder size has to be specified on the order form. Didn't the skate fitter show you the form with the options?

I never saw a sheet. Sucks because I like to tinker and would've loved to look it over options.

I always made it a point to go over everything on the sheet and give them all of the options, then explain what they are, then explain what would work best in their situation.

That way, there is never a question about "Why didn't you tell me about this?" because I did.

what is the stock width of T1, forefoot true E and what is the heel?

also just to comment, the stock width of the forefoot in the APX vs x60 feels different to me, IMO APX feels wider

My current skates are T1 Classics in level 1 stiffness. It was a bit of an experiment. In some respects it's great, but in others not so good. Basically I like the level one on the ankles, but I would like stiffer down lower. Does anyone know if Bauer is willing to do a mix? Are they capable of putting more stiffening material down low and less up top?

Thanks

I went level 1 stiffness also, and I am very happy thus far. I really don't see how this skate would feel any better if it was stiffer?

I'm not aiming for feeling better. It's performance I'm after. My current pair feels amazing, but the lower part of the boot is not strong enough to handle high degrees of lateral pressure.

In discussing available options I figured I'd share my opinion on one of my favorite more low-key features on my X:60s. I opted for the double thick plastic tongue insert because of lace bite turned tendinitis, and though it took some time to gain curvature, I am blocked from any discomfort whatsoever. The thick plastic is also in a very useful space just below the end of my shins and has been doubly useful in protecting me while blocking shots.

Do you do blade re-alignment AFTER you get the customs; or can you get the customs with the blades already aligned correctly? The former is what I've seen but then you have MORE holes, potentially compromising the footbed, no?

Do you do blade re-alignment AFTER you get the customs; or can you get the customs with the blades already aligned correctly? The former is what I've seen but then you have MORE holes, potentially compromising the footbed, no?

If you're doing alignment post-fitting, you get the boots unmounted/undrilled.

Hmmm...pretty sure it's been mentioned earlier in the thread that you can order a wider toe cap. Darkstar and I had 1/8" added to the width of the right toecap on my custom APX's.

Honestly, I've been wearing these skates for 9 months now and I don't have a single complaint. No pressure points, no blisters, no pains, no break-in. Could not be happier. They're great whether I just lace them up for when I coach or if I crank them tighter for when I play. If you're spending this kind of money on a skate, I'd recommend going the custom route if retail sizes don't satisfy you. Just hope whoever else does, has someone fit them that can translate and interpret what you want/need as well as I did. This board's a great resource for finding the right people. Keep track of your likes/dislikes of your current skates, try retail sizes of whatever you're ordering to figure out what feels right and what doesn't. And make sure you give as much clear feedback as possible.

Thanks!

You have experience with them? They do great work?

Not as far as custom skates, but I have bought skates and pro pants from them. When I bought my skates( Bauer 1 100), they were great with sizing me up and looking after me, and they have a really knowledgeable staff. Plus Doug gillmour shops there lol.

I'm gonna take the lack of replies as not much.

I have custonm toe caps.

I've had my custom Total Ones for a while now. I have a short foot with an A heel, EEE ball area along with needing a very dep fit. There is simply no off the shelf skate currently availabe that could be made to fit my feet. JR did my fitting, couldn't have been more helpfull. I have custom toe caps. Unfortunately I can't remember if it was width only or if it included a taller "roomier" fit as well. There is some customizing that can be done with the toe cap.

Hunter - just looked up your spec sheet; we went one size bigger toecaps.

On the old booklet, there isn't much that can be done on the newer "anatomical" toecaps other than size. On the old rounded toecap, the wings could be shaved as well as the edges ground, presumably because the toecap is a bit thicker than the newer ones.

I didn't see it mentioned...does anyone know if it's possible to customize the instep height on custom skates? I tried on a pair of X7.0s in my size and the length and width was perfect but the top of the boot was crushing my foot. I ended up buying a pair of CCMs because at this point I'm not willing to throw down for a high end pair of skates, but in the future I might. Stock Bauers just don't seem to fit, though.

I didn't see it mentioned...does anyone know if it's possible to customize the instep height on custom skates? I tried on a pair of X7.0s in my size and the length and width was perfect but the top of the boot was crushing my foot. I ended up buying a pair of CCMs because at this point I'm not willing to throw down for a high end pair of skates, but in the future I might. Stock Bauers just don't seem to fit, though.

I figured I'd bump this question back to the top as I'm wondering the same.

I've got retail 9D TotalONE skates......

I've learned the hard way (i.e. after purchase...and baking) that the stock boot is NOT for my foot shape. It seems I'd would have been better off in something like a Graf 709. That being said, I'm hoping that it's possible, via the custom order process, to get a TotalONE skate built for my 'Graf 709' foot shape.

In a perfect world, I'd have a local dealer that was well versed in Bauer's custom order process, and they could direct me accordingly. However, this isn't a perfect world and the reality is that none of my LHS have ever ordered a custom Bauer skate. None of the shops currently have a copy of the order form and I'm told that they've emailed the rep to request one, but as of yet, no joy. I left a voicemail for the rep, but didn't hear back. I thought I'd try here as you folks seem to know even more than the company reps do about the product, etc. They (the LHS folks) seemed to think that it was NOT possible to increase the depth on a custom Bauer skate (not sure what they based this guess on).....but I recall hearing/reading something about using the upper from the next largest skate size to pull off this trick. For the life of me, I can't find the info now.

Can any of the fit experts fill me in on if this can be done?

If it can be customized for volume, I'm left wondering how the TotalONE 'should' fit, purely from a depth standpoint. For example, would the 'pencil test' type of measurement produce a perfectly 'flush' fit at all eyelets or does one need more or less room in different regions of the boot? I've seen this skate described as an 'extended range of motion' skate, and seeing as how the boot doesn't seem prone to flex, I presume the depth is key to getting the most from this type of skate. While my stock/retail skate falls short on volume from eyelet 3 all the way to the 3rd eyelet from the toe, there seems to be excess volume on the top 2 eyelets. Would I want this excess volume (i.e. a 'flush' pencil test) removed on these top 2 eyelets or is that extra room a component in how this style of skate works?

Thanks in advance for any info. I can post some pics of my foot buldging out of my retail T1's if that would help clairify [or if anyone just wants to laugh at me for wasting money on these :) ]

- Steve

Edited by sps3172

They can alter almost anything on a custom boot fit-wise. Toebox size, forefoot width, heel width, pitch, reinforcement, tongues as well as alter the amount and thickness of the ankle padding.

• Like 1

They can alter almost anything on a custom boot fit-wise. Toebox size, forefoot width, heel width, pitch, reinforcement, tongues as well as alter the amount and thickness of the ankle padding.

Thanks for chiming in.....

It's the 'almost' anything part that I'm curious about and specifically, can the depth of fit (at the instep) be increased....and how? Furthermore, if one can manipulate the depth, what is an 'ideal' fit (from purely a depth standpoint) on Bauer "extended range of motion" skates.

Edited by sps3172