Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ExitTwoEighty

Mission Wicked Light Classic Roller Hockey Skates

perfect time for me to give a pair of sprungs a try

Do it!

It seems like it'd be hard to predict the price on these. On one hand, they were the top of the line skate back when they came out. On the other hand, could they really justify them being $400 when thats almost the price of their NOW top of the line skate and $100 more than what you can get last years boss's for?

If they're a new release, and not leftovers though.... that can't make any $$ @ $100 a pop.

I loved my first generation wicked lights, except when the bolts broke, they were proprietary and nothing else was able to hold the wheel in place for very long. Even though I own a local hockey shop, I may have to buy from the competition on this one... How do you other LHS owners feel?

It seems like it'd be hard to predict the price on these. On one hand, they were the top of the line skate back when they came out. On the other hand, could they really justify them being $400 when that's almost the price of their NOW top of the line skate and $100 more than what you can get last years boss's for?

Agreed.

I think at any price over $249, its going to be a tough sell, even for the true die-hard WL fans. There is a bunch of newer and arguably better skates in that price range that would be a much more easy to sell to the general consumer.

On the other hand, if that really is a Magnesium chassis, the cost of that skate should be well over $300. Chassis is $160, Wheels are $60, and somewhat high level bearings are another $40. That is $260 right there, easy, without a boot.

Now drag the whole 'SMU' thing in, and that doesn't help one side of the argument. Knowing HockeyGiant, however, they'll find a way to mess it up, and have them on clearance soon after.

I owned a pair of the originals...they were outstanding skates at the time...Then came the D-limiteds and they were the best fitting skate I had ever put on my feet...way better fit for me than the WL....Now I have the 08 Boss skates and they are the best skate by far I have ever used...Way way better fit than the WL....I dont see how they sell enough of these skates at anything over $199 to make a profit....Like Thockey17 said HG will probublly mess this up...Im guessing Good boot...6000 aluminim frame(painted black to look like a mag) with some mid grade wheels and bearings....If thats the case then they could move some skates at $99 easy....But so far the " HG Wicked SMU" skates and sticks have been pretty worthless...Just my opnion though

It will be really interesting to see how these sell. They are quite beloved skates... I wonder how close to the originals these will be. It's definitely an interesting idea to bring back a classic but I agree the price point is maybe $100 too high.

My thought is that HG will sell through a bunch of pairs on a first wave at full price and then run coupon promos like they usually do with their SMUs to make the price more in line with with $300 to $250 estimate.

This Wicked remake would have been well timed after the recent Wicked line, and before the 1st Gen. Syndicate line. It may be too late now, especially during the recession, for someone to drop $400 on a pair of remade vintage skates.

Rofl I can go pick a pair of Proto VSI at a local shop in my size for 110.00

As for the wicked lights DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn thats to rich for my blood.

I gotta say that I wore both the VSI and WL back in the day and these were the best Roller hockey boots I ever used. Since I have only used ice boots and mounted them on a chasis. This looks identicle to the original WL boots! I know that there are a lot of die hards who would gladly pay $400 for this skate. Good move by Mission -- this skate has been missed since it's last production run.

It looks like the the sole of the WL is not carbon like the original, can anyone confirm?

Neither the WL nor VSI outsole is the same as original...

It looks like the the sole of the WL is not carbon like the original, can anyone confirm?

Nylon Mesh for the VSi's

Glass mesh for the WL's

(the pages have been updated with basic specs)

Didn't Justin say somewhere earlier these WERE the same as the original, just a special for HG? The post above also has the outsoles, and to the best of my knowledge my Proto VSIs were a glass outsole.

If these are the same, count me in. The Proto VSIs were my first "high end" skate and worth every penny. I still have them and could probably skate in them. The carbon chassis eventually cracked, but I swapped several different chassis on there and the skates just kept going and going. By far the best skate I've ever had and I've used a lot. I always wanted to try the Wicked Lites though...

I agree with the previous poster-They are very good skates but to try to push them in this economic climate will be a challenge. Price points are a little to high. Plus their are skates on the market now such as Tour, CCM and the new Mission Boss Black's that are overall better performing skates when you factor in are the important spec's...

I think these are a smart investment for anyone who is about to spend $300 to $400 on a skate right now. They are proven quality skates that I think show the best compromises in boot construction. A skate is always too heavy, too light/flexible, or too stiff etc., but these models are overall the best boots I've used. There have always been trade-offs.

If you do decide to pull the trigger on these, and the boot resembles the same quality construction as the originals, you'll get a lot of value out of them, perhaps 3-6 years or more of use.

I disagree about these not stacking up performance-wise to current skates - if those are mag/aluminum 80-80-76-76 frames with Swiss bearings, they are better than any stock option I see out there.

I'd like to get more tech specs though... like footbed models, chassis material, boot interior shape, etc.

And props to Mission for responding to this cult demand! I think its a rad thing to do before the Bauer thing. Thanks guys!

Also wanted to point out the irony that Mission is releasing skates known for their high durability right before working with Nike/Bauer, which has been known in certain recent years for pricey ($300-$500 US) high end/performance skates (One90, XX, XXX) that can be worn through and disposed of in a season.

Like pointed out here: http://www.epinions.com/review/Bauer_Vapor...nt_170351169156