Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

"Neutral" face blades. Sorry, I don't get it

Ok, so looking at the pattern DB, the options are

Closed, Neutral, Open, Slightly Open, Very Open.

I understand the difference between the closed, and open, all the various stages of open that is.

But what is a neutral face.

I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm just not getting it. It seems like it's either open, or closed, if it's not closed, it is varying shades of open.

So what does neutral mean.

Sorry, I've had a lot of stupid questions recently, I'm sort of improving, so the basic questions are starting to mean a little more to me now

No, closed is when it folds over. Neutral is what you're thinking of when you think closed.

For instance, my custom blades are neutral. Whenever I am shooting high I heat them up and step down on the face, closing the curve.

I think neutral has absolutely no shovel to it and closed actually has a reverse shovel on it. That's always been my take on it as I've seen blades that actually have negative shovel on it.

is it soemething like (looking down the toe of the blade left is the face of the blade, right is the back)?

neutral |

closed \

open /

i believe most of them got it right but if u look at some neutral blades is not always | i think its neutral because the manufacturers leave the blade alone after they curve it...so they don't do anything to face of the blade

i believe most of them got it right but if u look at some neutral blades is not always | i think its neutral because the manufacturers leave the blade alone after they curve it...so they don't do anything to face of the blade

I don't think so. There might be slight discrepancies from blade to blade but it's not because the manufacturer intended for it to be that way.

I really like the neutral faced blades a lot now. It helps prevent me throwing it over the net and everything seems easier with it. I think going with a completely closed face would be going too far for me. And I've had several arguments over whether or not curves were neutral or closed, sometimes it seems impossible to tell.

OK, so now I get it. Cheers folks.

So, If I really like the depth and curve of the Thornton curve, but would like the face just a hint more open, then the afinagenov curve might work for me? It's essentially the same curve, with a neutral face instead of closed, and a 5 lie instead of 6.

I use a CCM OPS with the thornton curve, and I like it a lot, but would prefer a whippier stick. I have a whip flex CCM grip shaft, that I like, but didn't like my blades, and couldn't find the thornton curve locally. So I got the afinagenov curve Sunday, will get to try it out Friday night.

Thanks for clearing it up for me

I really like the neutral faced blades a lot now. It helps prevent me throwing it over the net and everything seems easier with it. I think going with a completely closed face would be going too far for me. And I've had several arguments over whether or not curves were neutral or closed, sometimes it seems impossible to tell.

lol ye same here...plus it doesn't help every site lists the curves a lil differently

If your CCM shaft is tapered, KCI has Sherwood RM9 Tapered blades in the Coffey curve, which is a clone of the Thorton.

Thanks for the tip, but it's a standard shaft. I bought an Afinagenov blade on Sunday in Fairfax. It's essentially Thornton with a neutral face (which I now know what neutral means), so I'm hoping it will make it a little easier for me to get the puck up. I know it's all technique, but this might aid me. If I had been able to get the puck 3-4 inches higher on sunday, I would have had a game tying goal with about 30 seconds left.